Anybody have the USMLE step 1 stats. for each school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deuce 007 MD

license to ill
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gone to a few interviews, and have heard conflicting stories. This school and that school claiming to have the highest average step 1 score. Does anybody know what the stats. for each school are, or where I can find this 411. I tried a search and couldn't find a difinitive listing. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not worry too much about the stats for the USMLE. They fluctuate every year. For example, a few years ago everybody from Pittsburgh passed (that is a 100% pass rate), so it would have tied for the highest pass rate in the country.

Most schools have a pass rate near 98% (there are usually one to five people who fail depending on the class size). Reasons for failing will vary, some people may be sick when they take the test, others may have had a death in the family, etc. If you go to an American medical school, then you will pass the USMLE.

If you are accepted to medical school, then it is much more important to select a school based on the city, the parking, the school's teaching methods, the school's support system, the happiness of the students at the school, the financial aid packages that the school offers, etc.

There's an easy answer to that question. The schools flat out Lied to you! The fact of the matter is that no school knows what any other school gets on the USMLE.

For instance, at Penn 30% of the students score over 99th percentile on the boards every year. I would surmise that it is a damn good score, but I have no way of knowing whether or not it is the "highest" out of all med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the only one I've heard so far: Mount Sinai

2002 Average=228
Two-digit score of 99=25% of class

I believe when the schools talk about score "rankings", they are referring to the avg. scores of their students. At interviews, Michigan (I think) claimed their average was 20 pts above the national average. Vanderbilt claimed their scores were at the top or in the top 3 pretty much every year. I don't think any of the schools would lie about this as suggested in an earlier post, although I haven't seen any official "rankings" posted anywhere. Overall I just think it's a statistic most schools steer clear of for various reasons.

copied info from cwru's handout...

Case Western
For 2002, Average 225 (pass mark = 182, national average =216), 141/143 passed first time.

Mount Sinai

2002 Average=228
Two-digit score of 99=25% of class