Any Wife and Husband's in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Round4

Med School Dreams
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone in med school and married to someone who is also in med school with a child or two?

If so how is your experience?

I'm not going to be in that exact same situation but if I'm lucky and get accepted to med school wherever my wife is going to dental school there won't be much difference really. Besides curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone in med school and married to someone who is also in med school with a child or two?

I'm not going to be in that exact same situation but if I'm lucky and get accepted to med school wherever my wife is going to dental school there won't be much difference really. Besides curriculum.

Med school would be a bit different; spouse & I attended a top tier business school at the same time, with an infant + working. Mostly what it entailed was an incredible amount of planning and timing, cell phone communication frequently, understanding between us when projects were due, acceptance of all the outside work required to succeed in the program, respect for the value of eachother's work (as opposed to "I'm going to be the high-paid professional, you need to cover for me on the homefront").

Sleep had to be scheduled; it was quite challenging to fit in doing things like budgets given all the schoolwork involved. We gained the rhythm of the school after a while; where in the academic cycle are we, is this a lull or a crunch/pre-test time. We learned to fit "optional" things into the lulls as they definitely would not fit elsewhere in the academic year!

One component of the medical side - an MD relative is married to a physician - in their experience at least, one person has an inflexible specialty with evening call frequently, the other chose a specialty with a predictable schedule with basically no call. They have a full cadre of backup childcare support given how crazy their schedules are; + cleaning people and about every type of support you could imaging.

I'm not, but many of my classmates are either seriously dating or are engaged to people in med school.

My wife was in Dental Hygiene school while I was in Undergrad. We have a 7 year old, and that was fine...

I don't think it's that big of a deal. Med school is like a full time job with overtime. I "work" 9-5, take a break for dinner/family time, then study a little less hard-core (maybe while "watching" TV with the family) for the rest of the evening. Read some phys in bed, and that's the day.

It's certainly do-able.