anybody here get an A in orgo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tae1703

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
smart ppl raise ur hand. B's are excellent also by the way

Members don't see this ad.

One need not be exceptionally intelligent to get an A in Organic Chemistry... It simply requires a regular, strong effort... Practice problems, staying caught up, dry erase boards (for mechanisms' practice), and confidence will take you a long way... Many people are terrified of Organic Chemistry before they even take it, setting up a potentially destructive mindset going in... Just realize it's another science class, and you enjoy science (otherwise you wouldn't want to go into medicine)... Try to also understand it conceptually-- try to categorize/classify different reactions and understand the mechanism at play, which will allow you to see why things work a certain way and predict other reactions as well as cut down on the memorization... Work hard, and you will be fine!

Ambs said:
One need not be exceptionally intelligent to get an A in Organic Chemistry... It simply requires a regular, strong effort... Practice problems, staying caught up, dry erase boards (for mechanisms' practice), and confidence will take you a long way... Many people are terrified of Organic Chemistry before they even take it, setting up a potentially destructive mindset going in... Just realize it's another science class, and you enjoy science (otherwise you wouldn't want to go into medicine)... Try to also understand it conceptually-- try to categorize/classify different reactions and understand the mechanism at play, which will allow you to see why things work a certain way and predict other reactions as well as cut down on the memorization... Work hard, and you will be fine!

I was going to post what I thought but... this is perfect. I feel like James Carville in "Oldschool" after the debate with Will Ferrell. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ambs said:
Oh for the love of periods, use one at a time please.

haha, i agree. for me... i guess i looked at it differently, cuz i'm an engineer. but i looked at it like a puzzle problem. the mechanisms are the hardest thing in my mindset, but if u learn the rules, you can practically derive the mechanism. stupid ortho para activators, meta deactivators... i feel like it's all gonna come back during biochem. ahhhhh

and pinker, i guess i'm bad with the periods too

i got an A in ochem! ochem I and ochem II!

(i also got As in A LOT other classes!)

Who ever said that modesty is a dead art? :laugh:

IndyZX said:

Pinkertinkle said:

How amusing!

Out of all things, you point that out! This is an INFORMAL discussion forum... This is not an English class... Interestingly enough, I minored in English (almost dual majored Bio/Eng, but graduating around my 20th birthday sounded more appealing), have edited newsletters (one of them being a community physicians' newsletter), have won several creative writing awards, and have publications...

Thank you, though... You are exceptionally intelligent... You probably don't enjoy much Emily Dicksinson (for the love of God -- could the girl use any more dashes?!) or E.E. Cummings (good grief... don't get me started on him!)

Arsenic810 said:
I was going to post what I thought but... this is perfect. I feel like James Carville in "Oldschool" after the debate with Will Ferrell. :oops:

:thumbup:

Ambs said:
How amusing!

Out of all things, you point that out! This is an INFORMAL discussion forum... This is not an English class... Interestingly enough, I minored in English (almost dual majored Bio/Eng, but graduating around my 20th birthday sounded more appealing), have edited newsletters (one of them being a community physicians' newsletter), have won several creative writing awards, and have publications...

Thank you, though... You are exceptionally intelligent... You probably don't enjoy much Emily Dicksinson (for the love of God -- could the girl use any more dashes?!) or E.E. Cummings (good grief... don't get me started on him!)
My my my, aren't you well read?
Thank you for listing your extracurriculars, I really did care.
Excellent use of sarcasm as well.

haha, pink, something tells me that our personalities would mesh perfectly with each other... right after we ****ing kick each others asses.

Pinkertinkle said:
My my my, aren't you well read?
Thank you for listing your extracurriculars, I really did care.
Excellent use of sarcasm as well.

I knew you'd enjoy it, baby... ;)

Good point about the extracurriculars -- maybe I should've listed them on my AMCAS, and perhaps adcoms would have cared too. :(

By the way, please use a semi-colon in your sentence... You have two independent clauses!

It's all in good fun, girl... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an A in the first semester, B in the second.
Try not to think of how UTTERLY USELESS it is. That's my suggestion for success in that or any other class. Try not to think of how worthless and useless a waste of time it is. One of my former premed friends used to call school "Mental Prostitution." It's probably true, but if you try not to think about it you'll do ok.

IndyZX said:
haha, pink, something tells me that our personalities would mesh perfectly with each other... right after we ****ing kick each others asses.
Haha, awesome. :thumbup:

Ambs said:
By the way, please use a semi-colon in your sentence... You have two independent clauses!

Hey come on now, don't make me point out that Emily. :D

Pinkertinkle said:
Hey come on now, don't make me point out that Emily. :D

I was thinking the same thing. :laugh:

Pinkertinkle said:

hahaha......does that really annoy u?? well anyway..u dont have to be super smart to get an A in orgo 1 and 2..just work a lil...its not that bad actually :laugh:

I got A's both semesters. Here's why.... on the first test, I was completely terrified and seriously studied like a little b**** for a week straight. Then, the test came, and I got a hundred. Everyone else did all bad and stuff, so our professor would always say stuff like, "This girl got a hundred. You can all get hundred's too." From then on, he would always sort of hold me up as the example. I was so afraid to disappoint him that I studied almost continuously the entire semester and wound up never getting lower than a 97. I mean, my fear of disappointing this guy was greater than my fear of getting a B. On the plus side, I'm gonna get a hot LOR from him. :thumbup:

:thumbup: Nothing special. Orgo is 10 x easier than physics.

tae1703 said:

But I did get an A in orgo and I'm so happy about it.
Actually, my teacher told me that I got the highest score on the final exam and that left me with a sold 92.9% in the class.

Chris

P.S. - I finished with a 103% cumulative in Biology.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to brag a little bit about our hard work! :D

A's in both classes and labs. Just pay attention in class and you should be fine.

Ambs said:

Well said. Just work hard at it. Remember that it's a fundamental course. So by learning it, you'll be more prepared for other courses down the road.
I thought it was really cool when we talked about the structure of acetyl salicylic acid (aspirin). My prof even talked about the structure of cocaine and LSD (maybe she had a drug problem!).

But, keep in mind that you don't necesarily have to like all of the science courses you'll take. Generally, it's important to like science. But it's natural that you'll have your favorites, and you'll have strengths and weaknesses.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir.

I got an A in organic 2 (B in organic 1).

Like others have said, it just takes work. A lot of work.

but why do we care so much about the grade in ochem while everyone knows that grade is not playing a huge role in admission??? just try to do your best

Easy A in Ochem I and lab. Got mono second semester, ended up with a C in Ochem II and a B in lab (but a A in P-Chem!!!! :D )

I also found physics almost stupidly easy. Went to class and knitted all semester. About half the class failed, but I ended up with easy A's and a finished sweater.

Blake said:
:thumbup: Nothing special. Orgo is 10 x easier than physics.

Actually, I think physics and orgo (that sounds dirty..we call it ochem here :)) are about the same difficulty. If you learn the basics really well, you're pretty much set. But..if you don't, it will be a continuous struggle. Of course, there are always a few things that you have to memorize because it would take too long. Anyway, I'm sure this has all been said before. But, for anyone who has yet to take either class..a little effort in the beginning of the class will save you tons later on.

I did a ton of searches on Ochem to find some sites to get extra problems and exams and cocaine,LSD, X all seem to be popular compounds to discuss in Ochem lectures.

I agree with what others have said about just treating ochem like another science class. put in the work, have confidence and it will click. Ochem lab sucks up so much damn time though!! I think I must've put in about 10-12 hours/week when you add in the lecture and lab time.

cfdavid said:
My prof even talked about the structure of cocaine and LSD (maybe she had a drug problem!).

Shades McCool said:
A's in both classes and labs. Just pay attention in class and you should be fine.

do u know of a physics prof by the name of Canagie who used to be at auburn?

i got an in A both semesters and in the lab. i am not a science major and people at my school often mistake me for being dumb b/c i like to party and play sports. it was nice to be the "dumb girl" who broke the curve. all it takes, in my opinion, is practice problems. and read the chapter before the lecture!

Just remember, the arrows follow the positive charge and that electronegativity is fun. :cool:

(but ACS's national orgo test kicked my butt. :( )

what's so hard about orgo?
physics was the bane of my existence.

Got a B and a C in orgo. Alright! :laugh:

Same here. Orgo 1 and 2 were my favorite science classes that I have taken so far.

tae1703 said:
oooh oooh, i did! i got an B+, an A and an A- in the series (my school was on the quarter system!) :thumbup:

tae1703 said:

yeah baby. A's all the way in lecture and lab. highest lecture grade second semester baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my advice...read thy book and understand it well.

I'm proud of my B and my C+! During my final exam second semester, the fire alarm went off in the building and we all had to finish our exams outside on the grass. Try working out a long reaction with your pencil poking through the paper every few seconds. What a pain!

Arsenic810 said:
YOUR OLD

::HISS:::

to the OP... i got a B- ...will i go to hell? - love dpg.

I did get A's, but I'm quite certain that I don't remember any of it. Not one single thing. Molecular Weights, nope. What the damn letters even stand for, no way. If med school doesn't start soon, I may forget, among other things, basic cellular biology, English (speaking and writing), math, basic hygiene, how to eat, and potentially how to post on SDN.

If you see a drooling idiot on the side of the rode holding orgo tests with big red A's on them, please deposit him in the nearest medical school. If they're B's, the closest nursing school would be okay too (couldn't resist).

DieselPetrolGrl said:
to the OP... i got a B- ...will i go to hell? - love dpg.

lol. to me, an A is an A and a B is a B.

to those wondering-and i dont think anyone is-i got an A in ochem I. II starts in january. but i dont think making an A makes u smarter than someone with a B. the B person may know more orgo than the A person. i was just curious. just how i am.

I did well in Organic chem and I am not traditionally an A student. The best thing to do is scare the hel out of yourself going in. I like the chalk board idea. The next thing to do is get it out of your mind that it has anything to do with anyother discipline. Chemistry is pretty much a mess, it does'nt "fit" into this nice order. It does however have a bunch of little orders to it. But anyways. I kept thinking of these little blocks I used to play with when I was a kid. Like linkin logs (don't ask me why).
But it was the most time consuming class I ever took. Spent so much time that I think I miss it. Pretty sick don't ya think.

Was anyone a little upset that after all that Ochem- there were hardly any Ochem questions on the MCAT's?

I felt vanboozled.

j

I got a nice big fat B in both organic 1 & 2. Did it matter?... no!! I just let it be and tried my best in my other classes. I graduated last June and busy doing a masters in Epidemiology which I will finish this June. I applied to 9 medical schools, of which I have had 4 interviews already and two more for january. I already have 2 acceptances. My point is so you get B's... so what!!! deal with it, adapt to the circumstances and move on. If you are persistent you will do ok.
Dont sweat the things you cant change.

IndyZX said:

ochem @ UT was completely unchallenging

I really enjoyed Organic. Maybe I'm weird but I always liked doing the mechanisms, they were like solving puzzles or something.

On the other hand I hated Physics and Gen Chem.

cfdavid said:
I thought it was really cool when we talked about the structure of acetyl salicylic acid (aspirin). My prof even talked about the structure of cocaine and LSD (maybe she had a drug problem!).

Yeah that was great when my prof went through that stuff. I was like, "Awesomelicious! Now I will be able to look at a bottle of anything and know what the stuff in it looks like molecularly!"

But no.

Ambs said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: i totally agree