any Washington or UCLA interviews yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waiting

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from U. of Washington or UCLA yet? I've filled out the secondaries but haven't heard about interviews yet and was just curious if anyone else had yet....if you have, please let me know if you're an in-state or out-of-state applicant.

:) :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Waiting,

From friends of mine who are now D1s and went thorugh the admissions process last year, those two schools are tough as hell. The people I know are all Michigan residents and they all have outstanding GPAs and 20+ DAT and never heard back at all. No secondaries, no please send us a check even though we don't care about you, nothing. Unless your a state resident of those two or from one of the states in the WICHE program, it's close to a miracle to get in.

Baccurso,

thanks for the inside info, albeit I wish you had better news! :eek:

Washington sent me their secondary and I filled it out a couple weeks ago, so I'm still holding out slim hope. UCLA only sent me a card to say they got my aadsas and my file is complete....it sucks applying to those schools from the east coast since I've noticed that I get their mail about a week after the fact.....oh well, still got my fingers crossed and waiting as usual....

Members don't see this ad :)
You must remember that the cost of a dental education at UW and UCLA is still heavily subsidized by the taxpayers of each respective state. The state legislatures in return require that those dental schools give preference to in state applicants. When you also add in the fact that the average GPA/DAT scores for the 2001 entering classes at UW and UCLA are amongst the highest in the nation, baccurso pretty much told it like it is.

Hey Groundhog,

Where did you get the DAT/GPA stats for the 2001 class?

Racerdude

I'm sorry racerdude. I was looking at the stats for the 2000 entering classes not 2001. However, I did hear from a reliable source that the UW 2001 entering class came in higher than 2000.

thanks for the info groundhog....I believe the info. pamphlet UW sent me w/their secondary had the 2001 stats....GPA was 3.5-3.55 overall (similar to UCLA, UNC) and DAT was 22 acad., 20 PAT (same as UCLA). Plus, I remember noticing that NO one was admitted east of the Mississippi! Stat wise, I still come in well above those numbers so I'm keeping my fingers crosssed.

Of course, now I'm in love w/UNC after interviewing there on Sat. and learning about their program and seeing their facilities.....top notch!! I guess the last yr. for which there were dental school rankings was 1994: UT-San Antonio was 1st that yr. and UNC 2nd.

60 more days until Dec. 1st!

waiting, can you give us all the scoop on UNC's interview, stuff they told you, facilities, etc? Also, was it you or someone else that mentioned Tufts telling them that the notification day might be pushed back? Anyone heard about that?

Baccurso,

Here's the scoop on UNC as you requested...

Last yr., they had 804 applicants and interviewed 250. They like to keep their incoming class size to around 75: roughly 60 instate & 15 out-of-state. There were 61 people interviewing there on Sat. and they have 3 such interview dates in the fall. Of the 61 there, I got the sense that the majority were from out-of-state. The admissions dean said that they usually fill a little over half of their class with the Dec. 1st letters.

Interview format: all 1-on-1. There was 1 student interview w/a 3rd or 4th yr. and 2 faculty interviews. Each lasted roughly 15-30 min. The student interview was VERY laid-back and I felt like I was interviewing them more than they were me! The faculty interviews were also very straight-forward. The most 'unusual' question I got had to do w/my thoughts on the 9/11 tragedy and what positives, if any, I felt had come out of it.

Since you're interviewing w/such a large group of people, they split you up into groups of 4. For example, our group was getting a tour while another group was doing their interviews. Their clinical facilities are all located in a state of the art, 28 mill building they built in '98. The clinical rooms are all decked in the latest equipment, fancy chairs, beautiful settings/decor, etc. They have a sweet simulation lab too, the type where each student has their own monitor and communicates with the prof. via the screen. The one thing I really enjoyed was the ever constant presence of the current students. This gave everyone a chance to ask any conceivable question they might have had and all the students seemed very high on the school and their choice to attend. The only negative some mentioned is that since it is a major research school (1st in funding in 2000) there are a fair number of students who are looking to specialize (about a 1/4 of the class) and make the atmosphere competitive for the rest. No back stabbing or anything mind you, but just a pretty intense work load the first semester as everyone tries to figure out where they're going to fall. The students also held an informal panel for us...the student body is about 55/45 male: female with a broad mix of ages and ethnicities.

The students don't really get the summer off in b/w 1st and 2nd yr. as they have an 8 wk. summer session where students are assigned their first patients, essentially mainly cleanings. The patient base is HUGE since UNC is the only dental school in the state. They said there's a waiting list of over 1000 patients and students rarely have trouble finding patients for procedures and stuff. That is, the school gives you access to more patients than you could ever need so no need to go recruiting.....

As far as cost, it's pretty comparable to most places if you're an out-of-stater...the 4 yr. total will run you about 140-150 or so (i'm in state so I didn't pay that close attention to the non-NC budget). All students have to buy the same exact laptop which the school selects for you. Last yr. students had to pay an additional 2900 for this.

hmmm...I can't think of anything else right now but if you have any specific ? let me know and I'll try to answer them!

:) :cool:

waiting,

With your stats, I would think that you have UNC wired. And hey, UNC is an excellent school. I don't think you could do any better unless a location change is the overriding factor in your choice of dental schools. I think the UW does consider a few of the brightest now and then no matter what their residency (especially if one indicates a desire to stay in academics). The fact that you got a secondary from the UW is a positive sign. Good luck