MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
With my husband, my kids, and the hellcat
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm newly geographically limited (got engaged) and wanting to change my application from psych only to psych or family medicine. Can I do that now? Do I just wait and try to scramble into FM? Do I wait and re-apply next year? Anyone know?

Thanks,
MiesVanDerMom

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
You just throw some FM apps out there and see what happens. An FM letter or 3 would certainly be helpful too. But yes, get your scramble kit together, and be prepared to throw away the last 4 years of your life.

If you are talking about NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, the Bay Area or Philly or are a stellar candidate (240+, AOA, publications), it's easy to be geographically limited. If those stars don't align for you, it's going to be a crapshoot. Hopefully you'll get lucky.

Droopy Snoopy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
The Alamo
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anything's possible. Girl in my class switched from OB to ER in February and landed a spot.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Anything's possible. Girl in my class switched from OB to ER in February and landed a spot.
She scrambled?

I can't imagine otherwise - given that the ROL is due mid February; she wouldn't have had time to apply and get interviews in 2 weeks.

peppy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Why can't your fiance relocate with you? This is not a job like most jobs. You've most likely invested a lot into your training (financially and otherwise) so why jeopardize it at this point when you're almost to the finish line?

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
People make choices for all kinds of reasons. If your fiance is more important to you than your medical career, then do what you wish. If he's not willing to relocate or not willing to do a long-distance relationship... well... I have opinions on that one. But likely ones you don't want to hear.

The above being said, you have nothing to lose by trying. And congrats on the engagement.

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
you are too late to apply to some FM programs. To optimize your chances for the rest, I recommend that you come up with a convincing FM PS and 3 letters that talk about you as an FM candidate. We hate it when people apply with letters that only mention another specialty - no one likes to know that we are just the backup plan.

CambieMD

cambiemd
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2003
Southeast
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Why can't your fiance relocate with you? This is not a job like most jobs. You've most likely invested a lot into your training (financially and otherwise) so why jeopardize it at this point when you're almost to the finish line?
You spent so much on your education. Why even change your residency choices because you are now engaged. I have met a few physicians and physicians-to be who made career choices based on relationships. Some of theses folk have serious regrets later on. Be careful.

Cambie