Anybody else plagued by self-doubt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bashir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I know a lot of you are confident that you'll make great doctors someday. That's great and I'm happy for you, but this thread isn't for you.

I want to be a doctor, and I know I'm smart enough to be a good one, but I think I have a lot of character flaws that would need to improve in order for me to be a good physician. For example, I currently consider myself deficient in the following traits: responsibility, self-confidence, dedication/perseverence, and authoritativeness. I'm sure there are others (like ability to function on no sleep), but those are some qualities that come to mind as being important for this career, but which I unfortunately possess in insufficient quantities. :oops:

I guess my question to those with similar doubts about whether they have the "character" to be a good doctor is this: do you think it's foolish to think that the path to becoming a doctor (med school application process, med school, residency) can help a person develop these qualities? That is my hope, but sometimes I think "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING? I AM NOT CUT OUT FOR THIS!" Is anyone else in the same boat, thinking/hoping/praying that becoming a doctor will help them develop these admirable traits? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I can relate although I'm still worrying about the MCAT. Anyway yeah I actually did a self-reflection and found I lack a certain traits that really every doctor should have. I was actually hoping that the last two years of undergrad and maybe a year off would help develop them and just being more social in general.

The fact that you are doubting yourself shows that you have a good conscience. To me, it seems that you have really high standards for yourself as a future doctor. Even though you may have doubts of meeting these standards, you are definitely thinking like a good doctor should.

Being honest and self-critical is good. Hope u will decide to become a doctor and become the person you aspire to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
health proffesionals come in all shapes and sizes. There isn't one special formula. Instead of focusing on what you don't have, you should focus on what you have and how you can exploit your best attributes to become the best physician you can be.

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is I hope you don't express such self-doubt on your application or future interviews. And the only way to ensure that you're not going to come across as self-doubting is by believing in yourself, as you should.

Ok guys, I know a lot of you are confident that you'll make great doctors someday. That's great and I'm happy for you, but this thread isn't for you.

I want to be a doctor, and I know I'm smart enough to be a good one, but I think I have a lot of character flaws that would need to improve in order for me to be a good physician. For example, I currently consider myself deficient in the following traits: responsibility, self-confidence, dedication/perseverence, and authoritativeness. I'm sure there are others (like ability to function on no sleep), but those are some qualities that come to mind as being important for this career, but which I unfortunately possess in insufficient quantities. :oops:

I guess my question to those with similar doubts about whether they have the "character" to be a good doctor is this: do you think it's foolish to think that the path to becoming a doctor (med school application process, med school, residency) can help a person develop these qualities? That is my hope, but sometimes I think "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING? I AM NOT CUT OUT FOR THIS!" Is anyone else in the same boat, thinking/hoping/praying that becoming a doctor will help them develop these admirable traits? What do you guys think?
Yo man... irresponsibility isn't bad. I'm as irresponsible as they come. But you gotta get your self-confidence up. Because the only way it can be done, is if you believe you can do it. It's like that picture of the cat that looks in the mirror and sees a lion, that's how you gotta be. So just work on reinforcing your positive qualities, and listen to lil wayne. Dude has the confidence of a giant.

I think the whole pre-med/application process inherently creates self-doubt. We are constantly comparing ourselves to others to figure out what schools to apply to or even if we should apply at all. We seem to forget that no one is a perfect applicant, with with all those characteristics plus perfect scores.

I think the whole pre-med/application process inherently creates self-doubt. We are constantly comparing ourselves to others to figure out what schools to apply to or even if we should apply at all. We seem to forget that no one is a perfect applicant, with with all those characteristics plus perfect scores.

I so agree! The application process this summer has, sort of ironically, been a real downer for me at times. I mean, writing all these essays about how wonderful I would be at such-and-such a school, what I would "uniquely bring to the community" at this school or that, or even just about how certain I am of medicine... I guess just saying it so many times, I start to wonder if these traits in me really are that strong or consistent, or whether I really am as certain as I think.

Maybe it's my writing style. I tend to be a bit dramatic--not that I overstate, or don't write honestly, but I do write pretty confidently.

Not that I'm doubting my ability to succeed here, or becoming less certain that medicine is where I belong ... it's just all these essays, they sort of weird me out sometimes.

Anyone else? Or do I just think too much? Am I crazy?

I so agree! The application process this summer has, sort of ironically, been a real downer for me at times. I mean, writing all these essays about how wonderful I would be at such-and-such a school, what I would "uniquely bring to the community" at this school or that, or even just about how certain I am of medicine... I guess just saying it so many times, I start to wonder if these traits in me really are that strong or consistent, or whether I really am as certain as I think.

Maybe it's my writing style. I tend to be a bit dramatic--not that I overstate, or don't write honestly, but I do write pretty confidently.

Not that I'm doubting my ability to succeed here, or becoming less certain that medicine is where I belong ... it's just all these essays, they sort of weird me out sometimes.

Naah it's normal. I thought the same thing. Especially after coming to SDN. And then once you start interviewing, you will meet a bunch of REMARKABLE people from big name schools with outrageous stats and ECs that are seemingly much better than yours. One of my classmates is on the US Olympic swimteam for heaven's sake! But try not to worry about that or them, and just do you. Believe in yourself. It can get tough sometimes, and you will often feel less remarkable than you actually are. But try not to look at yourself through the eyes of adcoms or sdn, instead, try an look at yourself through the eyes of your loved ones. As they will most likely think you are the greatest thing on Earth.

Agreed with flaahless. There's a guy here at UAMS who had a 3.5/37 and only got in here, his state school. He applied pretty wisely, too. Stats ain't everything or I sure as **** wouldn't be in med school right now.

You are far from crazy... I feel much the same way... but as pre-meds (and future doctors), we hold ourselves to a higher standard than most - in so many ways... but at the end of the day, we're human... just like the garbage men or our stoner friends who never finished high school... few people in this world are THAT smart or THAT great, and even those people have major flaws of their own.

The fact you've chosen to self-reflect and question yourself... and have the courage to admit it to all as you have here... makes you pretty awesome in my book.

Last edited:
You are a not a finished package yet - you will be molded and shaped in medical school and residency. The person you are now won't be the person ten years from now.

Regardless, everyone has flaws and yours not uncommon, even in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Self doubt and lack of confidence are things that we all go through from time to time. Of course, everyone is different, and that self doubt might be large enough in some people to dissuade them from doing something they want to do. That being said, nobody is perfect, sure there are things that a doctor *should* have that I don't have, or that I could have more of. But that's not the whole story. You mentioned that you are smart enough to be a good doctor. Not everyone is, and if you like the field enough, and if you are in it for the right reasons, you'll be able to lean on your stronger traits to compensate for some of what you lack. Who knows? The introspection to which you are subjecting yourself right now might lead you to seek some changes in yourself and your approach to life that may make you realize that, after all, you did indeed have what it took. It's a very personal thing, what you are asking. But my advice is to kepp on truckin' and just get 'er done! You are miles ahead of some of your peers: you are already evaluating your decisions based on what would be best for your patients instead of because of external pressures. I hope this helps, but take this for what it is... after all, I am also still a pre-med!

I definitely doubt myself a lot...I struggle with self confidence, I wonder if I'm going to be outgoing enough, I worry about making mistakes in diagnosis and treatment. I think everyone has these worries and I think it can in a lot of ways be a good sign- you obviously care about being a good doctor.

cat_lion_perception.jpg

You guys offered a lot of really good (and strikingly supportive) advice. Thank you. It helps to know I'm not alone in being unsure of myself in this process. You know what they say, "fake it till you make it." (I know it's corny, but it's a good motto for me right now.)

Actually, I think it's a perfect motto for most - if not all - of us.

You guys offered a lot of really good (and strikingly supportive) advice. Thank you. It helps to know I'm not alone in being unsure of myself in this process. You know what they say, "fake it till you make it." (I know it's corny, but it's a good motto for me right now.)

The fact that you are doubting yourself shows that you have a good conscience. To me, it seems that you have really high standards for yourself as a future doctor. Even though you may have doubts of meeting these standards, you are definitely thinking like a good doctor should.

Being honest and self-critical is good. Hope u will decide to become a doctor and become the person you aspire to be.

i agree with this. you know bashir, the fact that you started this thread makes me respect you immensely. self-reflection is so important, it makes you a better person and it makes you much better at what you do. the only thing is, if you feel that you have a weakness in a certain area (like a character trait or something), it's not enough to just worry about it. work on it! don't let anyone tell you it's not a problem. if you think it's a problem, that's all that matters. i'm so impressed by your post bashir!

The title of this thread made me chuckle out loud, because I've been there so many times lately
: ) No one is perfect, and I don't think doctors are any more stoic than other people.

This is a great thread, if only because it shows people that they are not alone in a little bubble of angst.