Anybody else can't help but think us DO M4s are gunna be screwed this match (especially us without home programs)?

Dr.Bruh

2+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2018
Dwindling audition possibilities, virtual interviews etc. PDs and residents saying they are basically planning on matching heavility from their home instituition this year. How are you guys/girls getting over the doom feeling having your career plans totaly thrashed?

Reactions: 1 users

DennisReynolds

Jul 28, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Not gonna lie. If I were an upcoming OMS-4... I'd be nervous and have some solid back ups in FM, IM, etc. ready to apply to.

This year will def be messy.

F*ck COVID.

Reactions: 7 users

bigt1mer

Feb 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yep, ****ed over since '92. I'm just glad I'm not going for a surgical sub.

About the Ads

neurodjent

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I may just be choosing to be optimistic since the alternative is being miserable with all that is going on but I still feel ok about my shot at my desired specialty. I can’t envision myself doing anything else so I’m going all in on it and hoping everything works out. There are thousands of students in our shoes and I’d like to believe that PDs will be understanding and accommodating this year. Again, this may be overly optimistic but I can’t deal with the opposite.

Dr.Bruh

2+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2018
I may just be choosing to be optimistic since the alternative is being miserable with all that is going on but I still feel ok about my shot at my desired specialty. I can’t envision myself doing anything else so I’m going all in on it and hoping everything works out. There are thousands of students in our shoes and I’d like to believe that PDs will be understanding and accommodating this year. Again, this may be overly optimistic but I can’t deal with the opposite.
Im going EM too and def still feel confident i'll match. But i was dead set on going to a new specific geographic location where I dont connection and auditions were basically the only way to ensure that. Still possible, but a lot less likely to match outside of your geographic area of your school/home town unless its like a for AOA program or something. PDs will by in large take the path of least resistance for them. And that most likely involves picking home students more than before bc lack of in person evalulations. I dont have a ton of faith in programs being super accomidating given that so many have already closed their doors to orphan students knowing we need access to rotations more than anyone.

Reactions: 1 user

neurodjent

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Im going EM too and def still feel confident i'll match. But i was dead set on going to a new specific geographic location where I dont connection and auditions were basically the only way to ensure that. Still possible, but a lot less likely to match outside of your geographic area of your school/home town unless its like a for AOA program or something. PDs will by in large take the path of least resistance for them. And that most likely involves picking home students more than before bc lack of in person evalulations. I dont have a ton of faith in programs being super accomidating given that so many have already closed their doors to orphan students knowing we need access to rotations more than anyone.

Yea I agree with that geographic restrictions . There is definitely a lot of uncertainty going forward and I’m sorry that you’re stuck in such a difficult situation. I hope it works out for you.

the correspondence I have been receiving from some programs has been reassuring as far as working with orphan students. There hasn’t been anything set in stone yet but there are definitely programs out there that understand the need for orphan students to get an audition. I do highly doubt, however, that more than 1 audition will be possible this season.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
This is unfortunately one of those times where have a home insinuation/medical center would be quite advantages. I truly hope there will be some opportunities to still go out and do auditions for all of you.

Reactions: 5 users

DrStephenStrange

OMS-IV C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2017
The New York Sanctum
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The match algorithm fortunately is a 2 way street though. Yeah, PDs might choose home students, but that doesn't mean their students will choose them back if they have better opportunities or a chance to match another preferred location.

risus_sardonicus

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
PDs might favor US-MD students especially those with strong letters from clerkship in their desired specialty. Usually these students have strong letters from faculty many of the PDs are familiar with. Whereas a lot of DO schools have clerkships that are questionable to say the least.

If I was a M4 i would apply to many “safety” places particularly since traveling to interviews is no longer a cost. Use that money to cast a wider net and play the odds

Reactions: 4 users

allantois

Conversation Starter
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
We are generation screwed

Neopolymath

Renaissance Man
7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I will be seeking a therapist when I fall down to the bottom of my rank list to an awful program no doubt. To be frank, I will be insufferable if this happens and will be miserable to be around and self-destructive.

That said, **** it. One day at a time and work hard all the same to avoid self-sabotage.

Reactions: 10 users
A

AnatomyGrey12

I've gone from planning and hoping to match well to hoping I match at all. At this point my eggs are all in one basket, and as was said by @Neopolymath ,**** it. I've worked too hard towards my goals to turn back now.

Reactions: 12 users

ExplodingUlcers

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I talked to some third years at my bottom of the barrel MD school with no home programs outside of primary care and they all share your dread.

Reactions: 9 users
About the Ads

hallowmann

SDN Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
PDs might favor US-MD students especially those with strong letters from clerkship in their desired specialty. Usually these students have strong letters from faculty many of the PDs are familiar with. Whereas a lot of DO schools have clerkships that are questionable to say the least.

If I was a M4 i would apply to many “safety” places particularly since traveling to interviews is no longer a cost. Use that money to cast a wider net and play the odds

To be completely honest, as a DO applying outside of FM and community IM, you really should be applying to plenty of safeties, and in a lot of cases a backup specialty. It just may be even more true this year than previous years.

You guys will be OK, but this is definitely the time to go all in with multiple backup plans.

LatteColoredDO

Jul 31, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yeah I'm planning to apply OB/GYN but I'm also going to apply IM; I want to match at the end of the day but this process is going to be rough.

Ho0v-man

5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Perhaps the silver lining will that DO schools will be forced to come up with more robust clinical training for their students
They’ll somehow claim this cycles terrible match as DO discrimination. Assuming they report anything but “This years best primary care placement” because we all soaped into FM.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

You shall know the Truth

2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
They’ll somehow claim this cycles terrible match as DO discrimination. Assuming they report anything but “This years best primary care placement” because we all soaped into FM.
They will be flinging a new banner to the wind, March 15th 2021 100% OMM DO placement. Stills would be proud.

And so will the NBOME

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.