Any way an average Dental Student can get into OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnleong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an average dental student with a B+ avg and around the middle half of my class. What can I do to get into an OMFS residency? Boards are going to be p/f.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an average dental student with a B+ avg and around the middle half of my class. What can I do to get into an OMFS residency? Boards are going to be p/f.

1) From here on out, improve your class rank as much as possible.

2) More than in other fields of dentistry, externships are of paramount importance in OMFS. Go on them and shine--work hard, get along with people, impress.

3) Get the best letters that you can--usually from externships.

4) When you apply, regardless of your rank, don't be picky. Apply everywhere.

5) Research never hurts, but isn't necessary. (Work ethic is more important).

6) If all else fails and you don't match, do an intern year. As long as you aren't a d-bag, you should match after that.

good luck

^^ This.

Only think I will add is to take the CBSE very seriously and do well

Members don't see this ad :)
1) From here on out, improve your class rank as much as possible.

2) More than in other fields of dentistry, externships are of paramount importance in OMFS. Go on them and shine--work hard, get along with people, impress.

3) Get the best letters that you can--usually from externships.

4) When you apply, regardless of your rank, don't be picky. Apply everywhere.

5) Research never hurts, but isn't necessary. (Work ethic is more important).

6) If all else fails and you don't match, do an intern year. As long as you aren't a d-bag, you should match after that.

good luck

Is it standard to get a letter from your externships? I feel like no one will know you well enough after a week to write you a letter?

Is it standard to get a letter from your externships? I feel like no one will know you well enough after a week to write you a letter?

From my understanding, you would need to do multi-week externships at a given program.

What is an externship?

A 1 to 2 week mini internship at a particular program. Basically, it is a sneak peak for you to get an idea of what life is like in residency at that program. It is also a way for faculty to see how you interact and perform in the clinic. Go on the program websites and look up how to sign up. Timing can be an issue especially during dental school clinic years so plan wisely.

Thanks, Bereno.

Do you know when most students take this? At my school we don't really have large blocks of vacation to study for additional board exams... do students typically study during their academic year?

Comprehensive Basic Sciences Exam

Look here for info about the test
and here for historical results

Thanks, Bereno.

Do you know when most students take this? At my school we don't really have large blocks of vacation to study for additional board exams... do students typically study during their academic year?

I believe next year's tests are in Feb and Aug. Seems like most students study during school and on breaks. My second year is mostly going to be studying for this test haha.

Unless it has changed this test is offered 1 day per year. It's kind of all or nothing! Good luck. It is much more like the medical step 1 than it is any dental exams you will take.

Unless it has changed this test is offered 1 day per year. It's kind of all or nothing! Good luck. It is much more like the medical step 1 than it is any dental exams you will take.

It was offered once in 2012, but twice in 2013. In May and September.

http://www.aaoms.org/nbme.php

I have not heard of them releasing the dates for the 2014 exams, but I'm assuming they will go with the 2 exams a year schedule.

Yeah, the exam looks tough. It takes a lot of dedication to prepare for this beast.