anybody have a dog as a pet in the Caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love dogs. I hear there are alot of strays in some of the Caribbean islands, such as Dominica.

Has anyone domesticated a stray dog or adopted a dog from a shelter during their 2 years in Dominica, Saba, Grenada, St. Maarten, etc?

I am interested in hearing from anyone who's been able to have a dog as a pet.

I saw this vid of a couple of AUC students with a terrier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5A6pnJF8A0

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
a few vet students at SGU have dogs and cats. just don't bring a dog that can't handle a hot climate and keep your animal well hydrated and cool. Also your animal might need extra meds against parasites or other bugs. I would suggest talking to your vet before bringing your animal down. also make sure you have proper documentation of your pets immunization records to show the local government.

pets can be fun to have down there but when you're studying 8 hours a day and have 4 hours of lectures every day it's very easy for the pet to start getting in the way and get neglected. So for the dogs prosperity i would recommend against bringing one down just because they will get better care at home, but if you must bring a dog down then there shouldn't be any problems. Of course you'll have to find a place off campus that will alow you to have a dog, no dogs are aloud in the dorms.

Don't fly through Barbados; any problem with paperwork and it's an instant shot to the afterlife.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info.. i guess it just isn't practical to have a dog because it would be hard to care for one...
thanks again..

thanks for the info.. i guess it just isn't practical to have a dog because it would be hard to care for one...
thanks again..

Well I'm planning to bring my dog, and I totally agree that you study 8 hours a day, BUT if you can study well at home (I can) it should not be a problem. It was never a problem for me. When he needs a walk, I definetely could use a stretch as well, so it actualy keeps me sane and healthy!

I am thinking of it too, but only if my bf will be home with the dog all day (like if he works off the internet and not on the island). If he cant, were not bringing her. Its not fair if the dog is home alone all days especially for my 70 lb German shepherd puppy. But, I am used to taking care of her at home and it IS do-able, you just have to organize your time. E.g. I walk her in the morning after she eats then study for a few hours while she naps or amuses herself. Then when I need a break I take her outside to play, and go back to studying.... It does stink sometimes, dont get me wrong, but you get used to it and like someone else said, its nice to get out of the house to clear you mind. I also find it relaxing walkign her and playing with her. She is so full of love and energy that it brings me back down to earth when I am stressed. :love:

Does anyone know how hard/expensive it is to transport a dog? And how hard it is to get a good apt that allows pets but wont overcharge (In St Maarten)?

I travelled always with 2 cats. American Airlines allows you to bring a pet under 12 lbs on board with you for a fee (then $80). Several students travelled with their dogs (large). They were checked in as cargo. I don't know the fees. But the main restriction that I know was seasonal only. They also required food and water with the pet, and no drugging the poor animal.

If you call AA, they will give you their regulations for travel. Has to be certified carriers. If you walk into Petsmart, they will let you know which ones are approved.

To travel, you need proof of vaccinations and a health certificate from your pet.

On St. Maarten, a good vet that does volunteer work at neighboring islands is Dr. Swanston, a local as well. He also supports the local islands' humane societies.

Quarantine is not required returning to the US from N.A.

I travelled always with 2 cats. American Airlines allows you to bring a pet under 12 lbs on board with you for a fee (then $80). Several students travelled with their dogs (large). They were checked in as cargo. I don't know the fees. But the main restriction that I know was seasonal only. They also required food and water with the pet, and no drugging the poor animal.

During what time did you travel? I am afraid they will not let me bring my puppy on board because it will be to hot in August when I fly.

During what time did you travel? I am afraid they will not let me bring my puppy on board because it will be to hot in August when I fly.

If I remember correctly, the summer months were when they could fly.

Call the American Airlines help desk. That is the only way to find out for sure. Regulations may have changed since I lived down there.

I'm also still searching for D.r Swanston's address and phone number for you. It is lost somewhere in the tons of crap in my basement. :laugh:

If I remember correctly, the summer months were when they could fly.

Call the American Airlines help desk. That is the only way to find out for sure. Regulations may have changed since I lived down there.

I'm also still searching for D.r Swanston's address and phone number for you. It is lost somewhere in the tons of crap in my basement. :laugh:

Well, on the AA website they say that if the temperature reaches 85oF or more at any stopover or final destination, they will not accept the pet on board (cargo included). Beginning of August is still very hot in Miami, 85 to 90. :(

I can't seem to find Dr. Swanston's number or address. I'm sure you can find it on Google. His full name is Dr. Garry Swanston (not a typo). I know he also has some workings with the humane societies on St. Maarten and the surrounding islands.

Link to Statia Humane Society:
http://www.seawf.com

St. Maarten Humane Society:
http://www.animal-welfare-sxm.com

Island pups and kittens are the best animals I've every had, totally recommend adopting one! :love: