Anybody hear from LSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brandonbraud

Streaking thru the quad!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed on Dec. 7th and they said they would tell me something Dec. 17th. I called today and she said "accepted," so you can call and ask your status. I had three pre-dec.1st interviews and nothing and now this falls in my lap, I almost pissed myself with childhood giddiness.
Anyway,
anybody from Dec 7th heard anything? Give them a call.

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted too!! and im out of state....prolly won't go there! but great school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed last Friday, they said they'd meet on Monday (yesterday) and determine who's in and who's out. Felt very positive though. I don't want to call and get my status yet. Figure it's best not to annoy anyone. Hopefully I'll get a letter before Xmas. I'm from California, so it's got me just a little nervous.

As of last Friday, they've interviewed 24 people for the 60 available spots.

WOOHOO!! I'm going to LSU, who's with me?
To those familiar with new orleans - where should I live? Uptown/Tulane? Metarie?

I'm definitely joining you my fellow LSU-er. I lived in arkansas for a year actually, in siloam springs by fayetteville. I am planning on living in metarie, but that could change. i also need a room mate. I don't know much about New orleans but I do know mid-town is very nice and very expensive, same with tulane and metarie is on the other side of the city. I can not wait to move back to louisiana, i used to live in lafayette. Anybody else joining us? Tulanegreenwave?? :) It's me, the Texan from the dec.7 interview.

yep, i'm accepted as well. I'm still holding out for baylor, but if i don't get a second round acceptance, I'll see you at LSU!

tulanegreenwave, you seem to be popular. I believe I met you at baylor. I'm the half filipino from arkansas.

yep, i remember. R, right?...who was looking for the DH students? :)

My parents live in Metairie, its a great place to live. There are restaurants everywhere and 2 malls right on Veterans Blvd. The Lake is beautiful and 5 minutes from my house, but what's best is that every place in New Orleans is 20 minutes or less to get to, so you save on gas. Enjoy the city I love it there.

Okay, it's official now. I'm going to LSU class of 2012. w00t! And I get to deal with all the troubles of setting up a living situation from out of state (California) before I get there. At least there aren't any risky neighborhoods in New Orleans .... of wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Katalyst,
No worries man I'm in your same boat. My extended family lives too far away from New Orleans, so I will be looking for a place to live. I'm only driving 6 hours from Houston, though, you will have more of an intense road trip on your hands. You got your letter around Christmas Eve??? That's when I got mine. I would have been too nervous I would not have been able to stand the anticipation, that's why I called. Did you get in anywhere else? I might still get in elsewhere, even in state, but I don't care. Plus, the letter says 30 days. So my deposit's in the mail.
GEAUX TIGERS!

Hey Katalyst,
You got your letter around Christmas Eve??? Did you get in anywhere else?
GEAUX TIGERS!

Got my letter on the 27th actually. I ended cracking under anticipation and called LSU on Friday the 21st, but they had already closed down for Winter break, so I had to wait until Jan 6th or the for the letter to find out. I have no other acceptances, and four rejections of the seven schools to which I applied. Either way LSU was my #1 choice. I think God is keeping me humble and reminding me how much to appreciate the acceptance. It's crazy to think about how different life is gonna be just 1 year from today.

Any other LSU dents c/o 2012, my facebook.

Hello fellow classmates!! I received a call from Dr. Weir today, so one of you out-of-staters made my day by turning down their acceptance. Since I'm from Georgia, I could use some advice on "safe" locations to live that are near-by. Hey Cali Ryan, you in this forum? I was in the Dec. 17 interview group.

GEAUX TIGERS!!

Sweet dude, I'm glad you got in. I felt pretty good about getting in out of 1 of 5 out of state spots. Me and Katalyst are now joined by a 3rd. Awesome! Did Dr. Weir say if you were the 5th out of stater ? As far as living goes, I haven't done much research yet about that, but I'm thinking I'm going to live in Metairie, its slightly west of the dental school, and I hear it is nice and reasonably safer than inside the loop. But I don't know for sure, like I said, I have to do a little more research. Maybe there are nice spots inside the loop, but probably too expensive for me. Send me a PM and we can chat about it.
p.s. Katalyst, sorry I don't have facebook or I'd add you. I have myspace.
p.s.s. TIGERS WILL BE THE NATIONAL CHAMPS!

Congrats on getting in!! urghh..i wish I could go to LSU instead...only if we didn't have to pay out of state tuition....

Hey future classmates! :hello:

As for living, Metairie is probably the best price-wise. But, try to stay really close to the New Orleans border (~ near Bonnebel or Causeway) because traffic can be kinda crazy. It is also convenient with its chain stores and restaurants and shopping centers.

If you want to live closer to the bars, music, and real New Orleans food, living in the uptown university area is nice and not as expensive (~1200 for 2 bedroom) compared to other cities...about 15 minute communte, but def. worth it.

So I guess it depends if you like quiet surburbia or upbeat uptown. Feel free to PM me any questions about the area! I'm a New Orleans native.

Happy 2008! I have a good feeling about this year!

Hey fellow nonresidents. Have any of you researched the possibility of becoming a resident? Some schools, ie-VCU, will not let you. It would save us $12k per year. After looking over the financial info Dr. Weir gave us at the interview, the tuition is still the cheapest I have seen anywhere! :banana:

Hey future classmates! :hello:

As for living, Metairie is probably the best price-wise. But, try to stay really close to the New Orleans border (~ near Bonnebel or Causeway) because traffic can be kinda crazy. It is also convenient with its chain stores and restaurants and shopping centers.

If you want to live closer to the bars, music, and real New Orleans food, living in the uptown university area is nice and not as expensive (~1200 for 2 bedroom) compared to other cities...about 15 minute communte, but def. worth it.

So I guess it depends if you like quiet surburbia or upbeat uptown. Feel free to PM me any questions about the area! I'm a New Orleans native.

Happy 2008! I have a good feeling about this year!

yeah, I agree I'm definitely living in the uptown area. There seems to be a pretty good amount of rentable space around tulane for reasonable prices like you said. See craigslist.

Plus, I wouldnt live in metarie because I'm trying to delay for at least 4 years my inevitable descent into suburbia -IMO, one-of-a-kind boutiques, authentic cajun cooking >>>> strip malls, chili's & applebees.

Craigslist,
Hmmm...amsterdam, what a great idea! Why didn't I think of this? I sold a freaking car on craigslist. And dentaldawg, yea, trust me, I've been trying to figure out how to do it. I lived in Lafayette for 8 years, but this was long ago. I am going to switch all my mail to my grandparents' address and get my vehicle registered in louisiana, along with my voter registration and drivers liscense. Plus I'm going to live there in the summer before I move to new orleans, but I think you have to be there "2" years before they let you be a resident. We'll see, but I'm getting the ball rolling now.

Two years, huh? Still better than other state schools. Do any of you know any current nonresident LSU students? I'd like to find out if anyone has done it, and what it took. Anyone considering student housing?

the dorms are not near the dental school. they're downtown near the med school. :thumbdown:

Dr. Weir made it very clear to me that the only way a non-resident can gain in-state tuition is if the parents move to LA or you marry an LA resident. As an out of stater, I will never gain in-state residency tuition just by living there. Doesn't matter that I worked in Louisiana for two years before applying. Even so, it's ~50G's cheaper than in-state California.

Katalyst,
Hmmm...this I did not know. But it is good to know now. Thanks for the update. Well, my strategy is now officially changed. I will, first day of D school, prowl the dental hygiene halls and find me a nice cajun queen ....and marry her!!! I probably should wear my alligator boots...

:)

Katalyst,
Hmmm...this I did not know. But it is good to know now. Thanks for the update. Well, my strategy is now officially changed. I will, first day of D school, prowl the dental hygiene halls and find me a nice cajun queen ....and marry her!!! I probably should wear my alligator boots...

Marrying a girl will just end up costing more than it would save. It's a lose lose situation. The only reason I can see that someone would want to get married is if they hate doing what they want, when they want, all the time and/or have an insatiable desired to have everything they own cut in half.:D

Katalyst, Brandonbraud, & Dental Dawg,

Hey guys congrats on your acceptances to LSU! I was wondering if you could provide me with some info and advice? I applied to LSU back in September and have heard nothing from them yet and as I am out of state applicant I realize there is no more room. In planning for next year, I was wondering if you guys could share your statistics (you could PM if you don't mind) so I can see how I measure up against some accepted students. Also if you have done any post-bac work, could you share that?

I am a math/physics major with a 3.27 overall GPA and 3.19 GPA. My DAT is:
BIO 19
GC 18
Orgo 21
RC 17
QR 18
TS 19
AA 19

Would any of you suggest retaking the DAT?

Thanks in advance!

Katalyst,

thats funny! I think tulanegreenwave thinks that'll be me, but i'll more than likely be engaged by the time I start school there.

Marrying a girl will just end up costing more than it would save. It's a lose lose situation. The only reason I can see that someone would want to get married is if they hate doing what they want, when they want, all the time and/or have an insatiable desired to have everything they own cut in half.:D

wow, I hear a very cynical bachelor in the tone of your voice. :)

That's a bummer about the residency policy. I had already calculated my fees to be somewhere around 80K after one-year out-of-state. Oh well. Anyone else having issues with getting FAFSA in by Feb. 28? I'm older and don't rely too heavily on my parents anymore. Why we must involve them in our student loans is a mystery. And who files there taxes in February??

Physics guy, my stats are fairly average. DAT's are similar, GPA is avg, and my experience is above avg. I spent some time in the Dom. Rep. doing dent stuff. I know Katalyst spent quite a bit of time doing volunteer dentistry, himself, right? Advice, apply early and keep an open line of communication with Dr. Weir.

One more thing, they require you to have 9hrs of english, so if you're like me you'll need to take an extra course. Though that won't prevent them from accepting you. I'm 26 and taking World Literature this summer, yeah! :sleep:

keep an open line of communication with Dr. Weir.

I think this is very important for admissions to LSU. Dr. Weir is very personable and helpful and keeping an open line with him, I feel, helped my case for admissions greatly.

I also volunteered overseas on a medical/dental mission, so that may be looked upon really favorably as well.

Physics guy, my stats are fairly average. DAT's are similar, GPA is avg, and my experience is above avg. I spent some time in the Dom. Rep. doing dent stuff. I know Katalyst spent quite a bit of time doing volunteer dentistry, himself, right? Advice, apply early and keep an open line of communication with Dr. Weir.

One more thing, they require you to have 9hrs of english, so if you're like me you'll need to take an extra course. Though that won't prevent them from accepting you. I'm 26 and taking World Literature this summer, yeah! :sleep:

Dental dawg, I appreciate the info! I'm glad you and mentioned that keeping in touch with Dr. Weir was beneficial. I spoke with him a few times before the application and he was extremely nice and helpful. But once I submitted my application I did not contact him. My reason being is that I've read that when you call frequent time schools can easily become annoyed. So maybe this hurt me in this cycle, but I will definetely keep an "open line" with him for the next cycle. Thanks again for the info!

Do any of you know if all 5 out of state spots are filled?

I think this is very important for admissions to LSU. Dr. Weir is very personable and helpful and keeping an open line with him, I feel, helped my case for admissions greatly.

I also volunteered overseas on a medical/dental mission, so that may be looked upon really favorably as well.

rkamsterdam,

Thanks for reiterating the point about keeping in contact with Dr. Weir throughout the application process. I will definetly do it during the next application!

I have no idea if all the out of state spots are filled to be honest. I know I am one, Katalyst is one, and DentalDawg is one. Someone who posted earlier on this thread who got in from Georgia is not attending, so that makes 3 of us to my count. But, three of the people in my interview had never even heard of SDN, I myself did not it existed until my Midwestern interview....and there was a guy from mississippi who interviewed when me and tulanegreenwave did, and I don't know if he got in or not......SO I count 3, but they could be filled....no idea!

Hey fellow non-rez, what are your plans for finding an apt. or house? My current understanding for places to live are Metairie or Kenner. As for where not to live, places where they are still looting and the lower 9th ward. Any one else know of good neighborhoods or apartment complexes?

Hey ya'll! I also recently got accepted to LSU! I can't wait to meet you all :D

About the living situation...I moved to New Orleans 5 months ago for a research job in the health sciences medical center. I was told to live in Metairie mainly because it is fairly safer and you have immediate access to restaurant/fast food chains and a huge strip mall (also Veterans is not far away...Target and the mall are located there). I live in Clearwater Creek Apts on South Clearview Pkwy. They are very nice apartments and you won't go wrong with any of these First Lake apts. Mine however is on the more pricy end and I was told living uptown is cheaper and it's where all the new orleans activity is. Personally I overall like living in Metairie because it's very close to the dental school; it's about a 10 minute drive without much traffic. Hope this helps :) If ya'll have any more questions feel free! I'm on Facebook and Myspace.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=23408432

hey guys whats up! congrats to everybody! so if you're trying to figure out where to live here's my advice (i lived in uptown for almost all of my life):

i wouldn't live in metairie, you will have to deal with horrible traffic and it isn't nearly as cool as living uptown. uptown has so much culture and character that you really shouldn't pass up the chance to live there. there are so many unique restaurants and bars with the best food in the area (plus most of the best mardi gras parades run through uptown). look for a place on the riverside of st. charles, (around magazine if you can find one) or by the riverbend (where st. charles turns into carrolton) but really, you almost cant go wrong. i wouldn't worry about safety too much. most of the people that live uptown are young business profesionals, med students, law students, and college students (broadway st) with some areas being more family oriented (broadmoor). there are a few bad areas but its pretty obvious which ones they are so just stay clear and you really got nothing to worry about. i've never had a problem in the 20 years i've lived there.

bayou st. john is also a cool neighborhood (super convenient during jazz fest) and mid-city has got some shady areas but some cool areas. warehouse district is also worth a look but more pricey.

For all those who applied to/got accepted into LSU:

Is LSU really picky about out-of-state applicants? Because I'm from MS & I'm thinking about applying there for the 2009 cycle. Also, what kind of experience did y'all have with applying, interviews, etc.?

And congratulations to all those who got accepted!!!!!

For all those who applied to/got accepted into LSU:

Is LSU really picky about out-of-state applicants? Because I'm from MS & I'm thinking about applying there for the 2009 cycle. Also, what kind of experience did y'all have with applying, interviews, etc.?

If I remember correctly, LSU accepts exactly 9 MS students / year. So yes, they are picky. Biggest advice is to get active in applying early and asking the dental school what it is they would like to see from you specifically before applying.

So when is someone going to make a facebook group for our class? I just got facebook 2 days ago.

Congratulations to all those who have been accepted to LSU for next year. I am the Class Pres for the D1 class right now, and am more than willing to help yall out in any way I can; just message me, or email me at [email protected]. Good luck to those still awaiting the Admissions Committee. Dr. Weir is fantastic, and it does not hurt to stay in constant contact with him.

See yall in August.