Anybody re-applying to Texas schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFAJess

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious to see if anybody here is currently re-applying to Texas schools. If so, how many interviews did you have and when you interviewed did you think all was well or did you know instantly that the interview did not go well?

I'm currently applying to the Texas schools and have completed 3 interviews so far. I was wondering if you knew that the interview wasn't very good or were you completely oblivious to it? I think they went well, but I don't know if I was just oblivious or if you just can't tell if they like you or not.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks a bunch!! :D And good luck to all those applying this year.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a reapplicant, Jess. My inteviews have varied in some cases, while one school (SA) invited me back this year. I think that for some schools the interview is there to see if you fit into the school's "type." More important, I believe that it's imperative to have improved your application somehow since last year. I did, and it's resulted in two interviews which I never expected to see.

Just putting my two cents down on the table.

Evo

EvoDevo said:
I'm a reapplicant, Jess. My inteviews have varied in some cases, while one school (SA) invited me back this year. I think that for some schools the interview is there to see if you fit into the school's "type." More important, I believe that it's imperative to have improved your application somehow since last year. I did, and it's resulted in two interviews which I never expected to see.

Just putting my two cents down on the table.

Evo
I think I forgot you were a re-applicant. Did you have other interviews besides SA last year? How did you feel about them right after they were over? I think I'm just being neurotic, but I'm so scared that I will look up TMDSAS on Feb 1 only to see that I didn't match anywhere. I know, I'm crazy! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not crazy. You've just been burned before, you know? I know that feeling. :(

Nope, last year I had SA plus a MD/PhD interview. And to be honest, last year I think my SA interview was flat-out horrible. My 4/year student was an ass and I felt like ripping his throat out. So I wasn't surprised by my rejection. However, I spoke with an adcom member after the interview last week, and they said that I most likely got rejected because of my numbers. Which is why I re-took the MCAT this April. FWIW, I think this time around the interview went FANTASTICALLY, especially as I made sure to mention that SA was my number 1 choice, and I listed off reasons why I wanted to matriculate there next fall.

Anyway, don't worry. There's nothing you can do now (except perhaps writing a note to Dean Jones) except wait. Sucks, but that's all we can do.

Thanks for the info, Evo! I really wish I could have met you last Monday...SA is my first choice as well so maybe we will be classmates. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I am re-applying but I was just asking for advice so that I don't have to re-apply. Sorry for the mix-up. :oops: I figured the re-applicant forum would be the best place to ask about how people felt about their interviews.

I think my interviews went pretty well at SA too. My 4th year told me almost everything an applicant would want to hear, but I had this other lady (an ER doc) that hardly let me say a word. And then at the end, she said, "I don't think you'll have any trouble in medical school." I wanted to say, "How would you know? I haven't even told you about myself." LOL!! Oh well, I guess if I didn't say anything then I didn't have a chance to ruin that impression.

I'm just worrying and all when I should be studying for my classes that I'm taking now. Thanks again!

SFAJess and Evo:

I'm a reapplicant to Texas this year, but I'm also widening the net because I do not want to wait any longer.

No interviews last year, probably due to my stats and transitional residency status. So I retook and improved MCAT and volunteered at Parkland. Matter of fact, we had quite the Level 1 come in today on the chopper. Makes for an interesting day.

I'm waiting on an LOR for all my applications, so the next month will be the true test. I was transmitted (TX) on 9/11.

Good luck to y'all. I hope SA shows me some love, I've heard such great things the school. All the students seem to love it there. Good cost of living & housing helps too. How are the SA facilities compared to the other schools? I've only seen TCOM.

I applied to the Texas schools three times

The first two years I was not a resident. I got 1 interview total at UT-Houston (and the interview stunk badly).

In my third year of applying I had Texas residency and I received two interviews (San Antonio and Texas A&M---my top choice). I was given a clear indication I would not be accepted to TAMU at the interview, but I also knew going into it my chances were slim since I was a very late interviewee and I needed an awesome interview. I got asked a few beleifs questions and it was evident my interviewer and I did not see things on the same page.

At the SA inteview I was told from both interviewers that they would try their hardest to get me to SA since I fit their profile. Come match day I was waitlisted at SA, but was eventually accepted in mid-June (I don't attend SA, but a different school-since moving would have been a huge hassle with the summer plans, and besides I already told everyone I was attending a different school).

There is hope for you, and it's a great sign that you've had several interviews already. Good luck come Feb 1.

Can someone please give me the names off all the deans a the Texas medical schools?

DrLiver said:
Can someone please give me the names off all the deans a the Texas medical schools?

You asked this on another thread too I think.

Why don't you go to each website and get the information? Try gooogling the school name or link from TMDSAS. Put in a little tiny bit of effort :rolleyes:

OrthoFixation said:
You asked this on another thread too I think.

Why don't you go to each website and get the information? Try gooogling the school name or link from TMDSAS. Put in a little tiny bit of effort :rolleyes:
Seconded. Sheesh!

SFAJess-

Dont' worry about your second interview, some of the best advice I got in when interviewing (centuries ago ;)) was that if you can NOT talk about medical school, your golden. And if you can get the interviewer to ramble on about thier life, you will find they often think that you were stellar because THEY had a grand old time! So don't worry.

While, in the horrid event, you have to re-apply, lots of people end up getting in the second time around. Unfortunately there is an element of randomness to it all. This is exceptionally frustrating to us medical types as we like to be in control.

and if there is even a tiny 'flaw' in our application we really freak. (and I say this from experience, because despite a strong application, I thought my film degree might really hamper me...)

Try to find something else to focus on! I wish I had known you were in SA with Evo. You could have come and had sushi with us!

John Deere Gree said:
I applied to the Texas schools three times

The first two years I was not a resident. I got 1 interview total at UT-Houston (and the interview stunk badly).

In my third year of applying I had Texas residency and I received two interviews (San Antonio and Texas A&M---my top choice). I was given a clear indication I would not be accepted to TAMU at the interview, but I also knew going into it my chances were slim since I was a very late interviewee and I needed an awesome interview. I got asked a few beleifs questions and it was evident my interviewer and I did not see things on the same page.

At the SA inteview I was told from both interviewers that they would try their hardest to get me to SA since I fit their profile. Come match day I was waitlisted at SA, but was eventually accepted in mid-June (I don't attend SA, but a different school-since moving would have been a huge hassle with the summer plans, and besides I already told everyone I was attending a different school).

There is hope for you, and it's a great sign that you've had several interviews already. Good luck come Feb 1.

what steps did you have to take to get residency in the 2/3 years? i am contemplating filing for texas residency, but i don't know if i'll be able to do so before hte next round of applications (2005-2006)

jammin06 said:
what steps did you have to take to get residency in the 2/3 years? i am contemplating filing for texas residency, but i don't know if i'll be able to do so before hte next round of applications (2005-2006)

The cleanest way to establish TX residency is to have 12 months of documentable time living in the state. Be sure to get you Drivers License, register your car/get TX plates, rent or have utilities in your name, and especially work full time, etc. You cannot go to school, unless it is not your primary reason for moving to TX. Ex: I moved here and took Org II at night while working full time.

If you have 12 months at the date of application, your good. I had 12 months established 30 days prior to the match on Feb 1. Accordingly, my application sent out as a non-resident with a letter stating that I would be a resident at the time of the match. Not the ideal situation. I am still convinced that some schools considered me out of state last year. No proof, as the schools said that wasn't the case.

So I improved my application and tried again this year. Better results, but I also improved my application and applied to several out of state schools as a alternate. FYI, the match helps TX residents, but waiting for Feb 1 is a pain. Then again, I'm still interviewing.

Some people get in as late as school starting, so apparently acceptances are rejected by some applicants late in the process.

Good luck :thumbup:. In state tuition can't be beat anywhere. :D :)