Anybody get contacted by UF yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amg09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody been contacted by UF yet? I am still waiting on an email by them. My aadsas was mailed on 6/22/12 and I am becoming concerned.

Members don't see this ad.

July 6:

Thank you for submitting your application to the American Association of Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) for the University of Florida College of Dentistry entering class of 2013.

We have received your application and it is currently in the review process. If you plan to retake the DAT exam, please notify us immediately of your plans. Otherwise, we will review your application with the current scores.

You will be able to check on the status of your application by logging into your online AADSAS application at www.adea.org and going to the "Status" section. If you would like to learn more about our application process please visit our website at www.dental.ufl.edu. We will contact you if additional information is required.

I was in the first batch but my last LOR didn't arrive until July 6, and they emailed me shortly after. So maybe that has something to do with it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in first batch and I got an email on the 9th asking me to send my unofficial DAT scores since they hadn't been uploaded yet. They emailed me back today saying my application was updated and ready for review.

I just called and they said my application is under review and that I should have received an email. Weird.

I was in the second batch and received an email today!

I think you only have to pay the $30 when/If they ask for a supplemental app

I did not know that I had to pay the supplementary fees before getting the emails. Should I be worried if I pay for them now. I have only heard back from a few?

Does receiving a supplemental app from UF actually mean they are interested from what they have seen in your primary application? As in, a possible interview may be coming up?

Does receiving a supplemental app from UF actually mean they are interested from what they have seen in your primary application? As in, a possible interview may be coming up?

I think so, because they send it after reviewing your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received UF supplemental application!
Same! So excited. And since I'm obsessive compulsive, I already wrote the essay for the prompt from last year so my supplemental is already submitted. Please please please send me an interview!

Same! So excited. And since I'm obsessive compulsive, I already wrote the essay for the prompt from last year so my supplemental is already submitted. Please please please send me an interview!

I'm excited too! Is there an essay for Part II of the supplemental? I'm finishing Part I.
Are you going to ask your dentist(s) to submit a Dental Observation form?

I'm excited too! Is there an essay for Part II of the supplemental? I'm finishing Part I.
Are you going to ask your dentist(s) to submit a Dental Observation form?
I'm not doing that. It's optional and I don't think it will make much difference and I'm tired of the application process so I'm just going to skip it. Hopefully it will just expedite everything since it'll be one less form for them to look at.

Also yes there's an essay portion for part II of the supplemental.

Did anyone else receive an interview at the same time as the supplementary?
Essay is basically anything about yourself

Did anyone else receive an interview at the same time as the supplementary?
Essay is basically anything about yourself
I doubt many people were given both at the same time. I think your stats are just so far off the charts that nothing you put on your supplemental could make them second guess giving you an interview :p

I doubt many people were given both at the same time. I think your stats are just so far off the charts that nothing you put on your supplemental could make them second guess giving you an interview :p

Thanks. I read in threads from previous years that some people were getting them at the same time and some weren't so I was just curious for this year.

For the essay, do they basically want us to write about stuff not in our AADSAS app?

You should complete the dental observation form. Your competition will submit complete applications, you should too.

"Optional" is only for those who are willing to go the extra mile.

You should complete the dental observation form. Your competition will submit complete applications, you should too.

"Optional" is only for those who are willing to go the extra mile.

What if you already have a strong LOR submitted by a dentist and professor with whom you've done research with? I feel as if the optional forms would sound a bit redundant to the adcoms.

Please correct me though if I'm wrong.

The greatest fallacy on SDN is the idea that adcoms do not want to work and therefore we should not give them more to read.

Think critically about that. Dental applicants are from the top of their classes, we are mostly all competitive and have good stats.

What sets us apart? The amount of effort we put into it. I assure you, when an adcom receives an application with a few lines in the supplemental or missing optional forms they don't say "hey, this person was really nice, now I don't have to read more." They are going to look to the person who put effort in and took the time to do everything possible to stand out from the group.

Submit all forms, fill them out completely. When they ask if there is anything you would like to add tell ten why you are qualified.

Don't get tired of the process yet, it has just begun.

I'm a bit concerned. I was in the first batch and have yet to receive a supplemental. I am a FL resident with 3.8 GPA and AA 20. Any advice?

What if you already have a strong LOR submitted by a dentist and professor with whom you've done research with? I feel as if the optional forms would sound a bit redundant to the adcoms.

I agree and am in the same boat as you. I already have LOR's from the dentist I shadowed and the professor I did research with. To ask them to fill out another form saying essentially the same thing seems redundant. The optional forms are only useful if either you didn't have your research professor write your letter originally or you did more than one research project with another professor or have more than one dentist that knows you well.

I'm a bit concerned. I was in the first batch and have yet to receive a supplemental. I am a FL resident with 3.8 GPA and AA 20. Any advice?

Did you get the email from them that they received your application?
Do you have at least a minimal amount of extracurriculars/shadowing?

And here is the perfect example of my point. You both have similar experiences and are both considering not completing the optional forms. Someone else with experience like both of you have will complete the form. They will have shown more dedication and persistence.

Yes it is redundant, but don't you think there is a reason why they ask? Maybe they put greater importance on their forms than AADSAS.

I agree and am in the same boat as you. I already have LOR's from the dentist I shadowed and the professor I did research with. To ask them to fill out another form saying essentially the same thing seems redundant. The optional forms are only useful if either you didn't have your research professor write your letter originally or you did more than one research project with another professor or have more than one dentist that knows you well.

I have 120 hours of shadowing and over 100 volunteer hours. I did receive an email stating they had received my app on July 6 but nothing since then.

I received an interview based on my AADSAS letters, not their own forms since I got both the supplemental and interview at the same time. IF I had an additional dentist that could fill out the form I would definitely do so.

I have 120 hours of shadowing and over 100 volunteer hours. I did receive an email stating they had received my app on July 6 but nothing since then.

hmm the only thing I can think of is maybe they are giving the supps to high DAT scorers first...I don't know what most people on this thread got on their DAT though.

My addsas was mailed about the same time and last week I received the supplement and invitation to interview all in the same email. Sadly I am out of the country so I had to push my interview date to the end of August. I had no idea schools started interviewing this early!

Do you guys mind sharing what batches you guys were in and what day you got your supplementals and interviews?

I was just invited for an interview. It is scheduled for August 7th. School isnt even over hahaha

I was just invited for an interview. It is scheduled for August 7th. School isnt even over hahaha
Oh jeez. Did they let you pick a day or just assign you a day to come? I have finals on the 9th and 10th. If I get an interview (fingers crossed) I'll just die if it's on either of those days.

Oh jeez. Did they let you pick a day or just assign you a day to come? I have finals on the 9th and 10th. If I get an interview (fingers crossed) I'll just die if it's on either of those days.

They assigned it in the email. I have an orla presentation to give on the 8th. Fortunately, I live in Tallahassee so it won't be a big deal. I think I'll try to reschedule it for Friday, though, since I would rather finish up with school. Oh...and my parents need to ship me my suit. :D

Did you fill out the supplemental before you received the interview? If so, how long after you submitted did the invitation come?

Well congrats on the interview! What time did they send the email? Man you just made me so nervous. My application is definitely far from perfect so maybe they just didn't like what they saw. Tomorrow will be panic mode all day.

To anyone concerned about interview dates, I was originally requested to interview July 31st, but I'm studying abroad through August and I asked to move back my interview date. They were very accommodating and immediately sent me a new date that worked with my schedule. (Just wish I had known interviews started this early! think I would have stayed home...)

Also: I was 2nd batch got the supplement and interview request together 07/19

Well congrats on the interview! What time did they send the email? Man you just made me so nervous. My application is definitely far from perfect so maybe they just didn't like what they saw. Tomorrow will be panic mode all day.

i received the email around 2-3pm. and i submitted my supplemental a couple weeks ago, btw. thanks buddy!! and don't be nervous. i received an interview from Nova and UF, but not one from NYU. Beats me...:confused:

My AADSAS status changed for UF. I think it happened today, though it's dated 7/23 (the day I received AND submitted my supplemental).

Your application has been received and additional information has been requested from you via email. If you plan to retake the DAT exam, you must notify the Admissions Office immediately. Within a week of receiving your application, we will send an email to you letting you know it has arrived. If you have this status and have NOT received an email, please call the Admissions Office.

I assume it's just a very very very late update. Still no interview; crying tears of blood daily.

My AADSAS status changed for UF. I think it happened today, though it's dated 7/23 (the day I received AND submitted my supplemental).

Your application has been received and additional information has been requested from you via email. If you plan to retake the DAT exam, you must notify the Admissions Office immediately. Within a week of receiving your application, we will send an email to you letting you know it has arrived. If you have this status and have NOT received an email, please call the Admissions Office.

I assume it's just a very very very late update. Still no interview; crying tears of blood daily.

Yeah I have that same status, It says "received, waiting for additional information"
Should I call and ask what they mean by that ?

Same here I received an email stating that my app had been received about a month ago but nothing since then. I don't know if I should call and check the status?