Anybody else notice a lot of Traditional students are Really Immature???

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
I don't know
Status
Medical Student
It is amazing how much med school is like high school, it is really disheartening to see these "adults" behave this way. Everybody clamoring for popularity, cliquishness, peer pressure. I know 22 year olds are still basically kids, but you wouldn't think it would be like this.

OP
EMDO2018

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
I don't know
Status
Medical Student
what exactly do these kids do? hanging out in cliques? that doesn't sound immature. that sounds like normal human behavior.
They do what everyone else does because of peer pressure, or to be popular. You would think eventually people would get to the point where they didn't give a damn about being popular, but guess not.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Not at my school. My students are wonderful.

It is amazing how much med school is like high school, it is really disheartening to see these "adults" behave this way. Everybody clamoring for popularity, cliquishness, peer pressure. I know 22 year olds are still basically kids, but you wouldn't think it would be like this.

Reactions: IL Pre Med

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The youthful/drunken/silly exuberance of the normies during 1st & 2nd year are not worth worrying about. That's just what people are like in their early 20's.

Wait for 3rd year, when you find out what your classmates are REALLY like. Some will make you proud. Unfortunately some will not.

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
The youthful/drunken/silly exuberance of the normies during 1st & 2nd year are not worth worrying about. That's just what people are like in their early 20's.

Wait for 3rd year, when you find out what your classmates are REALLY like. Some will make you proud. Unfortunately some will not.
normies....:laugh:.

I agree though. The superior social skill and wisdom of nontrads is largely a myth. That we propagate for obvious reasons.

Some individuals be cool and sh!t. some...not so much. Pretty much from baby to old person. Same variation.

I was in a small tight clique. And I like it that way. Always have.

kthxbai

Really bad eggs
Nov 9, 2013
In my tea garden
Status
Medical Student
They do what everyone else does because of peer pressure, or to be popular. You would think eventually people would get to the point where they didn't give a damn about being popular, but guess not.
And starting this post is surely a sign of maturity?

Because as far as maturity goes, it does include letting others be - for better or for worst.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
Many 70+ year olds behave this way too. Just try to find people you get along with.
Seriously. My parents live in a retirement community, and there are some mean old biddies in the group. My 70-year-old mom was telling me this story about how some of these crones were ostracizing this other lady they used to be friends with, and I was like, "What is this, high school???" But on the bright side, OP, if you're a guy, cheer up. Assuming you end up in one of these retirement communities some day, the competition for your attention is bound to be fierce. The crones way outnumber the old dudes.

Oct 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I stopped giving a crap about what others thought in undergrad. Did you guys ever hang with the typical pre-med people? I strayed far away...not to say that I'm better but I'm no gunner that's all

ridethecliche

Meep Meep Meep
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tied to a library chair
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I stopped giving a crap about what others thought in undergrad. Did you guys ever hang with the typical pre-med people? I strayed far away...not to say that I'm better but I'm no gunner that's all
I often find that those that claim to be so far removed from the problem are often closer to the source than they will ever admit.

Reactions: kthxbai
Jun 9, 2014
New England
Status
Pre-Medical
Our current post-bacc group has a lot of freshly minted college grads. While they are slightly less annoying than your run of the mill college pre-meds, most of them haven't held jobs or had the transformative life experiences that occur post-grad. While I don't look down on them for this, I do find it hard to relate. I constantly hear "oh I could never work and take classes, it'd be so hard!" Yes, it is hard, but when you don't have financial support for your education, you can forgo your social life for 3 months and make it happen.

Promethean

Syncretist
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2014
Western PA
Status
Medical Student
I did notice at an interview that the other applicants seemed so gosh darn young. Like I had trouble believing some of them were high school seniors, let alone college seniors. For those of us well on the way to being AARP seniors, it was a bit disconcerting.

But I was just marveling at their youth, not their immaturity.

jl lin

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2009
Here's my position on the topic:

"What are you going to do? Now, what's for lunch?" :)

ridethecliche

Meep Meep Meep
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tied to a library chair
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Our current post-bacc group has a lot of freshly minted college grads. While they are slightly less annoying than your run of the mill college pre-meds, most of them haven't held jobs or had the transformative life experiences that occur post-grad. While I don't look down on them for this, I do find it hard to relate. I constantly hear "oh I could never work and take classes, it'd be so hard!" Yes, it is hard, but when you don't have financial support for your education, you can forgo your social life for 3 months and make it happen.
I think this is where age and experience play a key role, i.e. realizing that you're capable of more than you thought. When you stop complaining and whining and learn to roll with things you can get a lot more done. I'm still learning to get the ball moving swiftly everytime, but I'm much better at 25 than 21.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
I had a patient and his wife tell me last night that I looked too young to be a doctor. Of course, they were both about twice my age. Only in Florida does someone who's about to turn forty "look too young to be a doctor." :D

Here's my position on the topic:

"What are you going to do? Now, what's for lunch?" :)
Breakfast for some of us. ;)

I'm thinking oatmeal even though what I really want is IHOP pancakes, cause I don't feel like driving over there to get them. Used to be able to walk to the IHOP during residency. Sigh.

What're you having?

Reactions: ridethecliche
Oct 4, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Haha yes I have noticed this, there are some amazingly young people at interviews, it is good they know what they want but I'm just impressed by those who have never had jobs and the like. How and why??

Oct 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Haha yes I have noticed this, there are some amazingly young people at interviews, it is good they know what they want but I'm just impressed by those who have never had jobs and the like. How and why??
Definitely cool to see younger med applicants that know for sure medicine is for them. The ones I don't like seeing are some of my friends that I had in undergrad who were forced by their parents to choose this profession.

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
More important than the question of mature or not mature is the maturation of what? Most people are not at all like fine wines. Whether or not the context of that process is within this career or not is irrelevant. It only seems relevant because it takes so much focus and energy and competition to make it into medical school.

The competition forces introspection and comparison of your self to others. If your conclusion pertains to the lacking of others, then that is your process of maturation at this point in time.

Don't get me wrong. I've indulged many sour mind states myself. But the bar tender and the drinker was always me.

Reactions: Silent Cool

Prncssbuttercup

Established Member -- Family Medicine Resident
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2010
Where ever I am, I wish I was in Versailles
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Gen Y... that's how they are... 'what do you mean I am not the center of the universe and my opinion doesn't make you change your mind'...

primadonna22274

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2005
The Sunny South but homesick for the Best Coast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a patient and his wife tell me last night that I looked too young to be a doctor. Of course, they were both about twice my age. Only in Florida does someone who's about to turn forty "look too young to be a doctor." :D ?
I've gotten that a couple times too Q and I AM forty! I even told one guy who was a little too flirty and smiled. He didn't believe me ️ gotta thank my mom again for those good genes

Reactions: jl lin

jl lin

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2009
I had a patient and his wife tell me last night that I looked too young to be a doctor. Of course, they were both about twice my age. Only in Florida does someone who's about to turn forty "look too young to be a doctor." :D

Breakfast for some of us. ;)

I'm thinking oatmeal even though what I really want is IHOP pancakes, cause I don't feel like driving over there to get them. Used to be able to walk to the IHOP during residency. Sigh.

What're you having?

Actually I had a chicken cutlet salad and soup. Thanks for asking. :) But you know, who doesn't love breakfast for lunch, dinner or even a midnight snack? Are Americans pretty much the only ones going to diners at midnight and ordering breakfast? Sometimes it just fun to have breakfast for dinner. Best place for pancakes, IMHO, is a great B&B on the Penobscot Bay in Maine. They love their blueberry pancakes. Not the goopy stuff on top. Fresh berries right in the batter. And wow, they are also know for their popovers.
Oatmeal is a good bet; but it can get boring after a while.

My whole life, people didn't get my age. Being a late bloomer was a plague to me in high school. As a kid, you don't think about the long-term benefits of looking younger. You just think, "Wow. When will my boobs come?" LOL
All I can say is that I hope looking younger than my age will continue, but eventually, I guess it will catch up with me.
Forty is an awesome age. Embrace it. :)

Reactions: primadonna22274
OP
EMDO2018

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
I don't know
Status
Medical Student
Definitely cool to see younger med applicants that know for sure medicine is for them. The ones I don't like seeing are some of my friends that I had in undergrad who were forced by their parents to choose this profession.

brainnurse

Inquisitor, Assassin, High Summoner
2+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2014
Florida
premedbrainnurse.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
More important than the question of mature or not mature is the maturation of what? Most people are not at all like fine wines. Whether or not the context of that process is within this career or not is irrelevant. It only seems relevant because it takes so much focus and energy and competition to make it into medical school.

The competition forces introspection and comparison of your self to others. If your conclusion pertains to the lacking of others, then that is your process of maturation at this point in time.

Don't get me wrong. I've indulged many sour mind states myself. But the bar tender and the drinker was always me.
I've been coming back to this thread for some much needed trollolols lately, but I couldn't keep reading after that line. It made me laugh like an idiot. I'm sorry, I'm sure you weren't trying to be funny, but I imagined one of our stern attendings saying it with the straightest face on earth and.. bam! I don't know if it's because of the long, ridiculous shift I just got done with or that I really am just that immature. Thank you, sir, for the much needed giggle.

wholeheartedly

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2009
Beyond the Wall
OP
EMDO2018

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
I don't know
Status
Medical Student
Well, I was gonna retract my stament and say they weren't immature, but it's definitely like im back in HS or freshman year of college with all the drama and drinking.

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
What's not great about having energy to burn. About getting off work or school and going to get lit and getting at whatever piece of poontang that falls your way. And then someone else the next time the next opportunity comes. Because why the [email protected] not?

There will always be time to whither and get old and become dour at the sight of youth.

Reactions: Pons Asinorum
Oct 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'm not in med school yet, but going to undergrad in my 30's, I did notice that a lot of the kids were a bit immature when it came to relationships and such. However, most of them were surprisingly focused when it came to the actual coursework. I have to commend them for that. In my early twenties, I was a hot mess and no where near ready for this path.

LigamentumFlavaFlav

2+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I'm in a program with a bunch of traditional students and non-trads. I've had zero problems with the maturity level. Maybe you're doing something to trigger this reaction to you?

jl lin

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2009
Or it could just be the particular group. Sometimes w/ group dynamics, well more than sometimes, there is/are a person/s that tend to hold the most influence, and others then follow suit. If that influence lacks in insight and maturity and a general sound caring for others, well, others may just follow that.

In general, I have some serious concerns about Gen Y/Millennials.
But it could just be the particular group. It certainly doesn't apply to everyone.

Having said that, in general, there does seem to be some kind of strange, empathetic disconnect sometimes--and it can seem to go beyond that common but hopefully temporary, youthful attitude where the person thinks everything revolves around them. Also, awareness of this also seems to be thwarted, and it's probably b/c most in this gen. group haven't had to face serious large scale, life/death issues in the same way as those that grew up during say, The Great Depression or those that were growing up near theVietnam era had to. Sadly, I'm wondering, as the world has more than it's share of serious issues and the economy is relatively weak in comparison, that many millennials will have to grow up REAL fast at some point in the not-so-distant future. Some will make it. Others won't.

But my attitude in general with this kind of thing in RL is still, "Yea, I may see how you are; but you can't shake me. What's for lunch? " At the same time, I still try to reach out to all people; b/c that is just what I believe. So, instead of standing back and judging, lead by example, and reach out to them. If they pull back, smile, move forward, and continue to be cordial and don't ignore them necessarily if they need help. Some may take advantage, but others may actually grow. Can't change what others do. You can only strive to give good influence, and then go on with your life.