Purveyor of short posts.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
a stone's throw away from reality
www.google.com
Status
Attending Physician
okay, with the mcat fast approaching, i was wondering if other people were cutting down on their responsibilities like volunteering. i'm thinking about taking a month leave of absence from the er, and i feel guilty about it.

anybody else in the same boat? i feel that i'll be using my time more efficiently if i study for four hours on a friday night rather than standing around like a useless lump in the er. i called the volunteer manager twice in the past two weeks, and i've gotten no response.

please advise! :confused:

About the Ads

dr1day

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
North Carolina
Status
Medical Student
Definitely. In January I told my volunteer coordinator that he wouldn't see me again until April 18. He called me last Monday to come because a lot of the volunteers are college students and they were on spring break last week so they didn't have enough interpreters, but I said no. It's too close to the test. I've cut out everything except work and I've cut salsa dancing (which I love and do at least once, sometimes twice a week) down to every other week.

stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
NY
Status
Medical Student
I work as a personal trainer and I was working out of a gym and also doing private clients. I finally ditched the gym because I was working there 7am-9am and 6pm-8pm with school in between. So I ditched the gym and only do private training now.

chicagomel said:
okay, with the mcat fast approaching, i was wondering if other people were cutting down on their responsibilities like volunteering. i'm thinking about taking a month leave of absence from the er, and i feel guilty about it.

anybody else in the same boat? i feel that i'll be using my time more efficiently if i study for four hours on a friday night rather than standing around like a useless lump in the er. i called the volunteer manager twice in the past two weeks, and i've gotten no response.

please advise! :confused:

Reimat

Friend of talking skulls
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
East Coast
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I gave up running track this season- which makes me really sad, since I've done outdoor track since 8th grade. It was one of the hardest activities I've ever given up. Thanks MCAT

nishi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
I gave up American Idol
man i love that show

Overeducated

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Southern California
Status
Medical Student
i gave up commercials (and live tv)... since my mcat classes conflict with evening tv shows, i started recording everything on my computer. It's much more efficient--cuts hour long shows into 40 min shows... of course i could just get TIVO, but that wouldn't be as geeky.

Tinker Creek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
Overeducated said:
i gave up commercials (and live tv)... since my mcat classes conflict with evening tv shows, i started recording everything on my computer. It's much more efficient--cuts hour long shows into 40 min shows... of course i could just get TIVO, but that wouldn't be as geeky.
oh my god, that's geeky :)

babyeva08

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Status
i gave up... a life. ever wonder "what does leisure time feel like?"

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
dr1day said:
Definitely. In January I told my volunteer coordinator that he wouldn't see me again until April 18. He called me last Monday to come because a lot of the volunteers are college students and they were on spring break last week so they didn't have enough interpreters, but I said no. It's too close to the test. I've cut out everything except work and I've cut salsa dancing (which I love and do at least once, sometimes twice a week) down to every other week.
That's exactly what I did pretty much =)

Except for the whole salsa dancing thing

OP
medicomel

medicomel

Purveyor of short posts.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
a stone's throw away from reality
www.google.com
Status
Attending Physician
i gave up dating.
my phone is turned on only to check messages.
i keep in touch only via email and text messaging.
i've been eating frozen meals since November!
i watch tv only when i'm doing something else, like paying bills, eating, or picking up around the apartment.

i'm so used to it, though! i think that's the sad thing. :oops:

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
i think those of you have cut everything out of your life really need to have some more fun in your life. I mean, yes, the MCAT is a big test, but if your mind is all about the MCAT, then you're going to get burned out a week before the exam, not the best time for a burn out. that's just my own personal belief, but hey, you guys do whatever you want. Personally, i haven't cut back completely on my activities. Yes, i dont go to shows or concerts so often, and i had to cut back on how many days i skate or run, but i haven't cut it out completely. i can't, i'd go crazy. but good luck anyway.

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
3 weeks before the mcat i got a bunch of subs to cover for me at work (i'm a pilates teacher), but i did work the week OF the exam. i was pretty much done studying and i needed to keep busy to keep myself from freaking out. the support i got from everyone was great. do whatever feels right to you...

Pontifex Maximus

Rads-a-palooza
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm actually doing stuff more or around the same pace. Volunteering, working 20 hours a week, working out more now. It'll all be over in a month.

pseudoknot

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2004
Hershey, PA
Status
Attending Physician
Cozmosis said:
I'm actually doing stuff more or around the same pace. Volunteering, working 20 hours a week, working out more now. It'll all be over in a month.
Same here. I've been putting some things off until after the test though; I'd like to start training for a marathon once my study time is freed up.

About the Ads