bigpinesman

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
28
0
Status
Nothing yet, they met Feb 15th, so we should hear soon, word is early March, but I'm hoping earlier.
 

bigpinesman

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
28
0
Status
Just spoke with the admissions office, they have made their decisions and will be mailing out the letters "in the next few weeks", but have not sent any yet. They will all go out at the same time. Let's hope it's sooner than later.
 

KEH

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
12
0
Arizona
Status
I got an email today for a closer look weekend from UVM. It stated that it is inviting "all accepted applicants". I have not heard back from UVM yet, but does this mean I have been accepted...what do you think? Did anyone else get this email?
 

nona1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
128
0
Status
KEH said:
I got an email today for a closer look weekend from UVM. It stated that it is inviting "all accepted applicants". I have not heard back from UVM yet, but does this mean I have been accepted...what do you think? Did anyone else get this email?

Congrats! Sounds like you were accepted. :thumbup:

Can I ask: Are you an in-state or out of state resident? When did you interview? How do your stats compare to their averages? Thanks.
 

KEH

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
12
0
Arizona
Status
I hope that means I was accepted. I'm trying not to get too excited yet though. I am in-state (which is a great advantage) and interviewed January 27th. My GPAs ok (3.61) but my MCAT wasn't the best. However, I had a lot of ECs and good leadership/work experience.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If I don't hear by this weekend, I am not sure I can make it! Anyone think they'd tell me if I was accepted if I called and asked?
 

kc123

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
178
0
Visit site
Status
KEH said:
I hope that means I was accepted. I'm trying not to get too excited yet though. I am in-state (which is a great advantage) and interviewed January 27th. My GPAs ok (3.61) but my MCAT wasn't the best. However, I had a lot of ECs and good leadership/work experience.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If I don't hear by this weekend, I am not sure I can make it! Anyone think they'd tell me if I was accepted if I called and asked?
Congratulations! Who did you interview? Anybody else get a similar email? I am still waiting anxiously to hear from UVM!
 

bigpinesman

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
28
0
Status
Didn't get any emails from UVM, I was told it would be by mail, but I guess since there is no waitlist for in state applicants. They told me they made their decisions, which means you're probably accepted and the rest of us may be on the waitlist. I wouldn't worry about the "closer look" if you want to come that makes no difference, you're already accepted. If you're unsure, you may want to come and check it out again. I'm really getting sick of waiting, anyone else?
 

Blackbear

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
6
0
Status
I recieved the email as well (Maine applicant).
It sounds good, but without an acceptance letter it's hard to tell.
 

bigpinesman

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
28
0
Status
Blackbear said:
I recieved the email as well (Maine applicant).
It sounds good, but without an acceptance letter it's hard to tell.
Did you apply through the Maine Access Program? I would imagine that those 10 people also would not get waitlisted.
 

scrappysurfer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
264
0
39
San Diego, CA
Status
i'm jealous of you guys -i'm waitlisted for md/phd :(

i'm sick of so cal rent and traffic and dying to live in such a beautiful place...
 

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
543
1
49
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
Heck, they told me about five weeks ago that I might still hear about an interview! Though honestly, I doubt it's gonna happen. It's sad, when I started this whole process UVM was my first choice. Guess I'm not Vermont material. :(
 

bigpinesman

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
28
0
Status
Received a waitlist letter from UVM yesterday, I'm an out-of-state applicant who's been living in VT for 5 years. It seems to be nearly impossible to establish in state residency here. But, I was very happy to get the news, I hear most of the class here comes off of the waitlist, hopefully that'll be true this year.
 

kc123

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
178
0
Visit site
Status
Congratulations! Good to hear that the letters are being sent out!! I hope to receive a letter soon. Does anyone know if this year is going to be the same in terms of UVM dividing the wait-list into thirds, and then you can call to determine your status....that is what I read from past years. Congratulations again!
 

Blackbear

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
6
0
Status
Originally Posted by Bigpinesman
Did you apply through the Maine Access Program? I would imagine that those 10 people also would not get waitlisted.
I applied through the Maine Access Program and was interviewed in the fall. However, these adcom decisions are not made until the Feb review so those of us that interviewed early were automatically waitlisted in Dec. I imagine that the top ten candidates have been admitted with several others waitlisted until final commitments have been made in May.

The official word I got regarding the closer look email message was that "We have learned that our email has reached applicants prior to the regular mail. Your acceptance letter is in the mail." Mine came today and I am ecstatic that this application process is finally over.

Best of luck to everyone.
 

nona1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
128
0
Status
Blackbear said:
I

The official word I got regarding the closer look email message was that "We have learned that our email has reached applicants prior to the regular mail. Your acceptance letter is in the mail." Mine came today and I am ecstatic that this application process is finally over.

Best of luck to everyone.
Hey, congrats! I just pm'd you, but you answered some of my questions here. Looks like only those who got the email were accepted outright, and seems as though all of those are in-staters. So do you think you'll go? And when you called did you happen to find out if they've filled their class with 100 acceptances already? Congrats again! :)
 

Blackbear

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
6
0
Status
nona1 said:
Hey, congrats! I just pm'd you, but you answered some of my questions here. Looks like only those who got the email were accepted outright, and seems as though all of those are in-staters
My guess is that the email was sent to admitted Vermonters, Mainers, and a handful of other out-of-staters.

So do you think you'll go? And when you called did you happen to find out if they've filled their class with 100 acceptances already? Congrats again! :)
Yep, I'll be there in August. I don't know what the status of the class is but my suspician is that most of the in-state/Maine applicants have been admitted as well as a small number of other out-of-staters. The word on the street is that virtually everybody else gets waitlisted, so it's rumored that there will be quite a lot of movement in May. I'm really glad to have gotten my first choice and to be finished with the application process. :luck:
 

KEH

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
12
0
Arizona
Status
Congrats Blackbear! I got my letter of acceptance in the mail today as well. What a relief. I also got three "we don't want to interview you, but don't take it personally" letters. But, I didn't care. After reading the acceptance letter from UVM I was thrilled! I'm happy as well that this process is "over". However, I still have schools to hear back from, but they are long shots. I'll be attending UVM in the fall, so I don't care. I can't wait to send my $100s in. Funny, its the only time I'm anxious to give a medical school my money!!

Good luck to everyone else. Keep me posted, everyone.

-K
 

bigpinesman

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
28
0
Status
I was wondering about the Maine access program, can you be in it if you went to high school in Maine, but went out of state for college? Do you have to reside in Maine for one year immediately prior to applying to the program, or will having lived there for one or more years in the past be sufficient?

Thanks
 

Blackbear

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
6
0
Status
bigpinesman said:
I was wondering about the Maine access program, can you be in it if you went to high school in Maine, but went out of state for college?
Yes -- you can attend an undergrad school somewhere else and still be considered a Maine resident. But, once you're finished, you need to be living in Maine in order to apply under the auspices of the program (unless med school directly follows undergrad).

Do you have to reside in Maine for one year immediately prior to applying to the program, or will having lived there for one or more years in the past be sufficient?
If you are not from Maine or have already finished undergrad, then you need to have lived in Maine for one continuous year prior to application. In the past, Mainers working in Boston during their gap year have actually had to move back to Kittery/York in order to reside in Maine but still be close enough to continue working. However, given that we have no public med school and no MD program here, I am very thankful for the program's assistance.

If you have more questions, I can give you a lot more details in a PM.

UVM class of 2009 :luck:
 

nona1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
128
0
Status
Any more Vermont updates? Also, anyone heard of someone on the WL getting accepted before May?
 

kc123

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
178
0
Visit site
Status
I also got waitlisted.....keeping my fingers crossed, and also hoping to find out sooner rather than later! :) Good luck everybody! :luck:
 

wendywellesley

speller extrodinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
1,344
1
the giggle pit
Status
DianaLynne said:
Heck, they told me about five weeks ago that I might still hear about an interview! Though honestly, I doubt it's gonna happen. It's sad, when I started this whole process UVM was my first choice. Guess I'm not Vermont material. :(
that's strange that you got interviews at yale and cornell, and not at UVM. I'm interested in that school for 2006, and my stats aren't as good as yours. is it really hard for out-of-staters to get in?
 

bigpinesman

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
28
0
Status
I'm really interested to hear what your hand-written note said. I don't think that is typical. At this point in the admissions cycle, they have to hold open spots for future Vermont and Maine Access applicants, as these students cannot be placed on the waitlist. It's a simple accept or reject decision. Once they've interviewed all of their in-state and maine access applicants, if they haven't filled the slots they held those will immediately open and people at the top of the waitlist can be put into the slots. I don't think they rank the waitlist people until all interviews are done, but it sounds like in some cases there are people they know they want to accept but just don't have spots for right now, and they may get preferential treatment. I don't think it's harder for an out-of stater to get into UVM than it is private schools, but UVM may be looking for different qualities in people than a Harvard or Hopkins is.
 

nona1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
128
0
Status
bigpinesman said:
I'm really interested to hear what your hand-written note said. I don't think that is typical. At this point in the admissions cycle, they have to hold open spots for future Vermont and Maine Access applicants, as these students cannot be placed on the waitlist.

Do you have any idea how many slots they keep open, and if they are required to fill them all w/those applicants?
 

Blackbear

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
6
0
Status
nona1 said:
Do you have any idea how many slots they keep open, and if they are required to fill them all w/those applicants?
I can speak only for the Maine Access side of things. There are up to 10 slots available and there is no requirement that they be filled. In fact, the 2004 entering class had only 9 of these slots filled out of about 80 applicants. My understanding is that if only two people are fully qualified in a given year, then only two spots will be filled in this manner.
 

scrappysurfer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
264
0
39
San Diego, CA
Status
ahhhhh.

Is there a difference between the waitlist and the "acceptable/alternate" list? I am now waitlisted (?) for both MD and MD/PhD. This being my #2 choice...if I get waitlisted/rejected for my #1 this week too I will be very sad. :(

Is UVM still interviewing? They seem to actually like Cali applicants. I'm from Cali but would give up my Cali MSTP spot in a heartbeat for UVM. Pleaseeee. I don't ever want to sit in traffic on the 405 again. I don't want an $800,000 townhouse. Pleaseee.
 

nona1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
128
0
Status
scrappysurfer said:
ahhhhh.

Is there a difference between the waitlist and the "acceptable/alternate" list? I am now waitlisted (?) for both MD and MD/PhD. This being my #2 choice...if I get waitlisted/rejected for my #1 this week too I will be very sad. :(

Is UVM still interviewing? They seem to actually like Cali applicants. I'm from Cali but would give up my Cali MSTP spot in a heartbeat for UVM. Pleaseeee. I don't ever want to sit in traffic on the 405 again. I don't want an $800,000 townhouse. Pleaseee.

I hear that. The 405 should burn. The lists that you speak of are one and the same. I noticed how much they like So Cal applicants too, I'd love to find out if that was intentional or if we just overrepresent in the pool.

Did your MD waitlist letter have a handwritten note on it? Curious about who all got it and what it really means...?

PS What's your #1 choice?
 

eena

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2003
117
0
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
Status
if you have been on a waiting list at other medical school, what are the strategies that work or seemed helpful in gaining acceptance.

Do you also know what kind of people/experiences UVM is looking for?
 

kelaskov

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
171
9
Status
Medical Student
Hi,
Does anyone know concretely if there is a wait-list for in-state students? I found out a few weeks ago that I was wait-listed at UVM.
Although I am an in-state applicant (vermont) my residency was questioned and I have spent the last few weeks filling out in-state applicant forms, etc.
Yesterday, I found out that I qualified for in-state status.
I stopped by the admissions office and asked them if this would affect my place on the wait-list and they said it did but didn't clarify how. They said the dean would be emailing or writing me and I would hear from him soon.
Does this mean I will be accepted? Does anyone know for-sure that there is no waitlist for in-state students?? Has this happened to anyone else?
-K