Any way to switch specialty you're applying to at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm newly geographically limited (got engaged) and wanting to change my application from psych only to psych or family medicine. Can I do that now? Do I just wait and try to scramble into FM? Do I wait and re-apply next year? Anyone know?

Thanks,
MiesVanDerMom

Members don't see this ad.

You just throw some FM apps out there and see what happens. An FM letter or 3 would certainly be helpful too. But yes, get your scramble kit together, and be prepared to throw away the last 4 years of your life.

If you are talking about NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, the Bay Area or Philly or are a stellar candidate (240+, AOA, publications), it's easy to be geographically limited. If those stars don't align for you, it's going to be a crapshoot. Hopefully you'll get lucky.

Why can't your fiance relocate with you? This is not a job like most jobs. You've most likely invested a lot into your training (financially and otherwise) so why jeopardize it at this point when you're almost to the finish line?

People make choices for all kinds of reasons. If your fiance is more important to you than your medical career, then do what you wish. If he's not willing to relocate or not willing to do a long-distance relationship... well... I have opinions on that one. But likely ones you don't want to hear.

The above being said, you have nothing to lose by trying. And congrats on the engagement.

you are too late to apply to some FM programs. To optimize your chances for the rest, I recommend that you come up with a convincing FM PS and 3 letters that talk about you as an FM candidate. We hate it when people apply with letters that only mention another specialty - no one likes to know that we are just the backup plan.

Why can't your fiance relocate with you? This is not a job like most jobs. You've most likely invested a lot into your training (financially and otherwise) so why jeopardize it at this point when you're almost to the finish line?

You spent so much on your education. Why even change your residency choices because you are now engaged. I have met a few physicians and physicians-to be who made career choices based on relationships. Some of theses folk have serious regrets later on. Be careful.

Cambie