Anybody here a Pharmacy Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineNutt

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, ive been a pharm tech for about 3 months...i only took this position because it offered a livable salary @ $13.75/hr. Also, i have found this job helpful to enhancing my knowledge of drugs...i know it will help me with pharmacology and of being a good doctor (when prescribing medication).

I would like to know of any premed (thinking of medical school) that is a pharmacy tech right now...explain to me how generous medical schools are to those who dont work at hospitals--is it favorably/unfavorably looked upon? these are questions that I, a striving 3rd year premed, seek to understand right now...

thanks a lot and hope for a generous year to come...

Members don't see this ad.

I worked as a pharm tech at some point during college. It's a reasonable job, I included it on my application but it never came up on interviews. You should still volunteer/shadow in a hospital though, for sure.

MedicineNutt said:
Ok, ive been a pharm tech for about 3 months...i only took this position because it offered a livable salary @ $13.75/hr. Also, i have found this job helpful to enhancing my knowledge of drugs...i know it will help me with pharmacology and of being a good doctor (when prescribing medication).

I would like to know of any premed (thinking of medical school) that is a pharmacy tech right now...explain to me how generous medical schools are to those who dont work at hospitals--is it favorably/unfavorably looked upon? these are questions that I, a striving 3rd year premed, seek to understand right now...

thanks a lot and hope for a generous year to come...

Pharm Tech but not presently working in that field.

I agree with the previous poster, you should try to get some direct patient contact in. (I am doing that this fall, hopefully). :) Although I don't think being a tech will work against you (me), all aspects of the application being considered.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a pharmacy technician at a hospital
It's pretty good pay and I get hospital experience as well
Do you work at a retail store or a hospital?

tictaq said:
I am a pharmacy technician at a hospital
It's pretty good pay and I get hospital experience as well
Do you work at a retail store or a hospital?

Retail...I wonder how a hospital tech differs from a retail! i'd like to read about the differences

btw, thanks for the posts...im going to still try to get some patient exposure even though ive had some shadowing exp (not particularly with docs...more like nurses lol--long story of why i shadowed them)

How do you become a pharmacy tech? Do you need to take a class or get training, or can you just apply and be trained on the job?

hlchess said:
How do you become a pharmacy tech? Do you need to take a class or get training, or can you just apply and be trained on the job?

You can get training or take a class (usually 6-8 months)...in my case, i was trained on the job--it probably took me 1-2 months to be familiar with everything...I am probably going to take the PTCB (certification board exam for pharmacy tech) when it is offered next time around. I think with the class, they focus to prepare stuents for the PTCB--thats why it takes longer to complete...

MedicineNutt said:
Retail...I wonder how a hospital tech differs from a retail! i'd like to read about the differences

btw, thanks for the posts...im going to still try to get some patient exposure even though ive had some shadowing exp (not particularly with docs...more like nurses lol--long story of why i shadowed them)

You should post this in the pharmacy forum... you're sure to get tons of feedback.

I currently work at a hospital (dialysis unit) and volunteer in the retail pharmacy there. We deal with a lot of doctors and nurses directly instead of people right off the street, deliver meds, compound, IVs, etc. There seem to be a lot more responsibilities at the retail hospital pharmacy than say... Walgreens/CVS/Target.

There are much more opportunities in the hospital than just the retail aspect... tons of little pharmacies that pop up all over the place where they specialize in the meds for that unit. Typically, the pharmacists here go through residency trainings and such after pharm school. For example, the dialysis unit has Renal pharmacists. I'm not too sure what the techs do differently here, but it is much more specialized (and you don't get pts screaming about insurance). I'd MUCH rather be in a specialty pharmacy than retail if spending time as a tech... there is a level of respect there that is absent in retail. I HATE being treated like a fast food worker! :mad:

If you have your tech licence then you are qualified for a variety of hospital pharmacy jobs. I'd suggest getting in there just to experience life in the hospital since you are med school bound.

AND just since you mentioned it hospitals tend to pay at a higher rate ($16-20/hr around here).

Hope this helps! I randomly saw this thread and wanted to give my two cents. Like I said, try the Pharmacy forum and get other people's opinions about the difference.

i.<3.pharmacy said:
You should post this in the pharmacy forum... you're sure to get tons of feedback.

I currently work at a hospital (dialysis unit) and volunteer in the retail pharmacy there. We deal with a lot of doctors and nurses directly instead of people right off the street, deliver meds, compound, IVs, etc. There seem to be a lot more responsibilities at the retail hospital pharmacy than say... Walgreens/CVS/Target.

There are much more opportunities in the hospital than just the retail aspect... tons of little pharmacies that pop up all over the place where they specialize in the meds for that unit. Typically, the pharmacists here go through residency trainings and such after pharm school. For example, the dialysis unit has Renal pharmacists. I'm not too sure what the techs do differently here, but it is much more specialized (and you don't get pts screaming about insurance). I'd MUCH rather be in a specialty pharmacy than retail if spending time as a tech... there is a level of respect there that is absent in retail. I HATE being treated like a fast food worker! :mad:

If you have your tech licence then you are qualified for a variety of hospital pharmacy jobs. I'd suggest getting in there just to experience life in the hospital since you are med school bound.

AND just since you mentioned it hospitals tend to pay at a higher rate ($16-20/hr around here).

Hope this helps! I randomly saw this thread and wanted to give my two cents. Like I said, try the Pharmacy forum and get other people's opinions about the difference.

Incredible post and Incredible Advice...i REALLY appreciate this post and i will see if i can post something in the pharmacy forum...THANKS A LOT and good luck to you sir/madam...very generous post! :)

MedicineNutt said:
Incredible post and Incredible Advice...i REALLY appreciate this post and i will see if i can post something in the pharmacy forum...THANKS A LOT and good luck to you sir/madam...very generous post! :)

You are very welcome! And it is madam by the way.

Good luck to you as well!

yeah a class is deff not necessary to pass the test just get a book and study, if you really wanna know the stuff maybe take a class but the test is easy, well if you study you'll pass. I took it two years ago, I was trained on the job, I don't work as a pharm tech and more though.