Anybody Bomb One Of Their Kaplan Practice Exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTradHopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken 4 practice exams, with the following results:

AA---TS---Bio--GC---OC---RC--QR---PAT
21---22---20---21---28---17---21---23 -->2007 ADA (VERY easy)
20---20---20---23---18---18---20---23 -->2009 ADA
20---21---21---19---23---18---20---20 -->Kaplan (inside book)
19---18---16---18---21---18---20---21 -->Kaplan (online)

From the scores above, you can see that I BOMBED the online Kaplan test. For starters, it was full of errors and spelling mistakes (especially in the math section).

But, I'm still dishearted with my performance on the online Kaplan test (16 on bio is terrible).

Did any of you have a Kaplan practice that you bombed on? How did you end up doing on the real test?

My test is two weeks away.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Um yeah, I pretty much would always bomb at least one section per kaplan test and do pretty mediocre on all the rest, rarely breaking 20 AA on them. I'd go back and review and realize that I'd made dumb errors and stuff like that. Even got like a 19 AA on the last kaplan test I took before my DAT (which scared the crap out of me!)

I just made sure to realize my mistakes so I wouldn't repeat them on the real thing and kept telling myself it would be ok. Took my test and got 24 AA & TS so don't get disheartened! You can do it!

Don't be discouraged. The computer interface was probably just a little different. If you can, do a few more online practice tests, I'm sure you'll improve.

I started off with Kaplan with lower scores than you and I did just fine on the DAT. Good luck!

Um yeah, I pretty much would always bomb at least one section per kaplan test and do pretty mediocre on all the rest, rarely breaking 20 AA on them. I'd go back and review and realize that I'd made dumb errors and stuff like that. Even got like a 19 AA on the last kaplan test I took before my DAT (which scared the crap out of me!)

I just made sure to realize my mistakes so I wouldn't repeat them on the real thing and kept telling myself it would be ok. Took my test and got 24 AA & TS so don't get disheartened! You can do it!

Don't be discouraged. The computer interface was probably just a little different. If you can, do a few more online practice tests, I'm sure you'll improve.

I started off with Kaplan with lower scores than you and I did just fine on the DAT. Good luck!

Thanks guys, this definitely makes me feel better. Looking back at the test, I can definitely see a few of the dumb mistakes that I made.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan was rough. I bombed Kaplan's practice tests. I did about the same or worse than you on mine. Three weeks before my DAT, I got a 15 or 16 on General Chemistry, and the highest I could manage was a 21 on one of the sections. I would not be discouraged by Kaplan. It was just not representative of the real test.

That's just one test, and you only did terrible in one section. Don't sweat it. Just do more tests. What I've seen is that people get a score similar to what they averaged throughout their DAT practice tests. Do more and you'll be fine.

Kaplan was rough. I bombed Kaplan's practice tests. I did about the same or worse than you on mine. Three weeks before my DAT, I got a 15 or 16 on General Chemistry, and the highest I could manage was a 21 on one of the sections. I would not be discouraged by Kaplan. It was just not representative of the real test.

Jbop, what did you end up getting on your actual DAT?

24 - I remember you posting on my breakdown :p

You are an inspiration jbop. So, when you scored such low grades on the Kaplan practice tests, how exactly did you keep yourself motivated to study?

And more importantly, when you saw those low practice scores, what did you do to (i.e. how did you study) to get your scores back up?

thanks so much! God, motivation. When I got the low grades, it really got to me, and I promised myself that I would work really hard on general chemistry. I guess before the Kaplan test, I had just reviewed the material without letting it set in my brain. My low grades confirmed the fact that I needed extra help, so I bought the DAT Destroyer and went over Chad's material one more time, thoroughly. I think I took a full week to go over general chemistry again...Kaplan scared me to my senses for sure.

I owe a lot to Bud who told me that I'll be fine for the real test. She really encouraged me to keep studying. I must have rewatched parts of Chad's videos that I didn't completely understand and redone all of his quizzes. Once I found out my weaknesses, I really focused on them for a few hours every day. Did the same problems over and over to get them straight (like Ksp...ugh, really hard).

After my gen chem bootcamp week, I started the DAT Destroyer and learned a lot from those problems too. The last week I went over DAT Destroyer one more time to cement problems I had trouble with.

You are an inspiration jbop. So, when you scored such low grades on the Kaplan practice tests, how exactly did you keep yourself motivated to study?

And more importantly, when you saw those low practice scores, what did you do to (i.e. how did you study) to get your scores back up?

thanks so much! God, motivation. When I got the low grades, it really got to me, and I promised myself that I would work really hard on general chemistry. I guess before the Kaplan test, I had just reviewed the material without letting it set in my brain. My low grades confirmed the fact that I needed extra help, so I bought the DAT Destroyer and went over Chad's material one more time, thoroughly. I think I took a full week to go over general chemistry again...Kaplan scared me to my senses for sure.

I owe a lot to Bud who told me that I'll be fine for the real test. She really encouraged me to keep studying. I must have rewatched parts of Chad's videos that I didn't completely understand and redone all of his quizzes. Once I found out my weaknesses, I really focused on them for a few hours every day. Did the same problems over and over to get them straight (like Ksp...ugh, really hard).

After my gen chem bootcamp week, I started the DAT Destroyer and learned a lot from those problems too. The last week I went over DAT Destroyer one more time to cement problems I had trouble with.

Great...thanks for the advice. I'm starting my first topscore practice test today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ok, just got done taking Topscore practice test #1. Here are my scores:

AA: 20
TS: 20
Bio: 19
GC: 19
OC: 20
RC: 20
QR: 20
PAT: 25

...what do you think?