Any US Medical School vs. Melbourne (Australia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AstroZzz

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

I am a non-Canadian international student, and I feel very fortunate to be accepted to both a US MD program (ranked 50-ish) and the University of Melbourne in Australia. Could somebody with knowledge of both medical education in the US and Australia tell me how strong/well-rounded is Australian medical school compared to US MD programs?

I have the feeling that although the University of Melbourne is ranked higher on global rankings, the medical education and education, in general, is far better here in the States.

Any opinion or suggestion is appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

I am a non-Canadian international student, and I feel very fortunate to be accepted to both a US MD program (ranked 50-ish) and the University of Melbourne in Australia. Could somebody with knowledge of both medical education in the US and Australia tell me how strong/well-rounded is Australian medical school compared to US MD programs?

I have the feeling that although the University of Melbourne is ranked higher on global rankings, the medical education and education, in general, is far better here in the States.

Any opinion or suggestion is appreciated. Thank you!

What country do you hope to complete a residency and/or practice medicine in?

You should be deciding based on where you want to practice and how the Visas work for residency if you don't have citizenship in either country. That's by far the most important factor, you'll learn medicine just fine either way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What country do you hope to complete a residency and/or practice medicine in?
I do not have a specific preference. Although I had my undergrad in the States and love the atmosphere here, Melbourne is such an exciting city to live. So I guess my focus is mostly on the quality of medical education. Could you share some your knowledge about the pros and cons of the medical education of both countries?

You should be deciding based on where you want to practice and how the Visas work for residency if you don't have citizenship in either country. That's by far the most important factor, you'll learn medicine just fine either way.
Thanks for the reply. I understand that visa should be a big concern. However, although it might be hard to get a work visa, it should be manageable and I do not have a specific preference for either country. Could you share some your knowledge about the pros and cons of the medical education of both countries?

Thanks for the reply. I understand that visa should be a big concern. However, although it might be hard to get a work visa, it should be manageable and I do not have a specific preference for either country. Could you share some your knowledge about the pros and cons of the medical education of both countries?

The point is that you will have a much easier time securing a residency and job in the same country you do your medical education. If you really have no preference (and I'm sure if you really sit down and think about it, you will), pick the one that appeals to you more and plan to stay there through residency.

Reactions: 1 users
I do not have a specific preference. Although I had my undergrad in the States and love the atmosphere here, Melbourne is such an exciting city to live. So I guess my focus is mostly on the quality of medical education. Could you share some your knowledge about the pros and cons of the medical education of both countries?

You will receive a fantastic education in either country, which is why you will want to focus on where you plan to practice.

You may face hurdles as an international graduate in either country. If you want to practice medicine in the US go to the US MD school without exception. Your path will be much more difficult if you graduate from Melbourne and then try to match into the US.

If you want to practice in Australia be aware that there is a requirement for international graduates to practice rurally (or underserved area).

How you plan on financing your school should also play a role. I'm not sure what type of access you will have to loans in either country.

If you plan on returning to your home country to practice then you will be fine in either case.

Reactions: 3 users
For what its worth its easier to leave the US and go to a comonwealth country to practice medicine than the otherway around. I'm pretty sure you wouldnt have to redo residency if you wanted to go from US to Australia but you almost certainly would have to redo residency going AUS to USA

Reactions: 1 user
For what its worth its easier to leave the US and go to a comonwealth country to practice medicine than the otherway around. I'm pretty sure you wouldnt have to redo residency if you wanted to go from US to Australia but you almost certainly would have to redo residency going AUS to USA

This is a really good point. I'll look into it. Thanks for bringing it up!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Another thing is im pretty sure you'll make way more money regardless of specialty if you practice medicine in the US even after you control for the cost of attendance which is almost certainly more expensive in the US

Can't speak re: med in Australia, but I'd suggest avoiding using rankings, US News or otherwise, in your decision. I don't feel that they're really a predictor of your personal experience at a school unless it's super elite like #3 or something.

Reactions: 1 users