Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Anybody have a medical condition that sorta inspired them?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by samisab786, Dec 5, 2008.

1. samisab786

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I've been a diabetic for about fourteen years now, which basically means I see an endocrinologist roughly four times a year, my primary care physician roughly once a year, and my ophthalmologist once a year. I actually wasn't too savvy about the medical field till I came into 7th grade, when we learned some very basic anatomy. I loved learning about the endocrine system especially because I always felt some kind of connection to it. Haha. It kept me opening my textbook to keep reading more about the human body. Anyway, I credit diabetes for my interest in the life sciences. I even told myself I'll be an endocrinologist one day, but it's too early to even decide whether if medicine is right for me. I got into a pharmacy program though, but one thing that keeps me indecisive is the fact that I personally never really saw a pharmacist, even though I learned recently that pharmacists do diabetic management. I don't know, I guess the most prominent people I had to refer to was either my nurse or my endocrinologist, so I'm still debating what I want to do. But otherwise, I was wondering, out of curiosity if any of you have a medical condition that inspires your need to work in healthcare.
    :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. samisab786

5+ Year Member

Another thing I kinda realized is that my personal experience kind of pushed me to find a career that sort of relates to me, but I feel like a little bit of cultural norms are pushing me against that. My family comes from a South Asian background, so basically my grandparents and great grandparents are the people who have worked from bottom-to-up. I guess that pressures a lot of the families in my culture to have their kids do a job just for the benefits or the status involved in it. A lot of people in my family are doctors and pharmacists, and people recommend me to go into a field that will pay me well, provide me with security, and blah blah blah, but when I say that I want to have a job that relates to me, I get the idea that people find it a little bizarre since mostly everybody I know got a job just for the status. Anybody else feel that too?

4. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'm the opposite. i hated reading about the pathophysiology of a condition i had and the pharmacokinetics/dynamics of the drugs i were on. it just made it weird. same if it was a condition of a family member or friend.

5. ClickityClack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My condition has definitely helped inspire me. But, all the inspiration in the world isn't gonna help me get a B in Orgo.
    Hell would seem like a vacation right now.

6. chemolupusMD

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i have a third nipple, my personal statement is based around how hard it was my life with polymastia.

7. MadEvans

MadEvans is a warm gun
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Yeah, I'm a type 1 diabetic myself. It has inspired me significantly, perhaps only second to taking care of my great-grandma during the end stages of her life, to desire to become a physician. Having to understand a disease to the extent that is necessary in managing diabetes inevitably has encouraged me to understand other diseases that my friends and family have as well.

Being diagnosed with a disease (as long as it is managable) is a great motivating factor, but it takes a lot more motivation than simply this to become a physician. You'll work with diabetics being a pharmacist as well. I know that whenever I go to get my insulin and other medications, the pharmacists are some of the health professionals I get the most total face time with than anyone else.

I don't really get what you are trying to say about the "status" thing. Why wouldn't anybody want you to go into a field that is personally interesting and important to you? Maybe it's a cultural thing that I just don't understand, but it sounds pretty ridiculous.

8. samisab786

5+ Year Member

Yeah, diabetes isn't the sole reason why I would want to be a physician, but it's what got me interested in the biological sciences.

My parents are cool with my career choice, I think, but culturally speaking, many people in our culture choose careers for job security more than interest. I have a couple of family members who are breaking that barrier though like for example, my cousin switched from being a pre-med to an economics/anthropology major, but it's been kind of rare...fortunately a little less these days. I notice that a lot of my friends choose careers because they kind of feel compelled to do something more for the opportunity provided than for the actual study itself.

9. samisab786

5+ Year Member

I'm having the same motivation issue with general chemistry :(

10. potato head

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    well, i suppose i wanted to be a doctor before this, but i recently resolved a heart problem that has perhaps inspired me to consider cardiology.

11. mdmarty

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had a retinal detachment my freshman year that made me want to go into medicine. I was engineering before that and my ambitions did not really extend beyond finding a nice job in industry. My parents were also skeptical when I told them of my new plans.

12. samisab786

5+ Year Member

Man, I LOVE your avatar haha.

13. samisab786

5+ Year Member

Your parents didn't want you to be a doctor? I think that's the case for me...my parents want me to do something that ultimately makes me happy, but I think they are a little iffy about medicine. They don't say it upfront, but they hint it. I think it's because medicine is a lot of hard work and they're afraid I won't be able to handle it.

By the way guys, it's really nice to hear what everybody has to say. Thanks for the input.

14. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    freakin' awesome!

15. biophysicianai

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    diabetics of the world, unite!

16. MadEvans

MadEvans is a warm gun
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Saving the world, one pinprick at a time.

17. drcarter77

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i had leukemia in middle/early high school. it makes for a solid essay opener as well

18. TheMagicCookie

TheMagicCookie Sexier than Punxsutawney
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I was always interested in medical related things when I was very young(7 or 8 yrs. old)...I remember checking out the Mayo Clinic medical guide at the library on a regular basis(I know, weird, right?). I didn't acutally have the confidence to actually consider a career in medicine until I experienced some rather unique experiences over the last 10 years. It wasn't the injuries themselves that got me interested in pursuing medicine, it was the relationships that I formed with the physicians and nurses during recovery that solidified my decision. I am going to list my "unique" injuries below...my mom swears that I really do have 9 lives(at least started out with 9, there aren't that many now!):laugh:

When I was 8, I ended up in a coma for 2 weeks with a rather grim prognosis. My mom had sent my brother and I with our neighbors to go fishing one morning when her best friend died. Well, unbeknownst to my mom or neighbors, I had been running a fever that morning. I also suffered from febrile seizures as a child(had seizures from high fevers). While my neighbors were putting the worm on my hook(had their backs turned to me). I seizured and fell face first into the lake from the shore. They didn't hear me fall in and turned around about 2 minutes later. Suffice to say, I was unconscious and began to seizure again. Once in the hospital, I had slipped into a coma and doctors told my parents that things didn't look very good. 10 days later, I woke up from my coma asking about a pony(funny thing is that my dad had whispered in my ear that if I woke up he would buy me the pony I always wanted :laugh:). I was supposed to be paralyzed the rest of my life and was thought to have sustained brain injury(we're still not always sure about that lol). I walked out of the hospital 2 weeks later completely healthy after some much appreciated care from the doctors and nurses.

When I was 16, I contracted Necrotizing Fasciitis(flesh eating bacteria) in my right arm. To this day, we aren't sure where I contracted it, but we suspect it was from a small wire I bumped into at a horse show in Michigan. The doctor's told my mom if we had gone to the hospital 12 hours later than we had, that they would have amputated my arm from the shoulder(this is when I was relieved to be left handed!). I went in for surgery where they did a fasciotomy on my forearm(top and bottom) and my hand. Spent about 2 weeks in the hospital for that incident and went through months of rehab to regain use of my fingers and to build up the muscles surrounding the ones that had to be removed surgically. I now have a 9 inch scar on both the top and bottom of my arm and two 3 inch scars side by side on the top of my hand. I am happy to live with the scars since my arm was saved, and am always open to explain to people where they came from.

My 3rd injury came last October where I was kicked in the lower abdomen by a young horse I was working. I ended up in the hospital for a month and underwent 8 surgeries to reverse the damage sustained from the kick. This injury has been the most significant event that has shaped my plans to go into medicine. During my month stay, I was taken care of by an amazing surgical resident who went above and beyond what she had to. The first night that I went in for surgery occured at about 3 am. My mom had gone back to the hotel to sleep and resident called her to tell her about the surgery. While waiting in pre-op, this resident came and sat next to my bed and talked to me for over an hour until my mom arrived. Knowing how incredibly busy surgery residents are, the fact that she stayed with me was amazing. She also checked on me every night regardless of how swamped she was(she would peek her head in and ask how I was). She then talked to me about pursuing medicine and offering to let me shadow her once I had recovered and gave me her cell number in case I ever needed anything. She is now one of my best friends and an amazing mentor. I would be ecstatic if I could develop the same bedside manner and caring nature that she has.

I know this turned into a long post, but the care that I received from all of these events is largely responsible for my desire to pursue medical school.

#17 TheMagicCookie, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  19. Docere

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow I have a lot of respect for all of you for having overcome such personal health issues AND with such a desire to help others.

My question though would be, would your health issues hinder your acceptances into medical schools? Part of my contract with Baylor, for example, is that I have to be in the same physical and mental state as when I first received my Bacc/MD acceptance. I actually have to undergo physical and psychological tests before I'm in Baylor.

20. sglec

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When my mom got pregnant when I was ten...it blew me away. Prior to then I never really thought of where babies come from but when she got pregos with my sister I started having this huge fascination with the human body. Even now I'm still kind of blown away at the fact that a human being can carry another human being for nine months! :rolleyes: Lol I don't know if you consider it a medical condition but just thought id share :D

21. TheMagicCookie

TheMagicCookie Sexier than Punxsutawney
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical

I don't think it would hinder mine unless the ADcoms are afraid of scars lol :laugh: . I just had a run of bad luck in my situation.

22. Rabbit36

Rabbit36 Lagomorphadelic
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I shattered my kidney in an accident some years back. While I was in the ICU (not allowed to eat or drink for 8 days! only TPN) all the attendings were young (~30's) which allowed me to see myself in that position much more easily than if they had been a bunch of white-haired 60-somethings who had long ago forgotten what it was like to be young. I was also just outside the OR and literally minutes away from having my kidney removed when the doctor noticed something inconsistent with the labs, and ended up realizing that it didn't need to be removed, just operated on. That sold me on the importance of good and attentive doctors! Didn't talk about this though. I had too many other things to say that I didn't even think to bring that up.

23. Chemist0157

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I was born club-footed. When I was really little, I wore casts that were supposed to straighten my feet out, but that didn't work so they operated on me. And the surgery worked! I function pretty normally, was able to play basketball in high school and go hiking in Boy Scouts. The only way that it affects me now is by preventing me from skating/skiing (my ankles get tired really quickly).

Anyways, what's so interesting is that while I was considering reasons to go into medicine, my former condition completely slipped me mind. I take it for granted because I don't even think about it unless I'm looking at the scars around my ankles. Back in the day, I would've just had to live with it, but with modern medicine, all's good!

It's not really a tear-jerker condition, but I do like bringing it up during interviews.

24. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was born with a fine motor skills disfunction. It didn't inspire me to be a doctor directly, but it did have a tremendous impact on my personality growing up, before therapy fixed it. Being picked on for years because you walk and talk funny tends to make you a more independant person.

25. mfrizzo3

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I grew up with an enlarged corpus cavernosum. :thumbup:
    Definitely inspirational . :laugh:

26. EastCoastie87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When I was 12 my step-mom delivered my sister three months early, and she went on to spend those three months in a NICU. That event more than any other inspired me to become a doctor.

27. beachblonde

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It was only a matter of time before the penis jokes started. Sigh.

I definitely admire people who can take something as awful as diabetes and make it into something positive, such as wanting to pursue medicine so they can help other people with the disease. My own experiences as a patient have shaped my view on medicine, for sure, but I'm very fortunate that I'm fairly healthy and have been most of my life. One surgeon in particular sparked my interest in orthopedics/sports medicine, because he was so awesome and always treated me with respect (and not as a silly little girl, as some Dr's are apt to do).

28. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I had chronic migraines until I was about 15. That certainly gave me an inside view of what being a patient is like. I'd definitely say that growing up with a condition like that influence my decision. In fact, I did say that in my PS. :p

29. MadEvans

MadEvans is a warm gun
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I dropped diabetes like it was hot, too. I hope the adcoms see it that way too.

30. coriander2

2+ Year Member

Is anyone on this post in the process of applying? Any success with getting interviews or getting in?

31. Chemist0157

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I have, and I think some of the others have too!

32. dk33

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    in the process of applying, a medical condition is what inspired me to pursue medicine, and its addressed in my PS. Pm me if you are really interested, dont wanna really discuss it on this thread, which is becoming somewhat of a joke.

33. EastCoastie87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  34. coriander2

2+ Year Member

Really? The reason I ask is because I talked about my medical condition in my PS, and I wonder if it could have hurt me...

35. justdoit31

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have had 3 interview invites- declined one because I had emergency surgery last week and the interview should have been today...

but I already got an acceptance to Texas Tech with an amazing scholarship!

FYI- my surgery was not related to my chronic condition so the only repercussions for having surgery was getting incompletes in some of my courses this semester but I will complete them in January

36. Proctodoc

Proctodoc Via backside attack
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This isn't what inspired me to pursue medicine, but this story reinforces why I want medicine and makes me want to begin school now. My boyfriend of over three years is the love of my life. We were living a great life, both working and exploring the city's restaurants and nightlife on the weekends. Suddenly, he started feeling nauseous and anxious sporadically throughout the day. He eventually had these episodes of anxiety and nausea attacks so often he didn't dare to go out in public. Just weeks later, he felt so sick that he took a leave of absence from work and moved back home 1000 miles away as he knew something was wrong. He was diagnosed with cirrhosis. It's now a year and a half later and the docs still don't know the exact cause. They have ruled out alcohol since he hardly drank so he can't blame himself. He is hospitalized more often than he is home, and when he is home, he wonders when he'll feel sick enough to be hospitalized again.

He is a smart guy and could have done anything. He planned to do everything with his life. He even understood how to take care of his community even at his young age. He and his friends would clean out their closets and in the middle of the night, go around the city visiting with homeless individuals and letting them pick out an outfit. How is it fair that someone just 24 years old is lying in his hospital bed wondering if there is an end of this or whether the end is the end? He cannot even get motivated to pursue his career goals fearing he won't have enough time to realize them. I love him so much and I am hurting so bad from watching him suffer. I want so much to heal him and I wish I had the knowledge and ability to help him. He reinforces exactly why I need to be in medicine. There are loved ones out there who need you.

37. messenger634

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I used to know a kid with that condition.

We called him boob cubed.