anybody else get depressed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

i've had lots of things go on this semester that really derailed my grades...i dont have any doubt that i can rebound but my parents will be irate when they see them (yes my parents still look at my grades) and it really gets to me... on top of that i just always feel like i'm not good enough to go to medical school and everything seems so overwhelming sometimes...

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend you seek immediate help from either a therapist or your clergy. You may need your parents assistance with this. If you are uncomfortable asking for help from them, make an appointment with your doctor. Get a physical (without your parents in the room) and tell your doctor how you feel. Your doctor can recommend someone to you or give you some boost with medical assistance until these feelings subside.

If you are still on your school campus, get help from the counseling center, your place of worship or the student health center. As long as you are over 18 years old, these organizations do not need to share your medical history with your parents.

As a young person you have too much to look forward to, to allow sadness to enter your path. Seek help now, so next school year you are back on track and feeling good about yourself.

talk to your friends, nothing like a good friend to support you through all this.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've had lots of things go on this semester that really derailed my grades...i dont have any doubt that i can rebound but my parents will be irate when they see them (yes my parents still look at my grades) and it really gets to me... on top of that i just always feel like i'm not good enough to go to medical school and everything seems so overwhelming sometimes...

simple solution.....perform better

Chill out mannnnnnnnnn.

That should be least of your concerns. If you are depressed then that is a much more serious issue. However, disappointment is not depression...

Deep breath.

If the issues can be taken care of, take care of them.

If not, talk to someone who can help you.

If you have been denied year after year when applying to medical school, this can happen because you cannot self-actualize your ideal goal. But really, I would consult a counselor if you are down in the dumps and there is no way for you to get out of it.

Think positive and find someone to talk to (friends, family, a professional). Take everything in perspective.

Something I recommend: when you aren't working, etc, play some music that puts you in a good mood and work out everyday. Feel better!

Think positive and find someone to talk to (friends, family, a professional). Take everything in perspective.

Something I recommend: when you aren't working, etc, play some music that puts you in a good mood and work out everyday. Feel better!

Hey Decicco, what's your avatar about? when I first saw it I thought it was a guy who climbed a long way and realized that the buildings that everyone was in the tall buildings in the distance and he saw only a steep drop infront of him. The sun is throwing me off though...

Looks like art work for an Ayn Rand book.

ahh, dude, i feel you.

my spring sem grades depress me more than i am already depressed.

Aww...how sweet. Everyone on SDN is being so kind and helpful...what a nice change. Maybe it's because everyone feels that way at times.

Things will get better (wo)man. This isn't the end of the world. Just deal with the result of whatever happened to you this semester for now, and then when the feelings pass, try harder next semester. You don't want to get too obsessed with this stuff, or you will end up crazy. Just try your hardest and be happy with the result. You don't know what the future will bring. Maybe this little setback will be good for you in the long run.

surround yourself with people that make you happy and hope for a better semester. goodluck

My parents also look at my grades, and I actually ask them which classes they think I should take... and they are usually right about these things. Yes, there are times when I get depressed about grades, but when I tell this to my parents, they tell me to just try harder next time. Think of it as motivation to do better next time. Plus my dad loves to tell me this quote:

Not failure, but low ambition is a crime.

This way, if you try your hardest, then what you get is what you get. No need in getting depressed over it. Just use this as motivation, and you will do better next time. I wish you well.

Depression resulting from grades is something in your control to fix. But, in general, everyone deals with depression at some point in their life and you just have to stick to your friends and pick yourself up...making you stronger. I don't think people with mild or temporary depression need a doctors help unless its chronic/severe. Just my opinion though.

Keh. I'm in a similar situation.

4 hours, 27 minutes, and 32 seconds until "One and Half Hour Drive of Hell (from school to home)" starring me and one of my parents.

Moral of the movie: Improve my study habits.

Update: Okay guys maybe using the word "depressed" was a little much, I meant more like down. Anyways, I feel much better now so everyone can take a chill pill, including myself.