Anybody know any orthos from Caribbean school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that to get a competitive residency is VERY difficult as an FMG. But do any of you know if there are many FMGs who go on to ortho-surg?

Members don't see this ad.

there's a guy from sgu who made it into an ortho residency, it's a really competitive residency but it's not impossible for IMG's to get into it.

DO and better for ortho? doesnt click. Where did you get that from, Molybdenum?

Members don't see this ad :)
Molybdenum is actually right. There are a large number of DO ortho residencies, and I believe there are a fair amount, but not many, of DO grads that go to MD ortho residencies. However, most of the DO orthos have come from DO ortho residencies. Man, did I say DO enough?

Oh well, if hes right, then I take my question back :). Im not informed in the DO - ortho area. ;)

While anesthesia is relatively easy to get (but getting harder again) ortho is still tough. In the past DO has had an advantage; nowadays I'm honestly not so sure. Two folks recently from sgu got it however. But I would have to say if youre dead set on ortho, think hard about going abroad.
Good luck

One of the students a year ahead of me at Flinders in Australia is now doing Ortho in Michigan (he had lots of contacts and research even before he started medical school and a great Step 1 score).

There are about 25 Osteopathic ortho programs in the US graduating 50 new orthopedic surgeons a year.A few DOs do get in as well to allopathic programs.So if you want ortho from DO school you have a decent shot at it.From caribbean or other foreign schools there are a few who do get in.But this is very rare much much less than the DO numbers.The opportunities as far as competitive specialties are clearly better from DO schools than Caribbean.The DO only residencies in Rads,Derm,Optho make this possible.Although they are not large in number they are sufficient to give one a real option.