Anybody going to University of Detroit Mercy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TODDS2BE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got in. I was wondering if anyone else is going to Detroit Mercy.

Members don't see this ad.

i have an interview schedualed in a couple of weeks but i am thinking of not going to it because ive been accepted to a few other schools.
what can you tell me about the school? the tuition isnt particularly cheap, and i dont know how good the neighborhood is.

sdubz said:
i have an interview schedualed in a couple of weeks but i am thinking of not going to it because ive been accepted to a few other schools.
what can you tell me about the school? the tuition isnt particularly cheap, and i dont know how good the neighborhood is.

I would go to the school.....I really liked the school when I went to it....good patient pool and the school is nice....new one comin in '07

Members don't see this ad :)
TODDS2BE said:

99.99% im going to UDM :) . Also, I applied to one Canadian school U of Sask...if i get admission, then i might go there.

How about u?

isd121 said:
99.99% im going to UDM :) . Also, I applied to one Canadian school U of Sask...if i get admission, then i might go there.

How about u?

I am going to UDM for sure. I have been accepted to few schools, but UDM is closest to Toronto. It would be lot easier to go home and stuff. I really liked the school when I went for my interview. I really liked the clinical facilities.

Where are you from? When did you have your interview?

TODDS2BE said:
I am going to UDM for sure. I have been accepted to few schools, but UDM is closest to Toronto. It would be lot easier to go home and stuff. I really liked the school when I went for my interview. I really liked the clinical facilities.

Where are you from? When did you have your interview?

I really like UDM. :love:
Im from BC and my interview was on 18th Jan...got acceptance letter on 23 jan :luck:

TODDS2BE said:
Im desi too. so there will be two desi in UDM.

wow it sounds like a lot of canadians are going there. i am from calgary myself.

what is the area like? is it in a poorer neighborhood? also, how was the interview for u guys?

thx!

isd121 said:
Im desi too. so there will be two desi in UDM.

How do you know that I am desi too?

sdubz said:
wow it sounds like a lot of canadians are going there. i am from calgary myself.

what is the area like? is it in a poorer neighborhood? also, how was the interview for u guys?

thx!

I live in Michigan and I know a lot about UDM. I didn't go to interview there becasue I got into Michigan. I think UDM is better clinically than Michigan and they have bigger patient pool. If it wasn't for the tuition difference I would choose UDM.. It is a great school and my Dentist graduated from there and has nothing but great things to say about the school. It is in the rough neighborhood but it is very isolated and students live about 15-20 mins away in a nice area. It is a great school and good luck at UDM guys.

TODDS2BE said:
How do you know that I am desi too?
i have the sixth sense...lol
just kidding...from your post on "Any SIKHS out there ???????? " :)

sdubz the interview was very straightforward. It was pretty much a good conversation between us.
I like UDM... it is known for its awesome clinical experience and its new facility. There are some nice places (like Royal-oak) where you can live...you can even live in windsor (canada) if you want. :cool:

isd121 said:
i have the sixth sense...lol
just kidding...from your post on "Any SIKHS out there ???????? " :)

sdubz the interview was very straightforward. It was pretty much a good conversation between us.
I like UDM... it is known for its awesome clinical experience and its new facility. There are some nice places (like Royal-oak) where you can live...you can even live in windsor (canada) if you want. :cool:

I got into UDM too...interviewed on Nov 22 and accepted dec1....might go there depending on what i hear from UofM (interviewed jan 20). I am from Michgan..so narrowed my choices to michigan schools.

It was one of the best interviews I had. It was very laid back and the students were really friendly.

I have been researching about apartments and they are not that bad. A decent one bedroom apartment is $650 and two bedroom is $900. Anyone know about any good areas near UDM?

Members don't see this ad :)
TODDS2BE said:
It was one of the best interviews I had. It was very laid back and the students were really friendly.

I have been researching about apartments and they are not that bad. A decent one bedroom apartment is $650 and two bedroom is $900. Anyone know about any good areas near UDM?
\
hey when was ur interview?
and whom did u interview with:D
and if you dont mind how long after the interview they contacted u
:D
tanx:)

amma777 said:
\

Interviewed on nov 22, with Dr. Grand ( Nice Man), they called with an acceptance on Dec 1

loveteeth said:
Interviewed on nov 22, with Dr. Grand ( Nice Man), they called with an acceptance on Dec 1
tanx I want to know about any one who recently had an interview , by the way its a great dental school , I honestly LOVED the clinic

I got accepted on Dec. 1st. It's a really good school. Everybody that I have ever talked to has good things to say about it. I'm waiting to hear back from UofM though. If I get into UofM I'm going to go there, it's been my number one choice forever. For those of you going to UDM for sure, where are you thinking about living. I was thinking in the Royal Oak area. I've got some family there and it's a pretty nice place to live I guess. Congrats to all you guys that got in. And for those of you with an interview coming up, it's real laid back; just a conversation really. I interviewed with Dr. Abbott and he was a really nice guy.

daughe29 said:
I got accepted on Dec. 1st. It's a really good school. Everybody that I have ever talked to has good things to say about it. I'm waiting to hear back from UofM though. If I get into UofM I'm going to go there, it's been my number one choice forever. For those of you going to UDM for sure, where are you thinking about living. I was thinking in the Royal Oak area. I've got some family there and it's a pretty nice place to live I guess. Congrats to all you guys that got in. And for those of you with an interview coming up, it's real laid back; just a conversation really. I interviewed with Dr. Abbott and he was a really nice guy.

Do u go to MSU??...I just saw that ur location was East lansing..i go to MSU too..when was ur interview at uofm??

amma777 said:
\

I was interviewed in Mid-Jan and I received my acceptance on Feb2 by express post. I did not expect them to contact me that fast.

Yeah, I do go to MSU. It hasn't been too bad so far. My interview was on the 20th at UofM, and I've been keeping my fingers crossed since. Best of luck to you. Hopefully I'll see you in Ann Arbor next year.

daughe29 said:
Yeah, I do go to MSU. It hasn't been too bad so far. My interview was on the 20th at UofM, and I've been keeping my fingers crossed since. Best of luck to you. Hopefully I'll see you in Ann Arbor next year.

Thanks! Same to you..Good luck..
Did u happen to call the admissions office..well..i called today..and she said that they sent an email last week..which i did not get..did u??

Nope, no email here. Did they say what the email was in regards to by any chance.

daughe29 said:
Nope, no email here. Did they say what the email was in regards to by any chance.

No she did not..but ..she said she would resend it to me...but did not get it today either...dunno what to expect :(

I just had an interview with Dr. Berkowsi yesterday - i think it went really really well. It pretty much ended with him telling me he's going to suggest my admittance to the committee. what an awesome school i think. As soon as i get an acceptance i'm sending in my deposit, so i should be seeing ya all there

buchey said:
I just had an interview with Dr. Berkowsi yesterday - i think it went really really well. It pretty much ended with him telling me he's going to suggest my admittance to the committee. what an awesome school i think. As soon as i get an acceptance i'm sending in my deposit, so i should be seeing ya all there
Hey,

I can tell you...you are in :clap:
you will get acceptance soon in mail.
:)

buchey said:

Hello, just so that I can have an idea about the stats they are looking for, could u tell me what ur gpa and DAT score.

Thanks

buchey said:

You are in. Just pack your bags!!!.. They hardly ever reject anyone after an interview.

rambo2006 said:
Hello, just so that I can have an idea about the stats they are looking for, could u tell me what ur gpa and DAT score.

Thanks

suprisingly my grades/DAT really aren't extrordinary - overall GPA 3.32, DAT average 17 first try, 18 2nd try. but i think what really sold my application is the fact that I probably have the strongest trend of increasing grades they have ever seen. I started pretty much C's and B's (mostly C's) freshmen year, B's sophomore, 3.6 fall junior, 3.7 winter junior, and straight 4.0's last semester. I have awesome LOR's including one from an oral surgeon i worked for who, I was a teaching assistant for Gross Anatomy, undergrad research, volunteer work, dentist shadowing and dental lab tour, and a prosthadontist whom is very involved in UDM and the president of a dental committee wrote a segment about me in their montly newsletter, and i think that all comes into play at their school very significantly.
The interview was so relaxed, so calm... we conducted the interview in the clinic in one of the open bays, with students interrupting us to ask the professor questions. we'd go to the patient and talk about the case, he'd show me things going on, and we'd go back and sit down to finish the interview. They sized me up for a lab coat and asked how i want my name spelled on it, he bought me lunch with two other students so i could privatly talk with them - it was a great experience and a great school. I'm definately excited to be going there
he said their class currently has about 25 spots left open for in-state, and about 15 for out of state, and that my GPA/DAT were almost exactly the average for GPA, and slightly under on the DAT (average is 19). Before i left he told me he'd endorse me to the committee, and that i should be hearing from them within a week.

Congrats to everyone who got in! I am a 1st year right now at UDM. It is a really great school - be prepared to be REALLY BUSY your first year . . . we are in the middle of mid-terms right now and you don't have time for anything but studying and sleeping - but it is a good time. You'll spend a lot of time in the sim-lab and in the clinic for essentials of clincial 1st semester and again second semester in perio. instrumentation. enjoy your last 2 months of undergrad and live it up this summer . . . you'll be glad you did. See you in the fall!

UDM or bust said:
Congrats to everyone who got in! I am a 1st year right now at UDM. It is a really great school - be prepared to be REALLY BUSY your first year . . . we are in the middle of mid-terms right now and you don't have time for anything but studying and sleeping - but it is a good time. You'll spend a lot of time in the sim-lab and in the clinic for essentials of clincial 1st semester and again second semester in perio. instrumentation. enjoy your last 2 months of undergrad and live it up this summer . . . you'll be glad you did. See you in the fall!

You have any suggestions for housing? I am from Canada and thinking about living in Windsor and driving everday.

Todds2be@work said:
You have any suggestions for housing? I am from Canada and thinking about living in Windsor and driving everday.

Thats probably not a bad idea... I'm from MI so i'm not sure whats good for you. sucks to have to pay that toll every day though. o well

There are a few canadians in our class that commute everyday and they just have random apartments. As for living in MI, the big places that people live are: Dearborn, Royal Oak/Ferndale, Southfield (I live here - pretty quick commute in the mornings). The key to living around here is find somewhere within 10 miles or so because you aren't going to want to drive home at the end of the day and you are going to have to pay a decent amount of rent/month (my wife and i pay just over $900 but we have a 2 br/2 bath). Just take out all of the loans you can your first year atleast because the last thing you are going to want to be stressing out over is money - for this entire year i have $65,343.00 taken out in loans, just so you have an idea :) it looks intimidating, I KNOW - but most everyone does it! Let me know if you have any other questions.

I had an interview on the 13th of feb. and still haven't heard anything from U of D. The interview went really well and i was even able to observe/assist a couple extractions. I called once about it b/c my interviewer said the admissions comm. meets every two weeks.... and haven't recieved a phone call back. Anyone have any ideas as to why its taking so long to get letters out? I'm so nervous b/c U of D is definitely my FIRST choice!

toothealer12 said:
I had an interview on the 13th of feb. and still haven't heard anything from U of D. The interview went really well and i was even able to observe/assist a couple extractions. I called once about it b/c my interviewer said the admissions comm. meets every two weeks.... and haven't recieved a phone call back. Anyone have any ideas as to why its taking so long to get letters out? I'm so nervous b/c U of D is definitely my FIRST choice!

I'm really glad to hear that i'm not in this boat alone! I had an interview the day after you - the 14th, with Dr. Berkowski. My interview also went really really well - i was there for a good 3 or 4 hours and it ended with Dr Berkowski telling me he'd endorse me to the commitee. I also haven't heard back from the school yet. he told me the same thing about the commitee getting together periodicially. I'm saying i'm glad to hear this is going on with you because that probably just means that they are either behind on admissions, haven't gotten around to us yet or whatever the case. UDM is also on spring break right now, so thats at least a week that nothing is moving. dont worry about it - i'm still confident that everything will go okay for us. at UDM an interview is a very good sign of acceptance.

buchey said:
I'm really glad to hear that i'm not in this boat alone! I had an interview the day after you - the 14th, with Dr. Berkowski. My interview also went really really well - i was there for a good 3 or 4 hours and it ended with Dr Berkowski telling me he'd endorse me to the commitee. I also haven't heard back from the school yet. he told me the same thing about the commitee getting together periodicially. I'm saying i'm glad to hear this is going on with you because that probably just means that they are either behind on admissions, haven't gotten around to us yet or whatever the case. UDM is also on spring break right now, so thats at least a week that nothing is moving. dont worry about it - i'm still confident that everything will go okay for us. at UDM an interview is a very good sign of acceptance.

No kidding! I was looking at the interview feedback and saw that you had interviewed the day after me, and wished i could get in contact with you. Like you said....i'm glad it's not just me they aren't getting back to. There must be something going on... The only thing I could think of....was emailing my interviewer. He gave me his card, and said to email if i had any questions. i think i will do that tomorrow sometime. I will let you know what he says.....if he responds! I'll let you know if i get call or a letter concerning acceptance. Let me know if you do as well! It seems like things are going well for us both....i pray we both get in! :D

TODDS2BE said:

I just got in!! Ms. La Rose-Neil emailed me back and informed me that they decided friday, and that the acceptance letter would be in the mail monday!

toothealer12 said:
I just got in!! Ms. La Rose-Neil emailed me back and informed me that they decided friday, and that the acceptance letter would be in the mail monday!

So you going to UDM for sure? Where you plan on living?

TODDS2BE said:
So you going to UDM for sure? Where you plan on living?

Definitely! I found a really cool apartment place in Novi. I've been looking on the internet and it looked really nice. I haven't actually been there, but plan on looking around really soon. When i was at my interview, one of the students said they always have a barbeque at the end of June/beginning of july...so you can meet everyone. It seems late to get a roomate and living arrangements then, but i'm looking forward to it. Did you find anything yet?

toothealer12 said:

Congrats toot healer! way to go.....

hockeydentist said:
Congrats toot healer! way to go.....
THANKS! You're never gonna let me go on the 'name' thing...are ya? lol.

toothealer12 said:
Definitely! I found a really cool apartment place in Novi. I've been looking on the internet and it looked really nice.

Novi is a pretty nice suburb. Not super busy, but nice area. Mainly a young - urban - professional area.

toothealer12 said:
THANKS! You're never gonna let me go on the 'name' thing...are ya? lol.

nevveeeer!

I'm going to UDM next year too! I'm planning on living in Farmington Hills, which is just a little east of Novi. I'm hoping to find some other students that live near there to possibly commute with. Do any of you Canadian students play hockey? Or any American students for that matter? I see that the school has a coed hockey team that I'm looking forward to playing on.

Beta Blocker said:
I'm going to UDM next year too! I'm planning on living in Farmington Hills, which is just a little east of Novi. I'm hoping to find some other students that live near there to possibly commute with. Do any of you Canadian students play hockey? Or any American students for that matter? I see that the school has a coed hockey team that I'm looking forward to playing on.

Where in farmington hills are you thinking about living? How far is that from the school? I think novi is a little farther from the school than i wanted, ...so i'm still looking.

Anyways, i'm pretty athletic, but never got the opportunity to get involved in hockey. Is the coed hockey team just dental students, or is it all of Detroit Mercy? I'd be interested in finding out if they had any other sports teams.

Farmington Hills is about 20 minutes from school. We're now considering a place in Walled Lake which is 33 minutes from school. I think the hockey team is just for the dental school. I saw it in the dental school news letter that came with my acceptance letter and financial aid info. I don't know about other sports.

Beta Blocker said:
Farmington Hills is about 20 minutes from school. We're now considering a place in Walled Lake which is 33 minutes from school. I think the hockey team is just for the dental school. I saw it in the dental school news letter that came with my acceptance letter and financial aid info. I don't know about other sports.

The place in Novi that I was looking at is actually right on Walled Lake. I googled it, and it's about a 25 min. drive.

I just got my acceptance!.... looks like i'll be joining you all there in the fall!
I live in Sterling Heights, so it looks like i'll be making that 30-40 minute drive as well...
Lookin forward to seeing ya all there!

TODDS2BE said:

The dental school will be moved to UDM main campus (as you may have known), which is at the heart of a ghetto area. Best bet is Royal Oak - which also has one of the nicest malls (Somerset mall), or Southfield (not as nice as Royal Oak but it is okay).

The Musketeer said:
The dental school will be moved to UDM main campus (as you may have known), which is at the heart of a getto area. Best bet is Royal Oak - which also has one of the nicest malls (Somerset mall), or Southfield (not as nice as Royal Oak but it is okay).

I asked about the move during my interview, and my interviewer said that that idea is very far off from being set in stone.

I was told during my interview that the plan to move has already been cancelled. They will stay at this present location till 2008 for sure and the new place is not in ghetto. I heard from a student that they were planning on moving to really good location.