Anybody applied late like August and still got in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how late it is to apply in August and take the mcat in august. Has anybody applied in August and got in to at least one med school, or at least have you heard stories about it?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how late it is to apply in August and take the mcat in august. Has anybody applied in August and got in to at least one med school, or at least have you heard stories about it?

of course people do it...every year you will hear a few of the stories. but even those people will tell you it is a HUGE disadvantage to apply that late. while you are waiting for MCAT scores people are already on interviews. unless you are a stellar stellar applicant (i'm talkin the whole nine yards) it would probably be better to wait til the next cycle. of course this also depends on where you are applying.... are you applying MD and DO? how many schools? etc. etc.

bottom line, avoid applying that late if at all possible, for an average applicant it is the nail in the coffin.

yep, I had a friend who wasn't complete till mid-October. she only applied to 1 MD and 1 DO school, though. she had a 3.8, 24 MCAT. she was interviewed and waitlisted at both, but just got in off the waitlist at the DO school!

my other friend applied just as late a year ago and just finished her first year at WashU! she had a 3.9+ and 41 MCAT, though haha.

neither were URM.

You can apply a lot later than August and still get an acceptance. The statistical likelihood of success is however, markedly less. I submitted in October, had my transcripts verified in November (5+ weeks!). My MCAT was average, but I had a high GPA. I applied to five schools and I got an acceptance. There's no question that applying late prevents you from being fully considered by schools whose mean stats are in your range. I did not apply to any reach schools, but still did not get the number of interviews I thought I was likely to.

But it only takes one.