Anybody gone to Afghanistan recently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aberfly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Navy internist and have orders for 8 months in Afghanistan. Anybody have input on what it is like these days?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there Aberfly,

I've got no personal experience, but I was reading this blog quite often when it was active. It's a blog of a Navy FP who was training Afghan medical personnel. You'll want to jump around the blog dates as it begins at the start of deployment and follows "Doc H" to homecoming.
http://dochsia.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.html
best of luck

I'm currently in Afghanistan (Leatherneck). I'm a flight doc and work at the aid station on the flight line. It's a pretty slow clinic but I tried to find other things like reading or flying to occupy my time. Leatherneck is getting more developed as time passes, I'm in a 100 man tent and it's getting freaking hot in there during the day. Chow is pretty good here, I actually think I'm eating more here than back home. They just put up wifi on the camp but it's really slow. If you have specifics, PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aberfly, are you still in the US or have you deployed yet? I got home in Dec 09 from Afghanistan and may have some insight for you depending on your location and billet.

I'm in Afghanistan right now, Flight Surgeon. PM me for questions

Im in afghanistan too...Im Army, but I've seen Navy people set up at Bastion, Leatherneck (which is located at Bastion), and Kandahar. (ive been bouncing all over the place since I got here)

Chow is pretty good here, I actually think I'm eating more here than back home. They just put up wifi on the camp but it's really slow. If you have specifics, PM me.

Of all the places Ive been to so far, Id say Bastion/Leatherneck has the best chow anywhere in theater!

Caverject - I like your ID name.

Of all the places Ive been to so far, Id say Bastion/Leatherneck has the best chow anywhere in theater!

Yeah, can't beat the crab legs and shrimp on Sundays on Leatherneck...although in Manas, it was lobstertail, Air Force always get everything! Dessert on Bastion during dinner time ain't bad either.