Anybody Apply to U. Melbourne or Sydney in Australia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zpearl

PreVet Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently just finished applying to schools in the states but was curious about applying to Australia as well. Anybody know if its worth putting in the effort for applying if I eventually plan on practicing vet med in the US? I mostly just want a good excuse to travel and get my degree at the same time haha but when I was looking at U. Melbourne's application process for international students, I found it a bit discouraging. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I applied to both. Got into both... deferred both...

Their school year starts in February so I wanted to wait to hear back from the US schools first. To tell you the truth I don't know too much about their programs either, but I also wanted an excuse to travel, and also it seemed like maybe it was a good back-up? I think I'd rather go to U Sydney or Melbourne than any of the for-profit vet schools.

One thing that is really weird is that it's a BACHELOR'S degree. so people can graduate high school and do a 5 year program. So if you've taken all the US vet prereqs you're probably eligible for their 4 year program which allows you to essentially enter in the 2nd year of the 5 year program. Both schools are AVMA recognized, which is good.

If any students go there or have visited or know more about it, please post and add your 2 cents.

Hi guys, i actually applied to Murdoch and not Melbourne or Sydney. Just out of curiosity, would you guys mind discussing why you didn't apply to Murdoch too?

Members don't see this ad :)
just wanted elaborate on what rainsoup said about it being a "bachelor's" degree- its still a DVM regardless. In Canada at OVC, the vet program is technically a bachelor's degree program, but its no different then getting your DVM at any American AVMA accredited school.

Though Australia is an incredible place to travel- remember you will be doing SCHOOL here, so it won't be a holiday for most of the time you're here.

If you go to either Sydney, Melb or Murdoch, then practicing in the USA will not be a problem-

Just note that the cost of living in Australia is quite high compared to the USA- but all in all Australia is awesome.

Zpearl- why was Melbourne's application process discouraging?

i'm now a 3rd year at murdoch

i do remember when applying internationally, it was on a whim (and my last shot after three failed rounds). however, there was something extra about syd or melb's app that i didn't feel like doing, and after three years of rejections i couldn't be bothered to jump through more hoops (no matter how small they were) which was why i only applied to murdoch.

yes, the school year starts in feb. and the grading system is different too. but in the end, it's avma accredited, and that's all i need. does murdoch have deficiencies? yes; however, right now vet schools across the world are facing massive budget shortfalls, and we all have to put up with them.

i can say i'm happy with my education so far. prior to vet school i worked for years at uc davis' vmth. from what i can tell, we are getting what we need based on what i've seen davis' students go through.

and i think going to aus is a perfect excuse to travel. i'm not always on holiday. however, at murdoch we get 3 non-consecutive weeks off during the semester for "study breaks," 2 months for winter break and nearly 3 months for summer. granted there is stuff to be done over the breaks; however, you can play your cards right and have plenty free time over the breaks, though that becomes more difficult as you progress through the course. that being said, i'm going to thailand and laos in january. and coming here only makes me want to travel more, which i plan to do.

i can't speak for syd or melb, only murdoch in perth, but if you have any questions, let me know