Anybody know why Military Salaries are listed so high for Nuclear Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrNakLeng

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was recently researching different military specialties and came across this pay scale on the DFAS website. It shows nuclear medicine as being a category I specialty with a huge retention bonus. I had heard that nuclear medicine has gone downhill over the years in terms of the job market so this quite surprised me. Am I interpreting this data wrong or can anybody with experience in military nuclear medicine let me know what their experience is? Thanks

Link:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was recently researching different military specialties and came across this pay scale on the DFAS website. It shows nuclear medicine as being a category I specialty with a huge retention bonus. I had heard that nuclear medicine has gone downhill over the years in terms of the job market so this quite surprised me. Am I interpreting this data wrong or can anybody with experience in military nuclear medicine let me know what their experience is? Thanks

Link:

Not in military medicine but just reading that table and notes that blurb says "Nuclear Medicine Internists only." I've met one nuc-med trained internist in my life; she trained over 30 years ago and has been outta practice for 20 years.

Basically everyone practicing nuc med these days is radiology/NM or NM only. I doubt most medicine people even know that nuc-med is a possible additional training pathway for them.

Reactions: 1 user