Anybody Interview At Usc-san Gabriel Valley?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttjan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's listed as USC-multi site (although they're almost always at San Gabriel Valley hospital).

What did you think? I interviewed there and really liked the residents, the director, faculty, and the hospital is a community based and unopposed.

i'm just wondering why i don't hear much about this program through the grapvine...hear mostly about Kaiser, UCLA, and White Memorial.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ttjan,

Unfortunately, I received a dreadful email from USC today - they will not be participating in the match this year due to funding problems. It was shocking news to me... I was looking forward to my interview there two weeks from now, since I heard such good things about it from you. :( The program was also near where my family lives, gosh darn it.

I hope that you are not too dissapointed, and that there are other programs you liked on your interview trail.

From now on, I'm going to ask whether programs are having funding problems (I haven't been doing so but that is really important).

Hi ttjan,

Unfortunately, I received a dreadful email from USC today - they will not be participating in the match this year due to funding problems. It was shocking news to me... I was looking forward to my interview there two weeks from now, since I heard such good things about it from you. :( The program was also near where my family lives, gosh darn it.

I hope that you are not too dissapointed, and that there are other programs you liked on your interview trail.

From now on, I'm going to ask whether programs are having funding problems (I haven't been doing so but that is really important).

HI elizabeth5863! I also got the email about USC. I am disappointed but not surprised. I was trying to set up a second look and they kept blowing me off. I've been asking programs about stability as a result.

Fortunately I have a few other programs that I really liked. White Memorial, Northridge and Kaiser are my favorites. Kaiser seems the most competitive. I'm from a US allopathatic medical school, but I think they seem to favor UCLA students.

How are your interviews going?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fortunately I have a few other programs that I really liked. White Memorial, Northridge and Kaiser are my favorites. Kaiser seems the most competitive. I'm from a US allopathatic medical school, but I think they seem to favor UCLA students.

How are your interviews going?

My interviews aren't going too good. I find something wrong with almost every program I've interviewed at and haven't found a program that fits the education, mission, goals, location, faculty/resident quality/personality that I want. :( I don't think I'm that picky but each of the programs have something totally glaring to me that I can't ignore.

I haven't interviewed at the programs you mentioned yet but I hope they're good.

Regarding Kaiser, at one of my interviews today, one resident transferred from Kaiser - Fontana after her 1st year to be with a family member who was dx with a terminal condition. We applicants asked her whether she liked Kaiser - Fontana more than the Sacramento program but she said they were too different to compare. She mentioned that it was a bit difficult at first since she was used to the pre-printed order sheets at Kaiser and now had to write her own orders. (The pre-printed orders helps you be more efficient and you're less likely to harm the pt by forgetting to order certain tests, but there's the risk of just checking boxes and not really learning the management).

What do you think about this? I can see pros and cons to pre-printed order sheets...

My interviews aren't going too good. I find something wrong with almost every program I've interviewed at and haven't found a program that fits the education, mission, goals, location, faculty/resident quality/personality that I want. :( I don't think I'm that picky but each of the programs have something totally glaring to me that I can't ignore.

I haven't interviewed at the programs you mentioned yet but I hope they're good.

I think it can be tough to find the absolute "perfect" program. My husband thought he had found the perfect program, but has discovered some flaws that were hidden since beginning residency. So I'm not sure we can truly find the perfect match. I'd say go with what's MOST important to you...pay? location? hours? resident attitudes? reputation? training? family friendly? FMG/DO? I'd look for a program that can match the three of the above that are most important to you.

So far, I've found three that can fulfill that.

I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your interviews!!! I have one more, at Pomona. Will let you know my thoughts if you are interested.

I think it can be tough to find the absolute "perfect" program. My husband thought he had found the perfect program, but has discovered some flaws that were hidden since beginning residency. So I'm not sure we can truly find the perfect match. I'd say go with what's MOST important to you...pay? location? hours? resident attitudes? reputation? training? family friendly? FMG/DO? I'd look for a program that can match the three of the above that are most important to you.

So far, I've found three that can fulfill that.

I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your interviews!!! I have one more, at Pomona. Will let you know my thoughts if you are interested.

All the aspects you mentioned above are important to me. So far, I'm trying to narrow down in terms of whether my boyfriend would be able to find a job in the area and then going from there.

I've done 16 interviews and have 13 more. I think I'm going to die from exhaustion. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the programs. I'm still trying to contact alumna from my med school to ask about CA programs, so that maybe I don't have to go on as much. It's starting to get to the point where my body is physically reacting to me just thinking about interviews - I start getting HA's and nausea.

I am couple's matching and I am doing 18 interviews and I thought that was a lot. There must be some way you can trim your list down. I'd make it easy on yourself...pick either location or quality of progam as a priority and start to trim your list. If you don't they'll probably all run together completely.

I am couple's matching and I am doing 18 interviews and I thought that was a lot. There must be some way you can trim your list down. I'd make it easy on yourself...pick either location or quality of progam as a priority and start to trim your list. If you don't they'll probably all run together completely.

I was doing okay until my 16th interview when I was at the airport and flying; it took more than 15 hrs and even after 4 days of a break, I am still so exhausted. The problem is that my next batch of interviews are in Southern CA where my family is. Up until now, those 16 interviews were either out-of-state or in northern or central CA where I don't have any family. I am such an idiot. I should have done the Southern CA interviews first, but thought that it would be easier to do them last since, with the holiday breaks, I can stay with family and not have to pay for hotel expenses.

My problem was that I didn't carefully research the programs before deciding to accept interview offers. I tend to read about programs the night before my interview and then when I find something I don't like about the program, it would be too late to cancel.

Hi Elisabeth5863! Regarding your question earlier about the Kaiser programs: I only applied to the L.A. one. I have to say, I was very impressed with the program, residents, staff, facilities, etc. They seem to have a strong program. Also, if you see yourself working at Kaiser after residency then this is a great place to train. The downsides are that it's opposed (but the FP dept is very strong), peds seems a little limited in outpatient setting (you'd have to set up some elective time for additional training or moonlight in PEDS Urgent care) and if you want to treat the uninsured vs the working poor and middle class then this may not be the place for you. I think you'd work hard at this program, but it didn't seem malignant at all. Hope this helps! Keep me posted on how your So. Cal interviews go and what you think about White Memorial, Northridge and Kaiser-L.A (I would keep all these interviews if you can). BEst of luck!!!!!!!!

I was doing okay until my 16th interview when I was at the airport and flying; it took more than 15 hrs and even after 4 days of a break, I am still so exhausted. The problem is that my next batch of interviews are in Southern CA where my family is. Up until now, those 16 interviews were either out-of-state or in northern or central CA where I don't have any family.

Well, I wish you best of luck. I am already burnt out, I've only done 7, and I have 11 more to go!!!

Keep me posted on how your So. Cal interviews go and what you think about White Memorial, Northridge and Kaiser-L.A (I would keep all these interviews if you can). BEst of luck!!!!!!!!

Hi ttjan,

I've interviewed at White Memorial and really liked it. The program director is very nice and all the residents all seemed to support each other. The training there is strong; it's not a county program yet the pathology and volume of pts are very good - funding is not a problem like at county programs. The only downside for me (although this may not be a problem for you) is that I do not speak spanish and would have to learn it. I don't like the idea of being inefficient and being the slowest of all the residents because I don't speak Spanish. However, I've heard that many non-spanish speaking residents pick it up the language rather quickly and that no matter which residency you go to in Southern CA, you'd have to speak spanish. It's kind of saddening for me since communication skills are very important in family medicine and yet I will never be able to communicate with mono-lingual spanish speaking pts to the extent and depth that I can with english speaking pts.

But... I guess there are also nonverbal forms of communication... and I guess I better start learning spanish before residency so that I'm not too inefficient getting the H&P and counseling pts.

As for Northridge... haven't done that yet.

As for Kaiser - LA... I may not be able to make that interview since I'm required by my med school to be back at a certain time and date and I can't find a flight that would take me back in time for my rotation. :( It's kind of sad to miss this one in a life-time opportunity. My school is so unsympathetic.

If you had to choose b/t going to the Kaiser - LA interview vs. having to change a 2 week rotation to the beginning of May (graduation is May 15), would you do it? There's no guarantee I'd even get into Kaiser - LA or if it's the best fit for me and I really want my two weeks before my graduation off so that I can look for a place to live and pack up all my stuff, move, etc.
What would you do?

I'll let you know about Northridge after I interview there. Good luck!