Any way to make sure programs DON’T see my step 2 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ej37

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took it yesterday, and I know for a fact it did NOT go well. Changed my answer from correct -à incorrect so many times it is making me sick to my stomach to think about. I probably did better than I think I did, but regardless, I was wondering if there was any way I could avoid sharing this score with residency programs.

I heard from some people that if you take it mid august or so there and you don’t check the auto-update option in ERAS you are golden. Another friend of mine said they were planning on doing that, and applying to some garbage program just to get the processing in…

Anyway, for those of you more experienced in this process than I am, (read, EVERYONE) I was wondering if anyone had any sneaky tricks I could use to hide my step 2 CK score at this point as I’m sure it is going to suck.

Members don't see this ad.

The only way to hide your score is if you are able to:
1. Choose NOT to send scores automatically in ERAS
2. Submit ERAS BEFORE your Step 2 is released

Considering that you have taken the exam in early July and ERAS cannot be submitted prior to September 15, you are out of luck. Releasing scores is all or nothing unless you do the above. You're too early for it to work. Sorry.

Considering that you have taken the exam in early July and ERAS cannot be submitted prior to September 15, you are out of luck. Releasing scores is all or nothing unless you do the above. You're too early for it to work. Sorry.

^This. If your scores are released before ERAS opens you're SOL.

Last edited:
I just took it yesterday, and I know for a fact it did NOT go well. Changed my answer from correct -à incorrect so many times it is making me sick to my stomach to think about. I probably did better than I think I did, but regardless, I was wondering if there was any way I could avoid sharing this score with residency programs.

I heard from some people that if you take it mid august or so there and you don’t check the auto-update option in ERAS you are golden. Another friend of mine said they were planning on doing that, and applying to some garbage program just to get the processing in…

Anyway, for those of you more experienced in this process than I am, (read, EVERYONE) I was wondering if anyone had any sneaky tricks I could use to hide my step 2 CK score at this point as I’m sure it is going to suck.

Choose to not automatically release your score. If you do that, even if it comes out before you submit, programs won't see it.

Well I think that July takers have a delay in scores no? I think scores are normally released in 3 weeks or so, but July takers are like 6-8 weeks. So there is a possibility that if that is the case and OP does not release scores, then he/she can have the score not visible to programs.

Well I think that July takers have a delay in scores no? I think scores are normally released in 3 weeks or so, but July takers are like 6-8 weeks. So there is a possibility that if that is the case and OP does not release scores, then he/she can have the score not visible to programs.

I took Step 2 in mid-July last year and had my score back within 3 weeks. There may be a small delay owing to an increased number of takers this time of year, but not enough where it would make a difference in this case.

Also, about your other post, if the OP chooses not to release scores, his Step 1 scores will also not be released and he will have zero interviews. It's an all-or-nothing game, unless the Step 2 score comes out AFTER ERAS is submitted, of which there is a zero percent chance of happening.

I took Step 2 in mid-July last year and had my score back within 3 weeks. There may be a small delay owing to an increased number of takers this time of year, but not enough where it would make a difference in this case.

Also, about your other post, if the OP chooses not to release scores, his Step 1 scores will also not be released and he will have zero interviews. It's an all-or-nothing game, unless the Step 2 score comes out AFTER ERAS is submitted, of which there is a zero percent chance of happening.

Well I may be incorrect, but there are changes that happen to the exams every now and then that cause the results to come back in 8 weeks or longer vs. the typical 3 because of those changes. I was under the impression that was what the OP was referring to, and if that's the case, and his scores don't come back before he submits ERAS, then he would not have to release scores. But yes if his scores DO come back before he submits then yes he would have to release all the scores. I guess since he can't submit before September there isn't a great likelihood that he can not show his scores, but I think there is a possibility.

You sure about this?

You worried about Step 1 ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=827847 ) and did well. You sure you're not just anxious?

I walked out of my Step 2 exam convinced I'd failed it. It was horrible. Got the score back months later - 240. Don't sweat it.

:eek:

I think regardless of what your score is, you have more to lose by NOT disclosing it. These guys are smarter than that. They know when you're hiding something. Don't try to hide stuff. It makes you look like you're trying to hide stuff. No you can't beat the system. It's the Borg. It's bigger than you are. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.