Anybody know any doctors or med student has ADD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I posted here several times to get advice from you all and I came back. I'm in Georgetown grad school majoring in biotech. However, I realized that I have an ADD. I've always had it abd I was never interested in studying. Mostly I didn't pay attention to the lecturer. So I enjoyed pretty much in college and ended up having poor GPA and after I decided to become a DO, I worked hard as a post-bacc student and increased my status and numbers.
I'm 25 and I still have dream to become a DO but with having attention deficit problem, and having English as my second language, it has always given me hard time academically.
I need more work compare to other students.
I read slow and sometimes I feel having language barrier. But that I can work on it by improving my English skills. But not attention problem.

I don't know if I still want to pursue medicine because of what I have. All I got is creativity in my brain.
Do you know any doctors or med student who has an ADD? Do I have to take medication all the time if so?
I would appreciate your advice. Thanks

Unsun

Members don't see this ad.

Many people in the medical community have add. I have classmates in medical school with this diagnosis. Every school has a disability service to help serve students with various types of disabilities including ADD and learning disabilities. Two of my classmates are currently receiving disability help from our school.

You can go to a psychologist to get a formal diagnosis and your pcp or a psychiatrist may prescribe you medication to help alleviate some of your symptoms. Once you have a formal diagnosis, by law the school is suppose to help you. So, if I were you I would seek a diagnosis and get help now. I think you would be able to focus better in your grad program and also when you get into med school. Don't forget that with a written diagnosis you can get disability accomadations from your school.

peace

I HAVE ADD, JOIN THE CLUB!