Any White Male Pre-meds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

do you care about the race of the people you deal with?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
yposhelley said:
I think the main problem with affirmative action at this point is that there is much less instituionalized racism than there is basic disadvantage due to low economic status. I haven't seen much institutionalized racism in the US-except in Hawaii. That doesn't mean its not out there-but I think AA tends to ignore the fact that its not so much race that keeps people from upward mobility as it is economic factors. Therefore some of this AA should be applied to white people who are poor, as well as other races. Anybody else agree with this? Why or why not? Please write a 1 page, double spaced response. JK
I actually agree with this opinion; I would be more supportive of affirmative action if it was more of a "helping hand" for anyone from a very indigent background, rather than just people of a particular ethnicity (and such a policy would still end up helping underprivileged minorities, since they are disproportionately poor).

But with regards to the main topic of the thread: I see nothing wrong with people bonding over a shared ethnicity, just as I see nothing wrong with bonding over a shared religion, shared sport or shared hobby. It's only a problem if: 1) The bonding makes the group dislike or look down upon people who are not members of their group or 2) A more subtle pitfall - the group members get cliquish and don't hang out with people outside the group.

In the case of the black female pre-med thread, though, I haven't seen anything that suggests that either 1) or 2) is happening. So I don't think the fuss is warranted.

Members don't see this ad.

People who dont support affirmative action dont understand the importance of diversity in medicine.

This might sound shocking, but sometimes black patients relate better to black doctors.

Affirmative action accounts for this diversity by lowering the numerical standards, i.e accepting a minority candidate with a lower GPA but with REAL experience in the inner city (not weekend soup kitchens). For those of you who find this offensive, you need to realize that it doesnt take a genious to handle medical school. Thats not a blow to your ego, its reality. Most anyone with the necessary effort can complete medical school and become a competent doctor.

For those of you who are scared that affirmative action will take YOUR spot, ask yourself this: Would anyone care if you were rejected from medical school? What can you offer medicine? Most likely theres a 15,000 other candidates who look, act, and fart just like you. the 15,000 3.5 White/asian suburbanites shouldn't be entitled to anything. I doubt that any of the stellar 3.8+ 35+ dont get into a single medical school with the exception being any social freaks.

AA is not 'reverse discrimination'. AA necessarily fills a void by taking minority applicants over the undistinguished whites and asians. THERE SIMPLY IS A NEED FOR MORE MINORITY DOCTORS.

slackerjock said:
People who dont support affirmative action dont understand the importance of diversity in medicine.

This might sound shocking, but sometimes black patients relate better to black doctors.

Affirmative action accounts for this diversity by lowering the numerical standards, i.e accepting a minority candidate with a lower GPA but with REAL experience in the inner city (not weekend soup kitchens). For those of you who find this offensive, you need to realize that it doesnt take a genious to handle medical school. Thats not a blow to your ego, its reality. Most anyone with the necessary effort can complete medical school and become a competent doctor.

For those of you who are scared that affirmative action will take YOUR spot, ask yourself this: Would anyone care if you were rejected from medical school? What can you offer medicine? Most likely theres a 15,000 other candidates who look, act, and fart just like you. the 15,000 3.5 White/asian suburbanites shouldn't be entitled to anything. I doubt that any of the stellar 3.8+ 35+ dont get into a single medical school with the exception being any social freaks.

AA is not 'reverse discrimination'. AA necessarily fills a void by taking minority applicants over the undistinguished whites and asians. THERE SIMPLY IS A NEED FOR MORE MINORITY DOCTORS.

Your stance might actually be valid if you conceded that AA IS discriminitive, AND "it fills a void by taking minority applicants over the undistinguished whites and asians."

The actual necessity of AA notwithstanding, those who claim that it doesn't discriminate on the basis of race are simply casualities of the "diversity" juggernaut, that jealous God that defies logic and reason with newspeak and semantics. Oh yeah, they taught you REAL good, didn't they?

You can claim that it is necessary, but please quit insulting my intelligence by saying that it doesn't discriminate on the basis of race.

Members don't see this ad :)
slackerjock:

i have to say it, even though it will likely get me banned: HOLY ****.

yep, i said it.

why did i say it?

because what you are saying is tantamount to saying "hey, i know black people can't do as well as white people, but we need to be nice and give them spots in upper-level academic programs and simultaneously deny those spots to more highly-qualified whites so these black folks can serve their purpose and serve their own people in a capacity that would otherwise be underutilized." WHAAAAAAT!??!? black people are just as competent and intelligent as white people, man! black people no more need special concessions in education than they do in day-to-day business or any other aspect of life! or are you just trying to pretend that only black people can "relate" to other black people, as though a black harvard med grad (whose parents earn 400,000.00 per year) will (a) even consider working in the inner cities, and (b) relate to a poor black guy any better than a middle-class white guy?

surely you're not saying black people are genetically less capable in academics, right? that would smack of the old book "the bell curve," and is certainly a discussion i don't want to have any part in.

or are you saying that the culture of black people is naturally antithetical to education?

or are you saying that white people work to ensure black people don't get a good education?

i don't understand. when you treat the act of lowering the bar for black med students as a necessity, you are treating black people like they can't make it without special treatment. please tell me i'm wrong...

oh, and one other thing...what can i offer the world if i get a medical education, you ask? and you follow it up to say there are already a ton "just like me" when you don't even know me? you'd be better off asking christ what he has to offer christians, or asking scotty bowman what he had to offer the red wings.

in other words, i have a TON to offer, pal, and treating me like "one of many" just based on my skin color is the last thing anyone should do. it's commonly known as racism. every individual is a g0ddamned individual, and should be treated as such, rather than having a bunch of happy wanna-feel-goods reducing them to race/gender stats and making sure the "numbers match".

i've truly sailed off the edge of the earth into pandemonium.

Mr. Seeds said:
Your stance might actually be valid if you conceded that AA IS discriminitive, AND "it fills a void by taking minority applicants over the undistinguished whites and asians."

The actual necessity of AA notwithstanding, those who claim that it doesn't discriminate on the basis of race are simply casualities of the "diversity" juggernaut, that jealous God that defies logic and reason with newspeak and semantics. Oh yeah, they taught you REAL good, didn't they?

You can claim that it is necessary, but please quit insulting my intelligence by saying that it doesn't discriminate on the basis of race.

Of course AA is discriminatory. By nature, it factors race into creating a diverse work force. The medical world can make room for a black doctor by squeezing out a white/asian one. check pubmed.gov to see that poor blacks are more compliant with their regiments if treated by a black doctor. Are you telling me that Mr White #12043 can offer something more than that? Mr Black #192 might have lower statistical scores (scores = intelligence?, scores = upbringing? scores=irrelevant? scores=$1000 TPR class?) but Mr Black has the potential advantage of serving a need that Mr White 12043 may not be able to serve.

BTW, Mr. Black with lower scores does not make him any less competent or less intelligent. I hope we all know the irrelevance of a 30 vs. 35. I suspect adcoms know the irrelevance when they take a minority candidate with lesser numbers.

I'd also like to reiterate to you premeds that medical school doesnt require massive amounts of intelligence. Go to the corner of your local main street. Hand out copies of Robbins path and they're 70% done with basic sciences.

Another AA thread getting uglier by the minute. And to think we are future physicians... :scared:

Blake said:
Another AA thread getting uglier by the minute. And to think we are future physicians... :scared:

You cant handle the truth buddy

yeah... evodevo could you please close this thread? it started out with a stupid comment so let it please end on one...

People who don't understand AA probably don't understand the history of blacks. personally I was opposed to AA, and I have a some nigritude phenotype. But I am taking an honors course in Afro Ameri His that I think any form of reparations to blacks, if harmless (debatable word) can be justified. if you have a problem with AA, constructive black groups, you can suck your thing or kiss you ass.

slackerjock said:
You cant handle the truth buddy
How I can't handle the truth ? :confused:

slackerjock said:
Of course AA is discriminatory.

I agree, as well as slavery too. Actually I have learnt to call AA discriminatoty compensation.

Nuel said:
I agree, as well as slavery too. Actually I have learnt to call AA discriminatoty compensation.

How'd ur august mcats go? Hope u didnt tank em again

Members don't see this ad :)
[sarcasm] yes, please close this thread! i am forced to come to it and read it and then sometimes even THINK! it's TERRIBLE and i DEMAND that you close it before someone gets IDEAS and stuff!

disagreement with the PC massmind will not be tolerated!

I WAS ROBBED OF MY SPOT IN THE NBA BY SOME BLACK MEN, JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE BETTER AT BASKETBALL THAN ME!!! WHAT THEN, HAPPENS TO THE MASS APPEAL OF BASKETBALL, AND THE GENERAL ENJOYMENT OF THE FANS, IF THEY HAVE TO WATCH ONLY BLACK PLAYERS?!! STUDIES SHOW THAT WHITE NBA WATCHERS BUY 80% LESS BEER IF THE PLAYERS ARE DISPROPORTIONATELY BLACK!!!
[/sarcasm]

:thumbdown:

slackerjock said:
How'd ur august mcats go? Hope u didnt tank em again

nope scores aren't out jackass.

Nuel said:
People who don't understand AA probably don't understand the history of blacks. personally I was opposed to AA, and I have a some nigritude phenotype. But I am taking an honors course in Afro Ameri His that I think any form of reparations to blacks, if harmless (debatable word) can be justified. if you have a problem with AA, constructive black groups, you can suck your thing or kiss you ass.

that's awesome. after six hours with a translator i finally found out what the hell you were trying to say.

i'm glad you've been enlightened by "the class" you took. always a surefire sign of a true epiphany. or was it brainwashing? oh well, what's the difference. either way, i have to ask:

how much is enough? how much money and concessions will be required before no more reparations are needed? my ancestors were humping camels in lebanon and starving during the irish famine, and no one in my background ever owned a slave. and, last time i checked, since the time of Moses, society does not hold the son responsible for the sins of the father. did you learn, in your class of epiphany, what % of slaveowners were black? did you learn what % of white colonists owned slaves? i never owned a slave, never mistreated a person based on race, and WILL NEVER accept responsibility for someone else's actions.

the answer to my first question in the previous paragraph: NO AMOUNT IS ENOUGH. it will never be "made okay" with concessions and money. never. if it could, i'd write a damned check right now (it would bounce--i'm poor like hell). here's the real question: when will people stop pointing to an event that happened over two centuries ago, and has since been taken as far as it can under the law to make things equal, and just shut up and take responsibility for their own faults and work? i'm no more sorry for slavery than i am for taking america from the natives who lived here first, no more sorry than i am for stealing the moon and turning it into a whorehouse--BECAUSE I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THOSE THINGS. blaming me, or a government, or "white people" is the next level of racism.

delchrys said:
that's awesome. after six hours with a translator i finally found out what the hell you were trying to say.

i'm glad you've been enlightened by "the class" you took. always a surefire sign of a true epiphany. or was it brainwashing? oh well, what's the difference. either way, i have to ask:

how much is enough? how much money and concessions will be required before no more reparations are needed? my ancestors were humping camels in lebanon and starving during the irish famine, and no one in my background ever owned a slave. and, last time i checked, since the time of Moses, society does not hold the son responsible for the sins of the father. did you learn, in your class of epiphany, what % of slaveowners were black? did you learn what % of white colonists owned slaves? i never owned a slave, never mistreated a person based on race, and WILL NEVER accept responsibility for someone else's actions.

the answer to my first question in the previous paragraph: NO AMOUNT IS ENOUGH. it will never be "made okay" with concessions and money. never. if it could, i'd write a damned check right now (it would bounce--i'm poor like hell). here's the real question: when will people stop pointing to an event that happened over two centuries ago, and has since been taken as far as it can under the law to make things equal, and just shut up and take responsibility for their own faults and work? i'm no more sorry for slavery than i am for taking america from the natives who lived here first, no more sorry than i am for stealing the moon and turning it into a whorehouse--BECAUSE I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THOSE THINGS. blaming me, or a government, or "white people" is the next level of racism.

Where'd u get that avitar? freakin hilarious

slackerjock said:
i'm sure u did better. cant get worse rite?

WTF are u talking about? Even if I did worse how does that concern you? I am primarily a scientist, and before you start talking like an imbecile, you don't know how old I am or what I have accomplishde besides flunking the MCAT VR suck some dike mate

Guess what, dude? I'm so buying a diamond ring for my woman when I propose. :D

You're a real rabble rouser. ;)

somewhere deep in the 'net...i've had it a few years; you're the second person on this site to notice it.

:D

delchrys said:

You dont need to accept any responsibilty. Your gov't is accepting responsibilty for all of us. If you dont like it, vote for bush.

freaker said:
Guess what, dude? I'm so buying a diamond ring for my woman when I propose. :D

You're a real rabble rouser. ;)

but it's FUN....<insert whiny tones>

i'm buying mine one, too, 'cause i loves her and i'm a creature of society. ;)

delchrys said:
but it's FUN....<insert whiny tones>

i'm buying mine one, too, 'cause i loves her and i'm a creature of society. ;)

freaker, delchyrs
'
how much are u dropping on the rock? how are u financing it?

delchrys said:

I wasn't brainwashed. actually we are reading a bunch of well-reasoned and factual articles written by multiple authors on the complexity of slavery. blacks being slaves was not something the white man calculated, it was more serendipitious than orchestrated. Europeans being slaves of europeans was a difficult thing, however blacks were more productive in free/indentured labor; the result was that they became forced--slavery was an economic system. If you see some of my old posts, I used to cast a majority of the blame to the African Americans as regards their problems. But now I have become more liberal, not that I don't hold them responsible. there are opportunities available, they just have to seize them, at least some of them are doing so.

slackerjock said:
freaker, delchyrs
'
how much are u dropping on the rock? how are u financing it?

Heh, I started saving up for the ring, and then the relationship took a turn south. So now I'm womanless (man, it's easier to save when you shed those things) with a few k sitting in a savings account waiting on Ms. Right. I figured I'd go ahead and put back enough for a nice ring so it wouldn't be a big deal later. When you're half way there, why not?

So I'm good to go. Didn't plan on it being this easy.

I just saw delchyrs' thread and thought it looked interesting. It definitely kicked up some dust.

These AA threads just make me laugh, as if they'd let unqualified people into med school. I've yet to meet a URM I thought was a questionable admit...for the most part I just hope I don't get left in their dust.

Yes, I think it would be better if AA were based on socioeconomic factors...but you know what? The current version is a good start and you're really not in danger of having someone "steal your spot." If you're a strong candidate you don't have to worry about AA. End of story.

i'm not worried one whit about "my spot," i'm just concerned about the fact that a bunch of people (A) refuse to admit that making a thread called "are there any black female premeds" is inherently divisive and racist, and (B) that race-based admissions preferences are racist by definition. people are not numbers, they are individuals, and should be evaluated as such.

for the ring, probably 3-6k. financing? well, i get a certain amount in student loans, and i may also work at the same time. theoretically, my income might be enough, when coupled with student loans and factoring in the truth of the matter, which is to say i don't spend money on ANYTHING fun any more, i should be able to reach that goal within 10 months or so. of course, it's all "theoretical" since various educational and professional institutions have a beef with students who work or students who spend their student loans on things like rings, so i can't say anything solid for fear of incrimination.

LauraMac said:
i hate stuff like that. all it does is segregate even more. but oh well, people can do whatever they want IMO as long as they aren't hurting anyone else.

but yeah, i am EXTREMELY anti-affirmative action. people's race shouldn't matter at all for anything they do in life.

Outside of mathematics, there are few absolutes and it seems to me that you're making an absolute statement. Race / gender / sexual orientation / socio-economics all play a role in our upbringing, access to services and the breadth of opportunities open to us. I hope that at some point in your career as a physician you will appreciate that the choices we make in life are sometimes out of our control. I don't believe humans are truly able to appreciate such complexities in a quantifiable way, at least at present. Your statement in particular, however, reflects a total lack of understanding and a clear lack of empathy.

Moreover, I'd like to point out that any person will advocate privilege so long as she/he is a beneficiary. But kudos to you on your firm stance if you're a pregnant, black female presently living in a ghetto.

Just from a brief glimpse at this thread, i got to say, the passion and garrulousness in delchrys posts is extraordinary, i barely had the stamina to keep up. whew!

anyway you seem to really have command of the issue but lets be honest here, the majority of people are extremely ignorant, simplistic and hold very narrow views of the world (in NO WAY am i talking about any of the people posting on this thread), as a rule this is true. your advocacy for being able to transcend as an individual, as such in all regards to society, as the ultimate solution, atleast thats what im simplistically inferring as your answer, seems a real waste of energy because, no offense, your style, which i like, isnt winning anyone over. if this issue meant that much to you, i think you could find a better outlet than debating with such defiance.

In the meantime, Im focusin on my interviews as my means to persuasion, yeeaa!!!

i know, kstone, i just come here to vent, hear others' views (whether or not i treat those views with reverence on this website is another thing entirely), and to rock the boat/rouse the rabble.

in my REAL life, i am working diligently to make the world better, albeit in small ways. :)

delchrys said:
i'm not worried one whit about "my spot," i'm just concerned about the fact that a bunch of people (A) refuse to admit that making a thread called "are there any black female premeds" is inherently divisive and racist, and (B) that race-based admissions preferences are racist by definition. people are not numbers, they are individuals, and should be evaluated as such.

for the ring, probably 3-6k. financing? well, i get a certain amount in student loans, and i may also work at the same time. theoretically, my income might be enough, when coupled with student loans and factoring in the truth of the matter, which is to say i don't spend money on ANYTHING fun any more, i should be able to reach that goal within 10 months or so. of course, it's all "theoretical" since various educational and professional institutions have a beef with students who work or students who spend their student loans on things like rings, so i can't say anything solid for fear of incrimination.

The intent to discriminate is a large component of prejudice. Moreover, the black female pre-med thread isn't stopping you from airing your opinions and beliefs. Nor is it foreseeable that just because that thread exists, it will blanket or shut-out others' opinions.

Since you're such an advocate of equal rights and opportunities, I hope you similarly question the white business establishment in which 99% of high ranking CEO's are white.

You clearly do not understand the connotations associated with the words "prejudice" and "divisive", so I hope you go and read.

i'm of a race that is way overrepresented in medicine and yet it's not that hard for me to understand and accept the purpose served by the recruitment of URM's as it is absolutely essential to the practice medicine anywhere in this country. i'm well aware of that fact that it makes things more difficult for me, but that makes it all the more special to be part of a diverse community of physicians when i finally make it as opposed to a bunch of rich white guys who weren't challenged all that much by uncontrollable circumstances en route to becoming physicians. the system is not perfect and it's not fair, but by now you must have gotten used to so many things in the world that are unfair and this shouldn't bother you the least bit.

as i said before, it's about the person as much as it is about the numbers so stop feeling sorry for yourselves. if you're truly qualified, you will make it. if you're bothered by your own insecurity, don't blame it on extraneous practices such as AA to make yourself feel better... you only have yourself to blame if you can't make it. as ajay said, stop thinking about what's best for you and feeling sorry for yourself... if you want to be a physician, you're going to have to put yourself in other people's shoes - often people of a completely different backgrounds whose values and beliefs you might not agree with - but you have to accept all this is you want to do your job and be part of this community.

constructor, just out of curiosity, why did you vote yes?

for all of those curious, you can see who voted which way...if you voted yes, please explain your reasoning?

ajay: blah blah blah, go bang a moose or a michael moore, you canadian fruitbag. this is a discussion about AMERICA and americans, so go back to canada where medical care is affordable and people have educations, and leave america to the fat!

i mean, people are individuals, not numbers. i don't have you because you're canadian; i hate you because of who you are deep down inside.

now, let me explain something elementary about the english language to you, oh person from the land of the most boring national anthem ever. a behavior or law can be discriminatory in INTENT or discriminatory in EFFECT. in america, which is the context of this conversation, the supreme court uses this very analysis to determine if a law in unconstitutional in terms of discrimination. so, either the american supreme court needs to learn how to read (please, suggest that to scalia, i'm sure he'd appreciate your candor), or you are full of schitt.

as to white businesses, actually yeah, i have done a lot in that regard, but that is not something i'm going to parade around on a freakin webpage so i can prove what a nice guy i am. i have always hired and fired and promoted based on ABILITY independent of race and gender, and the fact that over 50% of my staff and supervisory personnel who i had working for me were black should tell you something. lastly, don't use the word foreseeable again until you've at bare minimum had some kind of legal education. it is you who does not know the meanings of the words you use, not i.

contructor: i suppose the next "appropriate" step would be to restrict black physicians to working in predominantly black areas, and whites to predominantly white areas? i mean, isn't that the logical extension of your reasoning as to why we "need" physicians of any particular race? last time i checked, i want the best goddamned neurosurgeon in the world operating on my tumor, not the person who got in and did okay.

cooldreams said:
constructor, just out of curiosity, why did you vote yes?

for all of those curious, you can see who voted which way...if you voted yes, please explain your reasoning?

read one of my first responses...

Uegis said:
Affirmative action is in place to prevent institutional racism. You are correct people's race shouldn't matter, but it does because a lot of people hold stereotypes or thinks negatively of certain races. Its the truth and you are being overly idealistic if you think race is unimportant in education, hiring practices, etc.

I know there seems to be a double-standard in terms of certain racial/ethnic organizations being okay, but Caucasian organizations being viewed as racist. But you must understand that these groups are trying to equalize the field and be treated as equals as opposed to Caucasians who already have a dominant foothold in American society.

I am not being racist or saying that ALL americans are like this, but minorities DO have a difficult time in the United States. Affirmative action only provides a small percentage of them to have "equal" opportunity as a Caucasian.

Even if all this is true, affirmative action is as wrong as wrong can be.

delchrys said:
ajay: blah blah blah, go bang a moose or a michael moore, you canadian fruitbag. this is a discussion about AMERICA and americans, so go back to canada where medical care is affordable and people have educations, and leave america to the fat!

i mean, people are individuals, not numbers. i don't have you because you're canadian; i hate you because of who you are deep down inside.

now, let me explain something elementary about the english language to you, oh person from the land of the most boring national anthem ever. a behavior or law can be discriminatory in INTENT or discriminatory in EFFECT. in america, which is the context of this conversation, the supreme court uses this very analysis to determine if a law in unconstitutional in terms of discrimination. so, either the american supreme court needs to learn how to read (please, suggest that to scalia, i'm sure he'd appreciate your candor), or you are full of schitt.

as to white businesses, actually yeah, i have done a lot in that regard, but that is not something i'm going to parade around on a freakin webpage so i can prove what a nice guy i am. i have always hired and fired and promoted based on ABILITY independent of race and gender, and the fact that over 50% of my staff and supervisory personnel who i had working for me were black should tell you something. lastly, don't use the word foreseeable again until you've at bare minimum had some kind of legal education. it is you who does not know the meanings of the words you use, not i.

contructor: i suppose the next "appropriate" step would be to restrict black physicians to working in predominantly black areas, and whites to predominantly white areas? i mean, isn't that the logical extension of your reasoning as to why we "need" physicians of any particular race? last time i checked, i want the best goddamned neurosurgeon in the world operating on my tumor, not the person who got in and did okay.

*Yawn*

I talked about both INTENT and EFFECT, you idiot. Learn to read. If you can't afford it, come up here; we have a great education system. We won't even call you names, you arrogant bastard.

as for delchrys canadian comments...hilarious, finally getting some damn entertainment out of this stupid forum.

delchrys said:

if you can find a town in which only black people live or in which only white people live, sure... isn't that how things already are? in predominantly white areas you hardly see a minority physician... in predominantly minority areas, you see a lot of minority physicians and also some whites because (get this - surprise, surprise)... minorities are underrepresented in medicine as per their population in the united states. also, when you're talking about having physicians of a particular race work in areas where they can relate to the population, you're always talking about primary care physicians who are the educators and the first line of defense against easily treated diseases for people in underserved areas... you're not talking about surgeons... when you apply for residency, it's all about your boards and your grades and no one cares what your race is because as you said, you would want the best neurosurgeon operating on your brain tumor (best grades and board scores)... and i would hope for everyone's sake that it is someone with the best grades and board scores operating on your brain... :laugh:

intially, i thought your intentions might be good or that you maybe grew up in a society without much exposure to minorities, but at this point i have concluded that you're just a dumb ****in' bigot who's coming out of his shell... anyone smell trent lott??? :laugh:

delchrys said:
i have one question to the originator and those who continue to make that one of the largest threads around: WHY DOES IT MATTER??!!?!?!!?

:thumbdown:

There is a discussion for this in a lot of medical schools. People from different races are different.

Ex.:
White people complain a lot.
Asians are more reserved about pain and medical issues.

Race matters! When I say that, hopefully people will realize in this thread that it can matter in a positive way. Once we recognize differences b/t races, we can treat each in a more effective way.

Ben

Mr. Seeds said:
OMG, is that a storm trooper? :laugh: :laugh:

No! It is ****** *Edited by EvoDevo*

constructor said:
if you can find a town in which only black people live or in which only white people live, sure... isn't that how things already are? in predominantly white areas you hardly see a minority physician... in predominantly minority areas, you see a lot of minority physicians and also some whites because (get this - surprise, surprise)... minorities are underrepresented in medicine as per their population in the united states. also, when you're talking about having physicians of a particular race work in areas where they can relate to the population, you're always talking about primary care physicians who are the educators and the first line of defense against easily treated diseases for people in underserved areas... you're not talking about surgeons... when you apply for residency, it's all about your boards and your grades and no one cares what your race is because as you said, you would want the best neurosurgeon operating on your brain tumor (best grades and board scores)... and i would hope for everyone's sake that it is someone with the best grades and board scores operating on your brain... :laugh:

intially, i thought your intentions might be good or that you maybe grew up in a society without much exposure to minorities, but at this point i have concluded that you're just a dumb ****in' bigot who's coming out of his shell... anyone smell trent lott??? :laugh:

When all else fails, call them bigots! Shame them into silence, into fear that if they blasphemize against your Diversity God, they will be ridiculed and shunned.

I'm always amazed at the stark parallelisms between AA discussions and religious debates. :rolleyes:

Okay kids...

I'm closing this thread. This is an old argument that has been re-hashed many times on SDN. While I don't mind general discussion (in a mature manner), all of you need to refrain from making racist posts and engaging in personal attacks.

From the SDN TOS:

Harassment and Flaming

The Student Doctor Network members are not permitted to harass or "flame" other members. Please do not post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. Please note that this also includes the posting of taunts on a forum solely for the purpose of deriding that forum's topic and/or members.

And,

Inappropriate Language

The use of inappropriate or offensive language is not permitted in these forums. Inappropriate or offensive language includes, but is not limited to, any language or content that is sexually oriented, sexually suggestive or abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, or that contains racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind. We ask that you please be considerate to other members in the forums when posting your messages.

Since this thread has violated these rules in multiple ways, I have no choice but to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.