any word from southern IL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captain

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from SIU since the committee meeting that was supposed to be held 3/31?

Members don't see this ad.

let me know if you do

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything and when I called several weeks ago they would not give up any info (except "be patiient") other than my status (AWPA) had not changed.

I'll post if I hear anything. I'd like to know if they have actually sent anything out since 3/31.

I'm not sure if they are going to notify everyone or just acceptances. Did you get the "high Probability" of acceptance letter previously?

hola,
i have been awpa for 2 months. The last batch went out a while ago, so if you did not get a formal acceptance then-- you will get your letter on a case by case basis depending on your rank on that list. (I.E. when someone withdraws thier deposit). Since the SIU deposit is so low..100bucks, alot of people I hear hang on to the depost well beyond for a long time.

Someone from admissions told me that one year they had 2 or 3 no-shows on the first day of class (how rude not to withdraw!). So they quickly called up people the day classes started and enrolled them. I hope thats not the case.

Admissions told me they usually get thru the whole AWPA list, but some years the few people ranked lowest do not get a spot.

Its a wierd state of limbo to be in!
I really liked SIU so I hope i get a formal offer soon.

:)

I've also had a AWPA for a little over 2 months. I was told (or so I thought) that another "batch" was suppossed to go out at the end of march and then the case by case procedure ensues. This is somewhat confusing...

Well, I think if they sent out letters from the 03/30/04 admissions meeting they would have arrived by now. I'll keep my fingers crossed from now through the summer months!(that sure seems like a long time !) Good luck to everyone and keep us posted.

hey i thought i'd post this ? on this thread since its about Southern Il...anyway, i was looking on their website and couldn't find info about if it was cheaper / easier to get into for instate people. what's the word? is it cheaper and/or easier to get accepted if i am instate?

I'm almost positive they only take instate applicants for the M.D. program and reserve a few M.D./Ph.D. spots for some out of staters.

Originally posted by FredSTL
I'm almost positive they only take instate applicants for the M.D. program and reserve a few M.D./Ph.D. spots for some out of staters.

Not only that, but they also say something about being from Southern IL as well (not just IL)...I know that increases your chances.

SIU will accept only IL residents for the MD program and very few out of state for their MD/JD program. No MD/PhD program at SIU however. These facts are from Erin Graham, director of admission, who came to talk at our school a couple of weeks ago.

I contacted SIU and they told me that a March batch was sent out...I guess no of us were in it! Now, it's on a case by case basis as people decline their acceptance.

Does anyone know how many people are on the AWPA list - How many on the waitlist? How much movement on either? Thanks!

we have decided that cheeb should contact SIU and ask those questions and let us know the answer. :)

Still no word!

nothing here either. Any idea of the movement off the list last year? Do m1's talk about this? They had an orientation day friday. I don't know how many have committed.

Wait, what are you talking about? They had an orientation?!?! I'm confused...

I know a person that was accepted and they had an orientation on Friday, 4/16. Obviously the class is not full yet but they apparently give an orientation at this point to the ones who have committed. Maybe some will drop after the orintation and open up even more spots. The person I talked to said that there was less than 50 people there so that leaves a lot open still.