Anybody buy a home? I need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

time md

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting medical school in the fall and am hoping to buy a home. If any of you guys have had experience with this your advice will be greatly appreciated. During one of my interviews I was told to check a certain back because that bank gives medical students low interest home loans. What should I expect? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I don't have any financial advice regarding whether or not it's a good idea to buy a house right now or not. Also can't comment on maintaining a household during medical school. I can give you just a few pointers on buying your first house as I just bought mine a tad shy of a year ago.

1.) Get a good real estate agent. I went with one 4 of my coworkers had used and highly recommended. He was great at pointing things out with houses I wouldn't have thought of. He knew the city well. He's been available to help with questions that have come up well after the purchase.

2.) Even with the economy the way it is, banks will still offer you more money for your mortgage loan than you have any business taking. Budget wisely, go well below what they say you can have. Also get a pre-approval in writing before you go making an offer anywhere as it tells the seller you look like a better buyer to deal with than someone who just thinks they can get the loan.

3.) Get an inspection from a solid inspector. Don't skip this step.

4.) If find a place you like and decide to buy it, make sure you check it out a few days before closing to make sure the sellers have done things like clean it, not trashed it, etc since you last looked at it. It was in my contract for them to clean the place, remove pet waste from the yard, etc. When I came there were burned fries in oven, milkshake spilled on the fridge, junk piled in the garage, and I don't think they so much as vacuumed, and the paint on the walls had been scraped and gouged when they moved furniture out. Also found a storage area with a ton of mouse droppings that had been hidden during inspection. They'd claimed no pest issues and the contract.

Personally in the future I'd request they have the house professionally cleaned and carpet shampooed and provide receipts before closing. That might be overkill but it gaurantees it's closer to your definition of what clean might be. If there are problems, take pictures, document, and act on it right away.

5.) Plan to spend quite a bit more money getting settled than you might initially think. General maintenance stuff and things like shovels, a ladder, lawn mower, and other stuff you might need can really add up. It is a bit more work and time keep up with a house than an apartment.

6.) I haven't heard about loans specific for medical students, but I have heard about physician and resident loans because they can have a hard time qualifying for a mortgage with their debt load. I've heard those physician loans have low interest rates, but can have very high fees. My thought is look around, check on fees , read the fine print, and see what others in your area have gone with.

My two cents.

That said, I absolutely love my house and am very glad I made the purchase :love: No noisey neighbors, awesome backyard with a volleyball net and a fire pit.....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I bought a house the summer before I began med school. A friend and I were looking at rentals and in the area we were looking rent was basically the same price as a mortgage. So we did some looking, went through three realtors, saw probably 100 places and ended up closing about 1 week before school started.

It really hasn't been that much work, but we went into the project knowing that one of the things we wanted in a house was something that wouldn't require much upkeep due to the schedule of med school. And, costs really weren't that bad, like I said it is comparable to rent.

One thing that I and a few of my classmates did, was to take on a renter. The way my roommate and I work it is that we just put the rent money in a separate account, sort of an "in case of s***" account, so that like 2 months ago when our washing machine stopped working, we just bought a new one with that money. And, then when we sell, the rest of that money will either be split towards the loan, seller's costs, or just pocketed. Also, at least at my school there are tons of classmates looking for places to live, so you will never be at a loss for responsible, like-minded renters.

Another thing we did was have the seller's buy a homeowner's warranty, which covered all the appliances etc within the house. Essentially if you can write it into the contract it could end up saving you a lot of time and money. If something breaks, or clogs, or starts speaking we just call the company, they send out a repairman and fix whatever the problem is for some flat fee, so for instance if the frig stopped working we would pay the flat fee (~$70) and if it needed replaced they would replace it. My only advice about that is, research the company you buy the policy from, we went local with place with good reviews, I have heard tons of horror stories about national places that contract with local companies for the work, there are so many degrees of separation that if anything major ever happens it is a nightmare.

As far as loans, like I said, I went 50/50 with a good friend, and they have a real job (like a real adult!) so the loan is in their name and we just drew up our own separate contract essentially outlining all of the expenses, etc will be split 50/50.

We just got our $8000 yesterday too! So, we are planning some improvements this summer before I take off for my research project. New fence, new shower.

I would say that if you think carefully through all the permutations, residency, time, cost, rental, owning while in med school makes a lot of sense. But, it is not worth it if you can't find the right place or don't have the time/resources to make it work.

I am currently looking into this too. Interesting thread. Guys please post any new info you have on here as far as which companies to get a loan with etc. Thanks

I would not buy a home prior to MS-I for the following reasons:

[1] Owning is a ton of work (anything that breaks is on you; whereas a landlord does all the work if you rent)
-> there is barely any time to watch TV, let alone take care of the house.

[2] You don't have much time to research the location

[3] First year does not have a 100% passing rate.
-> It is a possibility that you will not be able to finish MSI, and then you end up with a very expensive purchase.

I would not buy a home prior to MS-I for the following reasons:

[1] Owning is a ton of work (anything that breaks is on you; whereas a landlord does all the work if you rent)
-> there is barely any time to watch TV, let alone take care of the house.

[2] You don't have much time to research the location

[3] First year does not have a 100% passing rate.
-> It is a possibility that you will not be able to finish MSI, and then you end up with a very expensive purchase.

I am starting school in the fall and my wife and I are planning on buying. Her job should allow us to get a traditional loan. I think it really comes down to a lifestyle choice of rent vs own and definitely buying something either near campus or that you know you could rent out in four years if you can't sell it--this is really important so that you don't get stuck with a house on the market in residency. Because of these issues and the ones mentioned above, I would get a good realtor who just works for you (buyer's agent).

I have worked in real estate for several years, and always use an agent for buying or selling. If you would like help finding an agent, my current company has an incredible network of the top relocation agents around the country. A relocation agent specializes in helping people new to the area and is a wealth of free information regarding moving, neighborhoods, schools, rental potential, etc. It's free of charge to you...pm me if you want more information as I'm happy to help.
Best of luck.