any way to do a fellowship as an NHSC scholar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cali-ob

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm wondering if the NHSC would allow an FP resident to defer their training for one more year to do an Ob fellowship? Seems easy enough, and win-win. If you do an Ob fellowship, you might feel more comfortable with full scope FP in a rural or truly underserved area, and it's only a year. They allow you to do a four year OB/Gyn residency so why not a three year FP residency with a 1 year OB fellowship? Probably the gov isn't as logical as that....
But then again, with my adviser MIA this year, maybe they wont even notice if I squeeze out one more year of training? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I just heard from my "adviser" (seems they didn't ship her off to area 51 after all...) and apparently yes, the Ob fellowship is available to FP residents completing a NHSC service commitment. Good news. Hope that was helpful to more than just me ;)

How did you manage to locate your "advisor"? I have been calling for a few weeks and have been told that 5 different people are my current advisor. The only person who was remotely helpful was the first person I had talked to, who was a temporary advisor and has been reassigned. I am hoping to take an extra year for a chief position but they are already sending me information about a mandatory job placement fair in Florida, which I hope to avoid this year. You didn't happen to go to medical school in Ohio, did you?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm wondering if the NHSC would allow an FP resident to defer their training for one more year to do an Ob fellowship?

The only person who was remotely helpful was the first person I had talked to, who was a temporary advisor and has been reassigned. I am hoping to take an extra year for a chief position but they are already sending me information about a mandatory job placement fair in Florida, which I hope to avoid this year.

It's depressing to know that the advisors are as unhelpful as your average federal employee. :(

When I signed my contract for the first time this past June (I'm finishing up MS3), they outlined which fellowships are acceptable. For Family Med, an OB or geriatrics fellowship is acceptable. For psych, a child psych fellowship is okay as well.

As for chief positions - I think you had to send a letter to the Director of the NHSC by Feb. 28th, if you wanted to do a chief year for the 2009-2010 year. On the website, they have a pdf file listing what to do in the event that you need a deferment. (I attached it to this post.) I hope that someone finds it useful...amid all the red tape that needs to be waded through!

I did go to school in Ohio....my advisor was and apparently is still Ms Coppola. Do you have her e-mail address? I can give it to you if you want to pm me. She usually doesn't get back to me when I call her in a timely fashion but she seems to be good with e-mails.

It's depressing to know that the advisors are as unhelpful as your average federal employee. :(

When I signed my contract for the first time this past June (I'm finishing up MS3), they outlined which fellowships are acceptable. For Family Med, an OB or geriatrics fellowship is acceptable. For psych, a child psych fellowship is okay as well.

As for chief positions - I think you had to send a letter to the Director of the NHSC by Feb. 28th, if you wanted to do a chief year for the 2009-2010 year. On the website, they have a pdf file listing what to do in the event that you need a deferment. (I attached it to this post.) I hope that someone finds it useful...amid all the red tape that needs to be waded through!

Fascinating! For several years, any extra time for child psych was strictly verboten. I didn't even notice the extra paragraph about the training options that might allow an extra year at the NHSC's discretion. I really wouldn't have expected any reasonable changes to take place under the current administration.

Psychiatry programs seem to make decisions about chief residents much later than other specialties (my program just announced chiefs for the 2008-09 year in April 2008), and the 2/28 1 year+ advance deadline is out of the question. I have heard, unofficially, that it isn't impossible to get deferment anyway.