Any UT San Antonio students here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in UT San Ant and I wanted to know what are the pros and cons of this school?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

well, i didn't go there but i applied there and interviewed there. i had some weird interviewers that turned me off. but, what i liked about it is that it is away from the big city and it is cheaper to live there than like houston or dallas. that was a good thing. i know a few people that go there and that have gone there and they loved it. so i haven't heard anything bad.....hope that helps a small bit.

snow

Gator,
I am currently a 2nd year student as UTHSCSA and I'll try to give you some of the good and the bad. One of the big advantages is the location of the school. Our population base is mostly from an urban setting but the school is in a suburban location. We get to see all the challenges that urban physicians see, but we don't have to deal with all the problems that go along with living in an urban center. Another good thing is the housing. If you are interested in buying a house you can definitely find one that is affordable and close to the medical center.
Another big advantage that quite honestly suprised me was the overall quality of teaching at the school. The main professors for anatomy and histology were awesome. Good teachers who wrote very fair exams, the other classes were fine but just having an excellent anatomy professor was a nice way to start school. UTHSCSA also has the reputation for being a little bit friendlier to older applicants, or applicants that don't fit into the traditional pre-med mold. I wasn't a bio/chem major and I certainly didn't go to medical school right out of college but it didn't seem to hurt during the interview here. Finally, I would say that the number of gunners here is fairly small. There are some, but in general the students will help each other out.
As far as the bad goes i haven't had any "bad" experience here. I would say that you need to check up on your application b/c the admissions dept. has had episodes of creative filing. Also you should be aware of the fact that 24 students out of each 200 person class will do their 3rd and 4th year rotations down in Harlingen which is right on the border. Personally I think this will be a great training opportunity but some people don't want to move. Anyway I hope this helps and if you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I will be interviewing on 10/22 and I am just really nervous. :p

I just had my interview at UTSA and I know for sure this is where I want to go. I would really love it if more students would post more information about the school. Thanks!