Any White Male Pre-meds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

do you care about the race of the people you deal with?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

delchrys

tired...must sleep...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally saw the racist, sexist thread for black female premeds and figured i'd start this thread as a way of highlighting the divisiveness of such a thing.

i have one question to the originator and those who continue to make that one of the largest threads around: WHY DOES IT MATTER??!!?!?!!?

:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

delchrys said:
I finally saw the racist, sexist thread for black female premeds and figured i'd start this thread as a way of highlighting the divisiveness of such a thing.

i have one question to the originator and those who continue to make that one of the largest threads around: WHY DOES IT MATTER??!!?!?!!?

Why does it matter to you that there is a thread like that then? I think it was made because African American females are underrepresented in medicine and they just wanted support from each other and advice. Instead of divisiveness, it promotes solidarity.

It's okay for you to start this thread, but putting your unnecessary comments on there is inappropriate.

they're a community like any other and they probably want to share their experiences because they have a lot in common. what's racist about that and why are you thinking about it this way?

Members don't see this ad :)
by the way, i'm not sure what the intention of your poll question is either... is it asking if we are sensitive to the beliefs of people of different races or is it asking if we are racist? i assumed the former because the latter just seems silly.

To the OP,

I feel ya, best thing is to let the ignorant continue to act ignorant and let it slide. Unfortunately much of the medical and academic community are bleeding to death, not much you can do it about it but chuckle and move on. They will figure it out eventually.

cromagnon said:
To the OP,

I feel ya, best thing is to let the ignorant continue to act ignorant and let it slide. Unfortunately much of the medical and academic community are bleeding to death, not much you can do it about it but chuckle and move on. They will figure it out eventually.

Indeed, but I'm not sure I have enough patience for them to just figure it out. ;)

In my experience, ideology is far more prevelant than actual intelligence among many of the non-science academics I have been taught by, and I feel that it is my intellectual duty to educate them :laugh:

i hate stuff like that. all it does is segregate even more. but oh well, people can do whatever they want IMO as long as they aren't hurting anyone else.

but yeah, i am EXTREMELY anti-affirmative action. people's race shouldn't matter at all for anything they do in life.

LauraMac said:
i hate stuff like that. all it does is segregate even more. but oh well, people can do whatever they want IMO as long as they aren't hurting anyone else.

but yeah, i am EXTREMELY anti-affirmative action. people's race shouldn't matter at all for anything they do in life.

being anti-affirmative action is one thing and being hateful of what a certain community of people does is entirely another thing. affirmative action really hurts me as it probably does you, but i don't go around hating on people of underrepresented communities... come on...

LauraMac said:

Affirmative action is in place to prevent institutional racism. You are correct people's race shouldn't matter, but it does because a lot of people hold stereotypes or thinks negatively of certain races. Its the truth and you are being overly idealistic if you think race is unimportant in education, hiring practices, etc.

I know there seems to be a double-standard in terms of certain racial/ethnic organizations being okay, but Caucasian organizations being viewed as racist. But you must understand that these groups are trying to equalize the field and be treated as equals as opposed to Caucasians who already have a dominant foothold in American society.

I am not being racist or saying that ALL americans are like this, but minorities DO have a difficult time in the United States. Affirmative action only provides a small percentage of them to have "equal" opportunity as a Caucasian.

any moderators around to close this waste of cyber space?? :thumbdown:

constructor: what hate of underrepresented minorities is taking place in the quote you posted? there is hate of the act of exclusivity and racism, but no hate of people. your melodrama is misplaced.

why is this a waste of cyberspace, lumanyika? because someone is finally openly questioning why it's okay to be racist if you're non-white, but it's the worst possible crime if you are white? sorry, i'm not going anywhere. this discussion needs to happen in america, and unfortunately there are very few white people willing to have it because they're afraid of being called racist.

RACISM IS WRONG, EVEN IF THE JUSTIFICATION FOR IT SOUNDS GOOD. PERIOD.

I am from Cincinnati, one of the most segregated cities in the U.S. I know what you are saying, though. I'm white and live next to several black communities, which I have no problem with, but sometimes when I am driving through these communities, people will yell racial epithets at me b/c I'm white. Now what is wrong w/ this picture? I don't let it bother me too much, but it seems like everyone, even the police, see this as not a big deal even though if things were the other way around, arrests would be made in a heartbeat. It just seems that sometimes there is a double-standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
delchrys said:

Although I think you are somewhat ignorant in your views (The African American female thread is meant to be a supportive network, not meant to divide-- it's sad that you can't see that), I think the poll is quite interesting. Studies have shown that physicians may be biased by a patient's race. For example, African Americans are less likely to get analgesics in the ER b/c physicans think they will be more likely to misuse them. In addition, African Americans are less likely to receive angioplasties than other ethnicities. These studies controlled for factors such as SES, age, education level, health conditions, etc. This suggests that discrimination may be directing such actions. What do y'all think about these studies and your potential ability to fairly treat other races & ethncities?

delchrys said:

It matters because the patients you will potentially be seeing in the future believe it matters. In general, patients would like to see physicians of similar ethnicity, because these physicians will have a better understanding of where they are coming from/what they go through on a daily basis, and will therefore be able to better treat them. Thus it is important for there to be a similar proportion of African American, Latino, Asian doctors as there is in the population.

Although you may not have thought of it, you may want to post your question on the black female pre-med thread and see what they have to say. I don't believe the thread is devisive, because anyone is free to post something in that thread--black female or other-- no one has forbidden you to do so. It is best to get an opinion from all sides of the issue, because then you can make an informed conclusion.

I do not believe that that thread or this thread is racist or a waste of space, although some comments in either thread can be based on ignorance. delchrys, instead of hiding what you feel because you feared being called a racist, you decided to voice your concerns, which took guts. But to be fair, you have no idea what is to grow up as a minority, and they in turn may not understand what is to grow up as a white male. Do not dismiss them as racist and devisive merely because you do not agree with their position. Med school is hard enough, and people need a support system.

we all look for something common whether it is what city you are from, do you have children, how old you are, what school you are going, what major you are in, are you premed or nursing etc...

There are many threads/forums on this board that "divide" us in this way. I do not see the problem unless you feel uncomfortable feeling left out. :rolleyes:

the AA female thread is meant to be supportive, and probably is in a lot of ways, i don't begrudge you that, but realize that it also presumes a need for support that is based on the race and gender of the supporter and supportee. such presumptions ARE divisive, by definition, because they segregate "us" (black females who want/need the support of other black females...whites and men need not apply) from "them" (anyone who is neither black nor female).

i mean, at this point, you refer to it as a "support network". years down the road, would you consider it a "success" if the support network had led to friendships between black female physicians, and if these physicians worked to bring more black females into the field by specifically selecting black residents for their programs? if so, i ask you to turn that around and ask yourself what your reaction would be if the headlines tomorrow in the NY Times read "Study Shows White Male Physicians Work Together to Ensure White Male Residents are Hired". I submit that the resounding reaction would be "my gods, that is intolerable racism! we KNEW this was happening all along, now we have PROOF!"

In other words, why is it racism when it's done by white men but it's "forming a support network" when it's black women?

my whole intent here is to create dialogue, and to ultimately get a few folks to understand that there are valid points of view that are outside the sphere of the currently-accepted PC dialogue that dominates the media. i started this thread to get people to think, and i expected much of the typical mindless criticism that it has received. YOUR post, on the other hand, is much more substantive, which i can appreciate, and will now attempt to address.

there was a recent report that indicated that black people in economically-depressed areas tended to have worse medical care than whites, and these black folks generally have white physicians. The explanation offered was that doctors who perform poorly on their licensing exams (like failing their specialty exam) tend to find a niche in poorer areas, while physicians who do well on these exams tend to follow the dollars and work in areas that are perceived as safer, better managed, and more profitable. in that instance, if the facts are true as represented, i would consider the issue not a race-motivated issue but a financially-motivated issue.

the studies you cited...they definitely seem to point to racial stereotyping, though i'd have to see the study to be more certain that they controlled for the right stuff and in the right way so as to eliminate any chance the behavior is actually based more on SES than on racial stereotypes.

just looked at the black female premed thread and absolutely nothing is racist about it. black females are a very small community in medicine and they just want a support system. they are just like hello, how's the process going, and giving eachother advice. its extremely important for black females to work together to get into the field. healthcare at the present time will only improve in certain areas for blacks if more black physicians are a part. this type of encouragement is absolutely necessary, and harmless to whites. the reason it is not necessary to say "any white male premeds out there" is because it goes unstated. any university not called a "historically black college" is actually a "historically white college". any thread posted out here will be support for a majority of white males. it always goes unstated. as far as affirmative action goes, you are entitled to your opinion but this thread is so popular because a lot of things that black women go through is not common to everyone. there are so many experiences as a white male that you will not have so the thread is intended for those who share the common experience. please dont be offended by it. its not racist because they are not in there talking bad about you. they are just leaving it up to themselves to figure out how to get into the field where you happen to be the majority. this will certainly benefit you because in the long-run with an increase in the numbers of black female physicians public health will change for the better. this will not only benefit you as a physician, but as a taxpayer as well.

delchrys said:
In other words, why is it racism when it's done by white men but it's "forming a support network" when it's black women?

I don't think it is. It didn't bother me to see a thread calling for white males to unite. Its not racism to identify with a group of people. There is nothing on their thread that was racist. They are an URM and it is a good idea to get together and address some of the issues affecting that body of people. It would be nice if they included others-but maybe they felt that others wouldn't care as the issues don't affect them as much.

There is a difference between having a support group-like the one they started in SDN-and selectively admitting black females into medical school. As far as I can see, its still a support group-and there is no reason to jump down anyones back.

I think your real problem, Delchrys, is with affirmative action, and several people who are also against AA have spoken up with you on this thread. Thats fine by me. But its rude to knock people's support group. PS-nothing stops you from joining that thread as we can't tell what your sex or skin color is.

im all for the help that affirmative action attempts to provide, but i believe it could always be better.

if ppl want to get help in that fashion, then go ahead - the government has made it accessable. i do see circumstances though where some ppl really could not make it on their own because of problems that were completely out of their control. for them i think this is fine, i just wish it would be available to all races/creeds because the way it is now, it is still a segregationalist program - certian things happen to certain ppl based on the color of their skin.

if we as a nation are to ever get over this problem and move on, programs that are segregationalist like this need to be revised because it is not just urms (or even ALL urms) that are in need of help like this.

:sleep:

Is there some kind of alarm that ignites someone to recycle the same old thread month after month??

I mean...you guys don't even change up title names most of the time:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=132072&highlight=white+males
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=129456&highlight=white+males

By the way, webster.com defines racism as:

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination.

How does a thread that attempts to embrace a common background and experience automatically imply opposition to other races? In the 104 pages of that thread, where does it promote antagonism or hatred or any other ill feelings or contempt toward any race or gender?? Please...point out one entry to me that should incite a thread like this?

I have absolutely no problem with a white male thread as long as its purpose is not to incite antagonism towards others which this one is doing extremely well.

Oh yes, by the way: why is it that threads like this always have to mention "I hate affirmative action" within the first ten posts?? As if that has anything at all to do with having a thread directed towards black females?

Please keep the anger and bashing of others to a minimum or I will be forced to close this thread.

Thanks,

Your friendly Iron-webbed Moderator. :)

I double dare you to close it :D

WHy are you so gung ho about all of this....what was up with the Ohio Schools thread being listed among the general ones....what is up with trying to control all of these threads. I think people would prefer to be able to post what they want

adamj61 said:
WHy are you so gung ho about all of this....what was up with the Ohio Schools thread being listed among the general ones....what is up with trying to control all of these threads. I think people would prefer to be able to post what they want
Dude. Chill.

1. If you don't want the OH schools thread listed in the top sticky (dunno why this would bother you :confused: ) then lemme know. I was just trying to help out.

2. Threads in which members engage in racism, name-calling, and the like violate SDN's TOS and are subject to closure.

3. I'm not trying to "control all these threads," Adam. However, on SDN you are not allowed to post "whatever you want." There are rules of the road for SDN. Those who cannot abide will have their priveleges revoked.

cooldreams said:
im all for the help that affirmative action attempts to provide, but i believe it could always be better.

if ppl want to get help in that fashion, then go ahead - the government has made it accessable. i do see circumstances though where some ppl really could not make it on their own because of problems that were completely out of their control. for them i think this is fine, i just wish it would be available to all races/creeds because the way it is now, it is still a segregationalist program - certian things happen to certain ppl based on the color of their skin.

if we as a nation are to ever get over this problem and move on, programs that are segregationalist like this need to be revised because it is not just urms (or even ALL urms) that are in need of help like this.

I think the main problem with affirmative action at this point is that there is much less instituionalized racism than there is basic disadvantage due to low economic status. I haven't seen much institutionalized racism in the US-except in Hawaii. That doesn't mean its not out there-but I think AA tends to ignore the fact that its not so much race that keeps people from upward mobility as it is economic factors. Therefore some of this AA should be applied to white people who are poor, as well as other races. Anybody else agree with this? Why or why not? Please write a 1 page, double spaced response. JK

I agree that affirmative action is necessary at the undergraduate level because secondary institutions(high schools, etc) in this country vary so much and someone from the urban city may not have had the same advantages as those, say in the suburbs. However, I cannot come up with a reason why medical schools need to employ affirmative action when selecting a med school class. I've seen many statistics on URM's and overall they are accepted with lower MCAT scores and GPAs. (For example a URM who went to UPenn had a 23 MCAT and 3.1 GPA with the usual extracurriculars who got into Johns Hopkins, and this is just one example)Why should this be so, when obviously they have had the same college experience as, say a white male? Shouldn't med schools have the same standards for everyone?

EvoDevo said:
Dude. Chill.

1. If you don't want the OH schools thread listed in the top sticky (dunno why this would bother you :confused: ) then lemme know. I was just trying to help out.

2. Threads in which members engage in racism, name-calling, and the like violate SDN's TOS and are subject to closure.

3. I'm not trying to "control all these threads," Adam. However, on SDN you are not allowed to post "whatever you want." There are rules of the road for SDN. Those who cannot abide will have their priveleges revoked.

I am chill thank you...you are the one who is posting up a storm. If you get the boot, you can just get a new name...so really you can post what you want.

yposhelley said:
I think the main problem with affirmative action at this point is that there is much less instituionalized racism than there is basic disadvantage due to low economic status. I haven't seen much institutionalized racism in the US-except in Hawaii. That doesn't mean its not out there-but I think AA tends to ignore the fact that its not so much race that keeps people from upward mobility as it is economic factors. Therefore some of this AA should be applied to white people who are poor, as well as other races. Anybody else agree with this? Why or why not? Please write a 1 page, double spaced response. JK

someone just hit the nail right on the head. :thumbup:

the reason affirmative action is abused and makes some people angry, etc. is because two people of different races (one overrepresented and one underrepresented) do sometimes have to struggle equally to get a foothold on higher education and professional careers due to unfavorable economic factors. the current system will give financial aid to both the person of the overrepresented race and the person of the underrepresented race, but at the same time it makes it easier for the person of the underrepresented race to get in and that's where things border on unfair and perhaps illegal. well said, race shouldn't matter as much as economic status and where you grew up because in this country there are people of all races in every type of setting you can imagine.

constructor said:
someone just hit the nail right on the head. :thumbup:

the reason affirmative action is abused and makes some people angry, etc. is because two people of different races (one overrepresented and one underrepresented) do sometimes have to struggle equally to get a foothold on higher education and professional careers due to unfavorable economic factors. the current system will give financial aid to both the person of the overrepresented race and the person of the underrepresented race, but at the same time it makes it easier for the person of the underrepresented race to get in and that's where things border on unfair and perhaps illegal. well said, race shouldn't matter as much as economic status and where you grew up because in this country there are people of all races in every type of setting you can imagine.

Yes.. exactly!

You guys just don't understand this debate. It is not about an individual versus other individuals. It is about providing the access to the groups. If you've ever been to milwaukee you will notice it is the most segregated city int he country. Race does play a role in where you go to school and how success you will be. Therefore, equal access needs to be made for that group, this is especially true for undergrad admissions. In med school they make a big investment in you, and you its harder to have access to a whole group where some people may fail.

ndi amaka:

you wrote, "How does a thread that attempts to embrace a common background and experience automatically imply opposition to other races? In the 104 pages of that thread, where does it promote antagonism or hatred or any other ill feelings or contempt toward any race or gender?? Please...point out one entry to me that should incite a thread like this?"

to address these questions, in the order you wrote them...

1: How does a thread that attempts to embrace a common background and experience automatically imply opposition to other races? "embracing a common background and experience" is one of the many phrases the KKK uses to describe their organization. nationalism is pride in one's nation. it has led to NUMEROUS wars. having pride in / "embracing" one's racial makeup can feel really good, i'm sure, but it also celebrates what one group IS and the rest of people AREN'T. it celebrates the "us" in the world of "them". even if it has benefits, it also has a downside. an attempt to start an organization entitled "white men for the future of america" would be met with two responses: "that's racist!" and "that's unnecessary, since white men are already presumed to control the future of america in every instance where it is not explicitly stated to be otherwise." both of these responses are entirely unacceptable because they imply that any given while male is somehow represented by "white men" in general. this country may have been founded by white men, but realize that the control of this nation has always, without fail, rested in the hands of RICH, POWERFUL, ELITE white males, and the rest of us (white males) are left just as powerless as any minority. the difference is that now it has become not only acceptable but welcomed by society for minorities to form groups for support and for furtherance of their ideals, but the non-rich, non-powerful (poor and weak) white males are left with no support and the presumption that they don't need it and, further, the presumption that if they try to form a support group or network that it's simply a disguise for racist motivations. BS.

2: In the 104 pages of that thread, where does it promote antagonism or hatred or any other ill feelings or contempt toward any race or gender? don't know. i never asserted that the content of the thread promotes those negative things. the very existence of the thread does the job all by itself, and most likely without the knowledge of any of the many participants and contributors. racism is very often not a conscious thing, but starting a group that says "US" and thus implying that there is a discrete "THEM," and basing that on race and gender is a sure-fire way to promote racial division and sexism. what's next, special drinking fountains? oh, wait, that was already done, and that was struck down as unconstitutional. i can't believe i am even having this conversation, it is so incredibly clear what a double standard there is on this issue, it's not even funny.

3: Please...point out one entry to me that should incite a thread like this? incite? there is no venom in me, m'lady. i am frustrated by the (deliberate?) blindness that exists on this issue. just as you might tell me that i could "never possibly understand what kinds of adversity and difficulties" a black woman faces in the pursuit of a medical education, i can tell you truthfully that you would have an equally hard time understanding and treating seriously the difficulties faced in society by white men. you're probably either livid at this last statement now, or at least rolling your eyes at it. either way, it validates the statement. you can't understand it if you won't even acknowledge that it can be true. i haven't even touched on the whole gender bias issue, but if you would like to shift the focus to that i'd be just as happy explaining my reasons for believing that there is a great deal of discrimination against men that occurs in our society regardless of race.

call it whatever you want. when people get into groups based on race and gender, and then 'celebrate' their race and/or gender, there are others who are left out of the 'celebration'. this is segregation and discrimination, period.

you guys must live in this perfect world. really...wake up! if you truly think that all that matters in this world is money youre so wrong. just today i had someone taunt me just because i was chinese. ok so maybe being chinese is not being a minority but racism happens.

affirmative action is not the best way to do things nor is it particularly fair but so is this world. its unfair. racism is unfair. my friend's boyfriend interviewed at medical school and the interviewer was astonished at how smart he was....oh and he was black. yeah....interesting indeed.

in all, yes people with socioeconomic problems should get ahead of those who have more money. and yes people who are minorities should have a better chance at education well just because of their color bc that is how they are treated in this world. if you cant understand this....you probably dont know what its like to be other than what you are. but try to understand....

adamj61 said:
You guys just don't understand this debate. It is not about an individual versus other individuals. It is about providing the access to the groups. If you've ever been to milwaukee you will notice it is the most segregated city int he country. Race does play a role in where you go to school and how success you will be. Therefore, equal access needs to be made for that group, this is especially true for undergrad admissions. In med school they make a big investment in you, and you its harder to have access to a whole group where some people may fail.

i'm not against affirmative action at all... i know i'm hurt by it, but i realize that the patients are ultimately more comfortable seeing a physician of their own race. i was just speculating on the reason why others might be tired of it. the way i look at it is that it's more difficult for me to get in, but hey medicine isn't all about your grades and test scores; it's also about the person and sometimes you're just not a good fit as someone else in a certain system or setting and you just have to deal with that and move on.

yposhelley said:

I also agree with this statement. The original intent of AA was to overcome institutionalized racism after the civil rights movement. We are now a whole generation removed from this, and from my experience, our generation rarely sees racism in the job market. The color of one's skin, everything else equal, nowadays is not a hindrence to a successful career.

Ahh...like the swallows returning to Capistrano, its the first anti-AA/URM thread of the interview season....its beautiful no? :rolleyes:

Giffhorn6 said:
I agree that affirmative action is necessary at the undergraduate level because secondary institutions(high schools, etc) in this country vary so much and someone from the urban city may not have had the same advantages as those, say in the suburbs.

why base it on race, then, instead of economic background? there aren't millions of poor white people in america? or is that the poor white people benefit when their white brethren from the frosty north of ancient europe graduate from harvard? or is it that we are meant to presume that black people are all poor, or mostly poor?

take a guess what the average income of a black family is. take a guess at how many black people live in poverty. you will be surprised at the truth, because it spits in the face of the PC rhetoric the media like to throw at everyone.

the only plausible argument to allow racial preferences for undergraduate admissions would be to say that racist acts directly harming or impairing the advancement of young black students take place on a widespread basis. if that is the point that is to be made, then i would like to challenge that. not "deny that it's true". simply challenge it and ask for support for that assertion. we all know what the media say: "it's true". fine, i accept that the media say that. i accept that most people believe it. i guess that i am curious, though, how many black students have experienced racism that has directly impacted their pursuit of education. again, i'm not saying "i doubt it has happened much," i'm simply saying that i'm unwilling to simply agree that it is definitely true without some basis for that assumption.

uclabruin2003 said:
you guys must live in this perfect world. really...wake up! if you truly think that all that matters in this world is money youre so wrong. just today i had someone taunt me just because i was chinese. ok so maybe being chinese is not being a minority but racism happens.

yes, racism happens, but did those taunts in any way negatively impact your pursuit of your educational goals? my best friend had a bottle busted over his head walking to a convenience store in detroit by a bunch of kids who happened to be black, and he was called all sorts of things, and this is an example of bad stuff, definitely racism. but did it impact his career or his education? to justify afirmative action, there needs to be some showing that race is the reason the person in question has had a more difficult time getting into school than others of different races.

people are mean to overweight people, and pretty girls get all the attention. why is there no affirmative action policy in the NBA? whites are truly underrepresented there. some poor white kid out there is truly good at basketball, at LEAST meeting the minimum qualifications to play in the NBA, but his only chance at getting out of the trailer park is destroyed by institutionalized racism which apparently tends to hire blacks in a vastly disproportionate way to play in the NBA.

i am repeating my point, which has been the same all along: until everyone stops using their skin color (or other racial phenotypical characteristics) as a primary means of developing or identifying their sense of self, racism will persist. whether the intent of such segregation and creation/perpetuation of racial self-identity is positive or not is largely irrelevant; the effect is discriminatory, and no amount of anger or justification will change that.

uclabruin2003 said:

affirmative action is not the best way to do things nor is it particularly fair but so is this world. its unfair. racism is unfair. my friend's boyfriend interviewed at medical school and the interviewer was astonished at how smart he was....oh and he was black. yeah....interesting indeed.

in all, yes people with socioeconomic problems should get ahead of those who have more money. and yes people who are minorities should have a better chance at education well just because of their color bc that is how they are treated in this world. if you cant understand this....you probably dont know what its like to be other than what you are. but try to understand....

Nobody said that racism doesn't exist-what we said was that institutionalized racism is not as big of an issue as it once was. Institutionalized racism is not keeping a black, white, asian, mexican student out of medical school (or from upward mobility) even close to the degree economic stress is.

Maybe medical schools should accept people based on the percentages of ethnic group diveristy in the US. If its a state-represented school and there are 20% black, 60% white, and 10% asian 10%hispanic-the student body should more or less represent that. But it should stop right there-the stats of the students should all be at acceptable levels. Also, black doctors don't just represent black patients, so it doesn't guarantee adequate representation. And as people from low socioeconomic status move upwards-they often don't want ot move back to the ghetto and subject their children to what they went thru. What we really need to do is get more doctors in those areas that are underrepresented. If the patients feel more comfortable with a black doctor, or mexican, fine. But it has more to do with socioeconomic status than it does with race-any one who doesn't realize this is crazy. Patients from the ghetto want someone who understands their living situation. They would feel more comfortable with a white doctor from their neighborhood than with a black doctor who grew up in beverly hills, believe me.

And yes, Adam, you will find anywhere in the country that people of the same ethnicity tend to clump together-because they feel more comfortable that way. Also, you tend to overlook that people of low economic status tend to not move-that means that families have been in the same area for a long time-contributing to the ethnic solidarity. But in those neighborhoods, you will probably also find some poor, white families. If the people in the black/white/hispanic neighborhoods had money-they would have access to good schooling. Its about money-you are crazy if you don't realize this. There is nothing stopping a well-to-do URM from getting adequate schooling for their kids. Nobody is going to deny them admission based on the color of their skin-because they would get sued. The only thing keeping poor people out of good schools is just that-they are poor-they live in a bad neighborhood-the public school systems are bad because its a poor nbeighborhood, there is crime around due to poverty. Listen, I lived in Hawaii for 6 years which is the cultural salad bowl/melting pot of the US. In every neighborhood there are asian, hawaiian, white, filipino, hispanic, and every other race you can imagine all living together. The funny thing was-I noticed uneducated low-income people of all races (portugese, white, filipino, asian, hawaiian, polynesian) tended to come from poor neighborhoods, and that educated kids grew up in well-to-do areas. Get it?

MadameLULU said:
Although I think you are somewhat ignorant in your views (The African American female thread is meant to be a supportive network, not meant to divide-- it's sad that you can't see that), I think the poll is quite interesting. Studies have shown that physicians may be biased by a patient's race. For example, African Americans are less likely to get analgesics in the ER b/c physicans think they will be more likely to misuse them. In addition, African Americans are less likely to receive angioplasties than other ethnicities. These studies controlled for factors such as SES, age, education level, health conditions, etc. This suggests that discrimination may be directing such actions. What do y'all think about these studies and your potential ability to fairly treat other races & ethncities?

That is very interesting. Do you have any links?

delchrys said:
ndi amaka:

1: How does a thread that attempts to embrace a common background and experience automatically imply opposition to other races? "embracing a common background and experience" is one of the many phrases the KKK uses to describe their organization. nationalism is pride in one's nation. it has led to NUMEROUS wars. having pride in / "embracing" one's racial makeup can feel really good, i'm sure, but it also celebrates what one group IS and the rest of people AREN'T. it celebrates the "us" in the world of "them". even if it has benefits, it also has a downside. an attempt to start an organization entitled "white men for the future of america" would be met with two responses: "that's racist!" and "that's unnecessary, since white men are already presumed to control the future of america in every instance where it is not explicitly stated to be otherwise." both of these responses are entirely unacceptable because they imply that any given while male is somehow represented by "white men" in general. this country may have been founded by white men, but realize that the control of this nation has always, without fail, rested in the hands of RICH, POWERFUL, ELITE white males, and the rest of us (white males) are left just as powerless as any minority. the difference is that now it has become not only acceptable but welcomed by society for minorities to form groups for support and for furtherance of their ideals, but the non-rich, non-powerful (poor and weak) white males are left with no support and the presumption that they don't need it and, further, the presumption that if they try to form a support group or network that it's simply a disguise for racist motivations. BS.

2: In the 104 pages of that thread, where does it promote antagonism or hatred or any other ill feelings or contempt toward any race or gender? don't know. i never asserted that the content of the thread promotes those negative things. the very existence of the thread does the job all by itself, and most likely without the knowledge of any of the many participants and contributors. racism is very often not a conscious thing, but starting a group that says "US" and thus implying that there is a discrete "THEM," and basing that on race and gender is a sure-fire way to promote racial division and sexism. what's next, special drinking fountains? oh, wait, that was already done, and that was struck down as unconstitutional. i can't believe i am even having this conversation, it is so incredibly clear what a double standard there is on this issue, it's not even funny.

3: Please...point out one entry to me that should incite a thread like this? incite? there is no venom in me, m'lady. i am frustrated by the (deliberate?) blindness that exists on this issue. just as you might tell me that i could "never possibly understand what kinds of adversity and difficulties" a black woman faces in the pursuit of a medical education, i can tell you truthfully that you would have an equally hard time understanding and treating seriously the difficulties faced in society by white men. you're probably either livid at this last statement now, or at least rolling your eyes at it. either way, it validates the statement. you can't understand it if you won't even acknowledge that it can be true. i haven't even touched on the whole gender bias issue, but if you would like to shift the focus to that i'd be just as happy explaining my reasons for believing that there is a great deal of discrimination against men that occurs in our society regardless of race.

call it whatever you want. when people get into groups based on race and gender, and then 'celebrate' their race and/or gender, there are others who are left out of the 'celebration'. this is segregation and discrimination, period.

I don't usually respond to threads of this nature, but your post is such a piece of work that I couldn't resist.
1. If you can't see the difference between the Klan and the Black Premeds thread, than I might as well stop now because there is no hope for you. How does the black female thread differ from other 'ethnic' premed threads that have been started in the past besides its longevity? Oh, I know! Some insecure prick has to start a "white male" thread in respone to discuss why the existence of the black female premed thread is such an affront to the large underclass of downtrodden and oppressed white males. Why do you feel so threatened by the thread? Who said you can't participate? The only one creating boundaries here is you.

2. I was going to post the m-w definition of racism for you, but ndi amaka beat me to it. Again, you are the one deciding that you cannot participate in the thread. You have voluntarily chosen to exclude yourself. I can't believe you are comparing the thread to segregation and Jim Crow. The thread was a response to the unwelcoming atmosphere of the pre-allo forum towards URMs.

3. Go ahead. Enlighten us in regards to the systematic discrimination suffered by white males in society today. I know it must have been difficult, all of those years, throwing off the chains of slavery and Jim Crow and systematic racism, but somehow you managed to survive. Onward, Soldier! Onward! I salute you! Don't let the man get you down!

elin said:
3. Go ahead. Enlighten us in regards to the systematic discrimination suffered by white males in society today. I know it must have been difficult, all of those years, throwing off the chains of slavery and Jim Crow and systematic racism, but somehow you managed to survive. Onward, Soldier! Onward! I salute you! Don't let the man get you down!

Enlighten us in regards to the systematic discrimination suffered by black females in society TODAY. Is it because in 2003 the average black matriculant to medical school had a 24.8 MCAT and a 3.38 GPA while the average white matriculant had a 30.2 and a 3.66 (AAMC Statistic)? It seems as though there is also much REVERSE systematic discrimination today, and delchrys seems to be saying that a poor white male that cannot access the same educational resources as a rich white or black male will be hurt by this reverse discrimination. Sure his great-grandparents weren't enslaved, but he is still being discriminated against, not by the color of his skin, but his economic status... the same thing holding back people today of ALL RACES.

It is interesting that many collegiate and graduate programs have tried to throw out the question of race all together on their applications.....but this was met with great resistance from the NAACP.

I am not particularly opinionated about the issue of Affirmative acton and I try not to get to caught up in the racial issues, but i find this completely ironic.

.....the group that lobbied the hardest to KEEP race as a consideration is the NAACP. Was this type of affirmative action part of the great Dr. Martin Luther Kings dream?

We have made so much progress in the issue of racism. Our ultimate goal should be that race is not an issue.

If we allow/force race to be an issue, it will be.

I cannot believe people actually selected 'yes'..........It is as silly as chosing not to deal with all people that wear socks and not to deal with all people that prefer sugar over no sugar in their coffee.
Silly..........silly..........silly..................
:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Let's get one thing straight..........DISCRIMINATION is DISCRIMINATION period.
Dont pull out this CRAP called 'reverse' discrimination.
REVERSE DISCRIMINATION itself is a discriminatory tool that somehow implies this form of discrimination (reverse) is more or less harmful than the set in stone DISCRIMINATION.
It doesnt matter if you are white or black.........discrimination goes both ways and it is known by one word........DISCRIMINATION...........so stop applying the term reverse discrimination.......to highlight the 'specialness' of any case involving a non-black.
I agree that Bubba out in the sticks is getting a raw deal but for him to call it reverse discrimination based on his color is nonsense.
He is socially disadvantaged and this cuts across all race boundaries.
He should bitch at the wealthy white people and the wealthy black people.
:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

someone irrelevant posted the mess below. my responses are in bold (because they are much more important :laugh: ):

"I don't usually respond to threads of this nature, but your post is such a piece of work that I couldn't resist. ahh yes, the bait has been taken.
1. If you can't see the difference between the Klan and the Black Premeds thread, than I might as well stop now because there is no hope for you. alas! no hope for me, since i don't see things through your warped lens of pseudoreality! ohnos. :scared: How does the black female thread differ from other 'ethnic' premed threads that have been started in the past besides its longevity? it doesn't. the black female premed thread is just the most ostentatious example of this ridiculousness. Oh, I know! Some insecure prick has to start a "white male" thread in respone to discuss why the existence of the black female premed thread is such an affront to the large underclass of downtrodden and oppressed white males. oh, so when i want equality, i'm insecure. when you want it, it's justice. and, just as the cherry on top of the sundae, i'm insecure. and a prick. and white, despite the fact that i'm 50% lebanese. excellent way to make your point--3rd grade insults that are about as on-target as a 14-shot drunk trying to pee into a soda can with one eye open. Why do you feel so threatened by the thread? threatened by the thread? i'm not, and i don't feel threatened, either. why don't YOU feel threatened by the fact that apparently it is acceptable for black women to feel that they NEED this thread in order to succeed, or at least to do well? what would it say about me if i only sought the company of other half-lebanese men? you want to talk insecure, that's where it is, lady. Who said you can't participate? nobody said i can't participate. unless you count the huge sign labelling the thread "are there any black female pre-meds." let's see how happy you'd be if there was a job posting at your hospital of choice entitled "wanted: white male surgeon (but all welcomed to participate in interviews)" The only one creating boundaries here is you. wrong again; the boundaries were created by the folks who deemed it important to have a thread devoted exclusively to female black people who were pre-med majors. if that's not a boundary, then why don't i just ignore the "women" sign on the public bathrooms while we're at it?

2. I was going to post the m-w definition of racism for you, but ndi amaka beat me to it. Again, you are the one deciding that you cannot participate in the thread. You have voluntarily chosen to exclude yourself. kind of like the way black voters voluntarily excluded themselves from voting by failing the "fair and balanced" tests back in the day? no...more like the way you would voluntarily exclude yourself from a room full of white men who were having a meeting entitlted "white male surgeons symposium on how to preserve our racial and gender interest in the field of medicine." I can't believe you are comparing the thread to segregation and Jim Crow. The thread was a response to the unwelcoming atmosphere of the pre-allo forum towards URMs. AH-HA! so everyone was so unwelcoming to the poor black female premeds in the pre-allo forum that you were forced to start your own segregationist thread. who forced YOU? or..wait...are you admitting that without being explicitly forced to do a thing one can still be made to feel uncomfortable enough that they would VOLUNTARILY choose to disengage from the activity? of course, that decision to start the black female premed forum was made WITHOUT overtly-discriminatory thread names being thrown at you, so i'm SURE you understand why making a thread with such an overt title as "are there any black female premeds" would be construed as exclusionary based on race and gender? right? or are you truly that dense? or, most likely, is it "denseness" of convenience?

3. Go ahead. Enlighten us in regards to the systematic discrimination suffered by white males in society today. I know it must have been difficult, all of those years, throwing off the chains of slavery and Jim Crow and systematic racism, but somehow you managed to survive. Onward, Soldier! Onward! I salute you! Don't let the man get you down!" oh, let's see...first, let's take the fact that i could never get into a good med school with a 3.3 GPA and an MCAT in the low 20s, but somehow black applicants get admitted with those scores. second, let's recognize that this sort of crap goes on in every graduate program. third, rememeber the political official who was forced to resign from his position in washington for using the world "niggardly"? the word has NO origin, linguistically, to "the N word," but because it SOUNDED LIKE the word, he was a bad person. but let's no go down the road of anecdotal evidence. the fact that people of one race get admitted to schools with lower scores than people of another race is evidence of systematic racism. when individual white males with better qualifications get denied admittance because of the color of their skin and the presence of a penis between their legs, that is evidence of systematic racism. does it actually feel GOOD to know that black students get a "freebie" when it comes to their grades and test scores, that the bar is lowered so it's easier to get over? personally, it would sicken me. it takes away from every accomplishment made by a black person. but, if you want to proceed with the notion that you can't hack it without having the bar lowered, please, at least provide some rational, fact-based explanation for the alleged necessity.

JattMed said:
REVERSE DISCRIMINATION itself is a discriminatory tool that somehow implies this form of discrimination (reverse) is more or less harmful than the set in stone DISCRIMINATION.

I did not state reverse discrimination to imply this. My point, and what it sounds like you are trying to clarify here, is that it is still discrimination, that discrimination can and does cross all racial boundaries, and that a person's race is no longer the major deterrent in landing a successful career; now it is low economic status that holds back people of all races.

DocMizzle said:
I did not state reverse discrimination to imply this. My point, and what it sounds like you are trying to clarify here, is that it is still discrimination, that discrimination can and does cross all racial boundaries, and that a person's race is no longer the major deterrent in landing a successful career; now it is low economic status that holds back people of all races.

I'll buy that for a dollar. However sadly .........there cannot be winners without losers.........
Everybody is a winner babaaaaay........no.
Even if we all had equality in everything.......someone will paint his house with his own sh-i-t and differentiate himself. So where does it end? It cannot......human nature......however we can make it close........it is asymtotic. That is why communism fails. Ideally it is great, practically no.

Status
Not open for further replies.