Anybody gone to community college delayed thier application to lool more competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i went to community college for 2 years, and ended up with 3.9 GPA. i am finihsing organic and physics at a university. my gpa is high, but my advisor said it's better to just wait one more year and apply after graduation to show 2 years of university courses on transcript to look more competitive.
so with this plan i am taking aug mcat instead of april? but i need advice before it's late.

What would you have done? Is this a mistake? Has anybody done this?>
Is this a waste of one year?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

arminshivazad said:
hi
i went to community college for 2 years, and ended up with 3.9 GPA. i am finihsing organic and physics at a university. my gpa is high, but my advisor said it's better to just wait one more year and apply after graduation to show 2 years of university courses on transcript to look more competitive.
so with this plan i am taking aug mcat instead of april? but i need advice before it's late.

thanks
I think it depends on how well you did where you transferred. If you have a comparable GPA then you are good to go (apply), but I might wait longer if you feel you need more time to boost/maintain your GPA like in community college. Good luck!

arminshivazad said:
hi

thanks

prove you earned that 3.9 GPA with a 35+ on the mcats and med schools shouldn't have a problem with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It also depends on your state of residency as well. Transfer students have it rough if they want to graduate on the four year plan and go right into med school. After transferring (to our school that means adapting to huge classes and the faster quarter system) they need to get letters of rec from professors, maintain a high cum and BCPM gpa, take the April MCAT (possibly before they are done with ochem & any other classes not taken at a CC), and get experiences in a clinical environment, volunteering, and/or research. This is a tough road to travel down and can set you up for failure. I think your advisor gave you good advice. You don't want to have to take the MCAT more than once, and you certainly don't want to have to apply more than once. Thus, you shouldn't apply until you are at your strongest and have the best application possible (including early submission.) Finish all your classes, study for the Aug MCAT, take it if you feel ready (wait until april if you don't), exel in your classes and get to know your professors, gain meaningful experiences, and spend lots of time on your application (and get it in early!)

Also, explore your options for your year off...it could be just earning $$ to afford applications or maybe doing research, going abroad, etc. Good luck!

Did you graduate from a University? I can't tell from the way your post is worded. It almost sounds like you only have an Associate's.

little_late_MD said:
Did you graduate from a University? I can't tell from the way your post is worded. It almost sounds like you only have an Associate's.
Are you kidding or are you just a *****?

i am in my junior year.
my advisor said that even though you did good in CC, but some school don't see CC classes as challenging, and it's better to supplement them with higher level science classes.
The reason i kinda agreed with him, was that i am applying to top private schools as well.
any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

arminshivazad said:
i am in my junior year.
my advisor said that even though you did good in CC, but some school don't see CC classes as challenging, and it's better to supplement them with higher level science classes.
The reason i kinda agreed with him, was that i am applying to top private schools as well.
any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Don't listen to your advisor. Take the April mcat and apply to med school, if you do well on mcat so much for the challenging part of your courses. Tell your advisor to lick balls. many of my junior college friends did two years at CC then went to four year university and applied between their junior and senior years. They applied to med school after their junior year meaning they just had one year of university work under their belt plus of course their CC work. They did well on the mcat and one is at duke and the others are at ucla, harvard, and upenn.

hi
thanks for the reply.
do you know their stats, like GPA and MCAT? Are they on SDN, maybe i could ask them some advice? Harvard,wow.
i feel much better now.
Thanks

Faust said:
Don't listen to your advisor. Take the April mcat and apply to med school, if you do well on mcat so much for the challenging part of your courses. Tell your advisor to lick balls. many of my junior college friends did two years at CC then went to four year university and applied between their junior and senior years. They applied to med school after their junior year meaning they just had one year of university work under their belt plus of course their CC work. They did well on the mcat and one is at duke and the others are at ucla, harvard, and upenn.