rmpagnt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2004
Status
Still no word from the hallowed halls. Interviewed in Jan, has anyone heard anything? Does UT even send out denials or waitlists? Dr. Coleman only said that if we don't hear by march 20, begin to be worried. Anyone?

brandiwine1160

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Status
rmpagnt said:
Still no word from the hallowed halls. Interviewed in Jan, has anyone heard anything? Does UT even send out denials or waitlists? Dr. Coleman only said that if we don't hear by march 20, begin to be worried. Anyone?
Of course I haven't heard anything, they enjoy torturing us too much to let us know one way or the other.

OP
R

rmpagnt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2004
Status
brandiwine1160 said:
Of course I haven't heard anything, they enjoy torturing us too much to let us know one way or the other.
:scared: I would pass that off as a joke, but my tummy hurts with the honest truth... need Tums and an acceptance.

Just stick with it. You could always call and speak to Dr. Coleman's secretary. She can tell you if there's any activity or of any movement has been made. They do a lot of late acceptances so don't give up.

ScottW3

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just got my acceptance today. I interviewed in Dec. Infosource says they mailed my app to the school on Oct. 6th.

Moni

Go Cards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
I interviewed in late October and got an acceptance letter middle Dec. It might make a difference that I am an AR resident. I think we are considered separately. I would say that my stats are average w/ a 3.7 GPA. Good luck!

Does anyone know where they are going to live in Memphis?

I live in the Arbors - phase I on mud island.

I'd say a good bit of the students live on the island as well. If you're looking at Apartments look at the Grove, Arbors, Island Park, and the Estates. I may be missing one but who knows. They're kind of pricey so a roommate is generally a good idea.

There are plenty of options.

As far as acceptances go, they're interviewing for the last 8 spots now, but i'm sure people will back out for those on the waitlist.

OP
R

rmpagnt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2004
Status
CJWolf said:

I'd say a good bit of the students live on the island as well. If you're looking at Apartments look at the Grove, Arbors, Island Park, and the Estates. I may be missing one but who knows. They're kind of pricey so a roommate is generally a good idea.

As far as acceptances go, they're interviewing for the last 8 spots now, but i'm sure people will back out for those on the waitlist.
How did you hear they were looking for the last 8 spots, what are your sources?

Moni

Go Cards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
CJWolf said:

CJW - By luck I have been transferred to Memphis for my job...moving in May...thinking about buying a house. There are some cheap, nice homes around Rhodes College posted on realtor sites. Do you know if that neighborhood is sketchy??

Moni said:
CJW - By luck I have been transferred to Memphis for my job...moving in May...thinking about buying a house. There are some cheap, nice homes around Rhodes College posted on realtor sites. Do you know if that neighborhood is sketchy??
Those are usually nice neighborhoods. I'd look in that area off North Parkway or over on Central and Bellevue.

Oh, and from before, my faculty advisor is part of the adcom

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Status
Hey,

I'm trying to help my husband find some potential patients for the SRTA exam (dental licensure exam for southern states) at UT Memphis in April. Is anyone in the area who would be interested in being screened? He needs a Class II decay, a Class III decay and patient with mild periodontitis. You probably wouldn't know if you have these things unless you've been to the dentist recently.

We live in AR, but he is making trips to screen patients at the dental school in memphis almost weekly. If you are pre-dental this might be a great opportunity for you to find out what this exam is like - also all treatment/exam is free...if you know anyone who can help please please let us know. thanks

Moni

Go Cards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Any future Memphis girls out there need a roomate for 2005?? As of May 1, I will be living in a cute townhouse - 2bedrm,2bath on S. Edgewood off of Union (5 min or less from school, 2 min from Cooper-Young).

DrugBust

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
Status
Moni said:
Any future Memphis girls out there need a roomate for 2005?? As of May 1, I will be living in a cute townhouse - 2bedrm,2bath on S. Edgewood off of Union (5 min or less from school, 2 min from Cooper-Young).
Hey Moni,
Which school in Arkansas did you go to? I also applied to Memphis but haven't heard anything yet. GPA is 3.7 and 17DAT I think the adm. com. met yesterday.

Moni

Go Cards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
DrugBust said:
Hey Moni,
Which school in Arkansas did you go to? I also applied to Memphis but haven't heard anything yet. GPA is 3.7 and 17DAT I think the adm. com. met yesterday.
Went to the UofA in Fay. When did you interview? Did Dr. Coleman tell you that the way they look at DAT is add up all the scores (eg 18+17+20...) ?

TaliaTN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
I interviewed in October and got my acceptance in Dec. I havent heard from anyone who got a letter since December.

I am going to buy a house in Memphis, I think. I have 2 big dogs and an apartment is just not going to work. I am looking at cooper-young and uptown as far as places to live. I haven't been to check these places out yet in person. My house in Knoxville does not close until April 13 (if nothing goes wrong). Anyone know more about these areas?

I think no place in memphis is ever going to feel as safe as west Knoxville.

Moni

Go Cards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
TaliaTN said:
I interviewed in October and got my acceptance in Dec. I havent heard from anyone who got a letter since December.

I am going to buy a house in Memphis, I think. I have 2 big dogs and an apartment is just not going to work. I am looking at cooper-young and uptown as far as places to live. I haven't been to check these places out yet in person. My house in Knoxville does not close until April 13 (if nothing goes wrong). Anyone know more about these areas?

I think no place in memphis is ever going to feel as safe as west Knoxville.
Hi future classmate! The area around Cooper-Young is - as my realtor liked to describe it - Bohemian. One street will be safe and the next not so safe. I did by a townhome that seems to have safe streets on both sides of it, so I am not too worried and think that the house will definitely increase in value. I don't know much about uptown, I think that it used to be the ghetto and they moved everyone out and built new stuff, I would definitely do some research b4 I bought there and make sure that even though there are nice homes that you are not moving into the projects. I can give you the name of my realtor if you want it. She was great about telling me what streets NOT to buy on being that I am a female moving by myself. When looking at houses, I found that the nice homes in the nice neighborhoods - 2brm, 1 or 2 bath ran about 130 - 140k.

TaliaTN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Moni-

Yeah, house hunting is going to be tough. I am going in 2 weeks to look. I have 2 boxers and my life would be much less stressful right now if I didn't have them to take care of... but, what can you do? I love those guys, and I cant give them up. They're also a ton of stress relief.

What street is your condo on? I think cooper-young is very "alternative", but I have only so many options when looking for a house close to the school. Any other neighborhoods you could reccommend?? I have been talking to a realtor that seems really nice and knowledgeable on the internet, and she said the same things you did, basically, I'm going to have to go there and see for myself.

Well, I guess I'll see you in August. Where are you from? If you're a Memphis native I might have to ask you some more questions!!

Talia

Moni

Go Cards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Talia,
Sorry to dissapoint, but I am not a Memphis native, I can only tell ya what I know from one weekend of house hunting- don't look at houses south of a street named Southern - really you want to be a few blocks away from Southern and you also don't want to be North of Jackson. I am moving to South Edgewood Street off of Union. If you go a little further east from school, I think these are nice neighborhoods - picardy fenwick, chicasaw and highland central -
Here is a link to a townhome that is w/in walking distance from the one I bought that may give you a good idea of $/sq ft in that area; it has more square footage then mine and was out of my price range, but if you look at "additional photos" it is really nice inside. http://www.hobsonrealtors.com/ListingDetails.asp?MLS=2591204&P=Y

Don't be stressed about house hunting, it was actually kinda fun and it helped me get to know the area a little better (I'm sure I could still get lost pretty easily :rolleyes: ).
Quick question for you-do you know if there is 60 or 80 people in the entering class? I am thinking the more the merrier b/c we will prolly be tired of each other after 4 years!

TaliaTN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
That condo is very cute on the inside. Good luck finding a roomate. I'm getting married in May, so I have a roommate lined up!

There should be 80 in our entering class. I also heard that it will have a female majority. I think the last interviews are this week, and then the committee will select the last applicants.

Moni

Go Cards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
TaliaTN said:
That condo is very cute on the inside. Good luck finding a roomate. I'm getting married in May, so I have a roommate lined up!

There should be 80 in our entering class. I also heard that it will have a female majority. I think the last interviews are this week, and then the committee will select the last applicants.
Congrats on getting married! That's so cute - that you "have a roommate lined up". My bf is in med school in LR, so no roommate lined up for me anytime soon..
Its kinda crazy that there may be a female majority if you look at the stats for women in dentistry - even back in the early 70s only 2% of dentists were women. As an RDH, did you see any major negatives in the profession? I guess this is weird, but one of my biggest concerns in back pain. I'm not usually a pansy, but I've always seemed to easily hurt my back in sports and I hate back pain! I am guessing I am just going to have to tough it out.

TaliaTN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
I mean, I don't see any MAJOR negatives in the profession. Sure, there are always some negatives, but none that would make me change my mind about pursuing dentisty (I'm sure there's probably a whole lot I don't know about too!!!). I never really have any back pain. My right hand hurts from time to time, kind of carpel-tunnel like stuff, I guess. I haven't had it checked out. I read somewhere that hygienists were more susceptible to repetitive stress injuries than dentist because we do the same thing all day long, whereas dentists use a variety of tools that require different grips and different movements. Not sure how valid it is, but it makes sense I guess.

BTW, I'm going to look at houses April 15-17. I'm exited! Have you found a roommate yet?

Talia

Moni

Go Cards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
TaliaTN said:
I mean, I don't see any MAJOR negatives in the profession. Sure, there are always some negatives, but none that would make me change my mind about pursuing dentisty (I'm sure there's probably a whole lot I don't know about too!!!). I never really have any back pain. My right hand hurts from time to time, kind of carpel-tunnel like stuff, I guess. I haven't had it checked out. I read somewhere that hygienists were more susceptible to repetitive stress injuries than dentist because we do the same thing all day long, whereas dentists use a variety of tools that require different grips and different movements. Not sure how valid it is, but it makes sense I guess.

BTW, I'm going to look at houses April 15-17. I'm exited! Have you found a roommate yet?

Talia
No roomate yet :( I think it will be easier once I move in (29th) and can show the place. Besides needing some paint to brighten up a few rooms, the home is pretty nice. I think I am going to have to bring in the troops (sisters and friends) to help me decorate. I am really looking forward to picking out paint colors and such, but I am not sure that I always have the best taste. Fortunately, I already have most of the furniture I need b/c I think I am going to be going for broke until I get a roommate.
Good luck house hunting!! You'll have to let me know if you find anything..

TaliaTN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Wow, are you moving in the 29th of this month? What are you going to do through May, June and July?

Moni

Go Cards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
I am actually being transferred for work - very pumped about moving - there is just not much to do in the small town that I live in. It is working out nicely b/c due to having a steady income, was able to take out loans for house even w/ lack of savings (just bought a car). I am hoping I am making a good investment decision w/o too many headaches. Anyways, guess that was a long answer to your question.

Dont keep up w/ it much, but I am surprised that Illinois (bball) is getting smoked. AR wasn't too good this year :mad:

TaliaTN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Moni said:
I am actually being transferred for work - very pumped about moving - there is just not much to do in the small town that I live in. It is working out nicely b/c due to having a steady income, was able to take out loans for house even w/ lack of savings (just bought a car). I am hoping I am making a good investment decision w/o too many headaches. Anyways, guess that was a long answer to your question.

Dont keep up w/ it much, but I am surprised that Illinois (bball) is getting smoked. AR wasn't too good this year :mad:
Well, good luck making yourself at home there! Did you attend the dental externship April 30 last year? I met a really nice person from Arkansas but can't remember her name. Anyway, if I'm down in Memphis in May or June we should get together and have dinner or something. The more faces I know the better!

DrugBust

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
Status
Has anyone from Arkansas heard anything yet from Memphis? I interviewed in February, so I am getting anxious!!!

CuRy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
DrugBust said:
Has anyone from Arkansas heard anything yet from Memphis? I interviewed in February, so I am getting anxious!!!
The committee finalized on April 12. Call Dr. Coleman to have a feedback on your file. I talked to him on phone many times, but this time I prefer to receive a letter for the final. Good luck!

brandiwine1160

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Status
I interviewed in December and got my accpeptance in March. I would give Dr. Coleman a call and see what's up.

Moni

Go Cards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
DrugBust said:
Do you know anything about the AR out of state scholarship? I called the state and they said that the school awards it. I called the school and they said that the state awards them and sometimes not until the first week of classes. Helloooo, don't they know that we might need to know about 50k before then?!?!
PS I interviewed in Oct got in in Dec. Best of luck :luck:

OP
R

rmpagnt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2004
Status
CuRy said:
The committee finalized on April 12. Call Dr. Coleman to have a feedback on your file. I talked to him on phone many times, but this time I prefer to receive a letter for the final. Good luck!
Talked to Colemans office today, and the final adcom meeting was supposed to be yesterday, but got postponed. Apparently, now they are meeting late next week sometime. The torture goes on...

jabeck74

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2005
Status
Dental Student
rmpagnt said:
Talked to Colemans office today, and the final adcom meeting was supposed to be yesterday, but got postponed. Apparently, now they are meeting late next week sometime. The torture goes on...
So they haven't had the final meeting yet? I thought it was supposed to be April 14. This is about to kill me waiting to find out. I interviewed in early February. I am an Arkansas resident. Have any other Arkansas residents heard anything yet? Are there still a lot of us waiting to find out?

brandiwine1160

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Status
Moni said:
Do you know anything about the AR out of state scholarship? I called the state and they said that the school awards it. I called the school and they said that the state awards them and sometimes not until the first week of classes. Helloooo, don't they know that we might need to know about 50k before then?!?!
PS I interviewed in Oct got in in Dec. Best of luck :luck:

Here's the website for the Arkansas Health Education Grant. You have to be certified a Arkansas resident by this office and then the school awards the grant. If you have any questions you can PM me or try calling the number on the website, they are really helpful.

http://www.arkansashighered.com/arheg.html

DrugBust

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
Status
Dr. Coleman told me that the committee meets April 21st!!! LETS HOPE THEY ACTUALLY HAVE IT

jabeck74

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2005
Status
Dental Student
If anyone finds out if they actually had the meeting on April 21, will you please post it on here. Also, please let us know when and if they mailed the letters.

OP
R

rmpagnt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2004
Status
jabeck74 said:
If anyone finds out if they actually had the meeting on April 21, will you please post it on here. Also, please let us know when and if they mailed the letters.
FYI,
they meet this afternoon according to the asst., but no word on when mailings occur. And since the meet hasn't occurred yet, it may yet be cancelled- hold on to your sanity, it's going to be a bumpy last ride.... :eek:

jabeck74

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2005
Status
Dental Student
rmpagnt said:
FYI,
they meet this afternoon according to the asst., but no word on when mailings occur. And since the meet hasn't occurred yet, it may yet be cancelled- hold on to your sanity, it's going to be a bumpy last ride.... :eek:
I know, this is driving me crazy. Any other Arkansas applicants still out there who haven't heard other than me?

Best of luck. But the earliest you should hear anything is may 1st. Even after the comittee meets once, they'll more than likely meet again, and any acceptances and waitlist have to be approved by dean gilpatrick.

So don't get mad if you don't hear anything for a couple weeks.

ScubaDr2B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2005
Status
Dental Student
I spoke with Johnnie today (4/21/05) around 3:30pm, she said that the adcom had just went into their meeting.

-Good luck

U of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine class of 2009

Kadbury

waiting...
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
snow bucket
Status
hey,
I called Dr. Coleman this morning and he gave me the very pleasent news of being accepted into the class of 2009. I am so excited!!!
Goodluck to everyone else and hope to meet you all soon.

jabeck74

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2005
Status
Dental Student
Kadbury said:
hey,
I called Dr. Coleman this morning and he gave me the very pleasent news of being accepted into the class of 2009. I am so excited!!!
Goodluck to everyone else and hope to meet you all soon.
Anyone know when the alternates list comes out?

Moni

Go Cards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Congratulations Kadbury!
Does anyone know when the first day of classes or when orientation is? I can't find the info in my paperwork...I was thinking the first day that we have to be there is Aug. 8, but i don't know where i am getting that from. Also, I am still looking for a housemate in great midtown location if anyone is interested...

Orientation starts August 8th at 8 AM
Classes start August 15th at 8 AM

They'll send you a class schedule before too long I'm sure. They haven't finished it I don't think. The D2,3,4 schedules are up, but for some reason yours isn't.

waker433

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2003
Memphis
Visit site
Status
Accepted last week, glad to finally hear the good news!

CJWolf said:
Orientation starts August 8th at 8 AM
Classes start August 15th at 8 AM

They'll send you a class schedule before too long I'm sure. They haven't finished it I don't think. The D2,3,4 schedules are up, but for some reason yours isn't.

TaliaTN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Anyone received any info about orientation, registration, etc??? I'm starting to wonder. Did receive financial aid though.

NnEliz

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
Status
I still haven't heard anything final about next year either. I called the other day to make sure that they had recieved my deposit and that I still had a spot in the class since I haven't heard anything from them since December! I do wish that they would be a little more on top of things, but I guess we don't have much control over that. Anyway, hope that you all have a good summer and I'll see you at school next year.
Nan

MemLindyHopper

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
Status
I will be going to UTHSC in the fall, and I am looking for a female roommate (current or future student). Anyone else still looking or know someone who is?