any white students out there attending howard med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi:

hope everyone is well. i am just wondering if there are any white students who attend howard that might be willing to chat me with me briefly about their experience applying to and attending the school. actually, any student at howard who has an opinion on this topic would be great. i am transitioning from an academic career where i have done extensive grad work in ethnic US studies, so i am very clued into race issues.

thoughts appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

chos said:
hi:

hope everyone is well. i am just wondering if there are any white students who attend howard that might be willing to chat me with me briefly about their experience applying to and attending the school. actually, any student at howard who has an opinion on this topic would be great. i am transitioning from an academic career where i have done extensive grad work in ethnic US studies, so i am very clued into race issues.

thoughts appreciated!
I'm not a Howard student but when I went there for interview i took the time to attend a lecture and speak with some students extensively about the school. First off there were quite a few white students around. I spoke to a couple and this is what they said about life as a white student in a historically black college:
Dont go in with race on your mind, in the end it makes no difference. Just give yourself an opportunity to get to know the students and pretty soon you'll fit right in. In the begining it is a little intimidating to be a white person in a class that is mayority white, but keep in mind that black and other minority students go through the exact same thing in almost every med school and they do just fine. It's good that you are interested in race issues, but as a med student you and your classmates will have other things to worry about.
I didnt percieve any racial tension at all within the student body. When i spoke to white students they were all pretty happy with their experiences there. They did mention that at first it felt wierd being white and feeling like a minority, but as they met people and integrated themselves into student life it pretty soon became a non issue.
If I were you I would call the student affairs office and ask if you can attend lectures and speak to students yourself, or just do it on interview day like I did. Speak to random students to get an honest overall picture of what awaits you there. I dont think you will be dissapointed.
Hoped that helped.

thanks for your thoughtful response!