Anybody still deciding whether medicine is the path they want to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazydiamond

Non-trad with 2 kids
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, it's SDN, and practically everybody is gung-ho about med school. But the truth is, I've been wavering on whether I should even apply.

I'm 28 and married with 2 young children. I have an enjoyable career in IT, even though I don't a lot of money. My undergrad degree is in biology, though and my original intent was to go into medicine. Somewhere around my junior year, I freaked out and changed my mind and decided to turn my hobby of computers into a career. I did finish my biology degree, though, and have worked in IT since then. That was 8 years ago. For the last 5 years I've also been pursuing an MBA (with an MIS concentration) on a very part-time basis. I should be done with it by next spring.

Three years ago, though, I decided that I should pursue medicine after all. I got some MCAT study books but with school, never got around to study much at all. So then this summer I decided I'd really buckle down, so I decided to enroll in Intensive Biochemistry this fall and take a Kaplan MCAT course, with the intention of applying to med school next year.

I've also done some volunteering in an ED. The truth is, I hated the volunteering. I hated running around cleaning rooms and transporting patients to and fro. This summer I got a couple of doctors to agree to let me shadow them and volunteer in their clinics (2 peds, 1 FP), but I'm ashamed to say that I suddenly have no motivation to call them.

Now I have no motivation to take the biochem class (school starts tomorrow, so I need to decide quickly!) or even the Kaplan class. Now all I want to do is finish my MBA and continue working in IT.

BUT, I keep changing my mind. Some days I'm all about applying to med school, other days I'm all about staying in IT. This back and forth is taking a toll on me and my family. I just need to make a decision and stick with it. The truth is, though, I find them equally interesting. When I think about all the crap in IT, I find medicine more attractive. But then when I read about the crap in medicine, I'm drawn more to IT. It's almost like I should just toss a coin.

The main things that bug me about are IT is always being in a cubicle farm doing somewhat meaningless work. Just pushing papers, bowing to someone elses commands, dealing with politics, etc. But there's this in medicine too, no? The main drawbacks to medicine at this point is the time and money it takes. . .which means I'll be close to 40 before I start making money. Granted it would be more money than I'm making now, but I don't have to go through 8+ years of training to get there. I'm already making money now and my salary should continue to increase somewhat over the years. I'll probably never make 6-figures doing what I do, but at least I get to see my family often and enjoy life.

One thing I did learn my from volunteering in the ED is that I wouldn't have made a good EM doctor. But maybe it's just that speciality? Or maybe it's medicine altogether?

I honestly have no idea where I'm going with all this, except that I have no idea what to do. Although I'm tempted at this point to drop biochem and not apply next year at all, my husband thinks its better if I do take biochem and see how I do. He also thinks I should continue with the Kaplan course and take the MCAT in January, as planned. Then, if I do decide to pursue med school, I'll be set. And if I don't, well, it was only a little bit of money and time to have found out for sure. Does he have the words of wisdom?

Help me out here!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you're basically equally happy with staying in IT versus going into medicine, you're better off staying where you are. There's no shame in deciding that medicine is just not for you. Your lack of motivation to do biochem and the MCAT course or shadow the doctors, coupled with your desire to do the MBA and have time for your family, actually sounds pretty decisive to me. Your gut is telling you something important here. Better to listen to it now than to find yourself halfway through med school, in six figure debt, and realizing that you made a mistake that leaves you between a rock and a hard place. Of course, I say this with the caveat that I don't know you at all and I'm just going with what you've said in your post. But that's my impression, FWIW.

Best of luck with your decision. :)

The truth is, though, I find them equally interesting. When I think about all the crap in IT, I find medicine more attractive. But then when I read about the crap in medicine, I'm drawn more to IT.

If you really feel equally drawn to the two fields, you'd be nuts to go to medical school. Nuts.

The main things that bug me about are IT is always being in a cubicle farm doing somewhat meaningless work. Just pushing papers, bowing to someone elses commands, dealing with politics, etc. But there's this in medicine too, no?

Is there ever.

The main drawbacks to medicine at this point is the time and money it takes.

Look, I know the standard wisdom here on SDN is that you should only go to medical school if it's the only thing you can see yourself doing. I happen to think that's hogwash. I definitely can see myself doing a wide variety of other careers, but I'm happy to be in medicine. The truth is, medical training is a bigger sacrifice for some people than for others. For example, in my case, medical school wasn't much of a sacrifice at all, so it was fine that I only feel so-so about it. For most of medical school, I was married with no children. My husband works long hours, so it wasn't a big deal that I was busy too. I enjoyed it, for the most part. And it's been a pretty minor financial sacrifice for me, as well, for a variety of reasons. However, now that I'm the mother of a baby boy, I understand that medical training is be a much bigger sacrifice for parents. So there's that. And in your case, it's also going to be a significant financial sacrifice, since you're giving up a good salary and postponing your real earning until age 40. (Although, I suppose if your husband or partner makes a ton of money, it doesn't really matter.) Why on earth would you make such a big sacrifice for a job you don't expect to like any better than the one you currently have? That's crazy.

One thing I did learn my from volunteering in the ED is that I wouldn't have made a good EM doctor. But maybe it's just that speciality? Or maybe it's medicine altogether?

FWIW, I hate the ED too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your husband's plan sounds best. Something prompted you to initiate this but you may be letting the complications of life discourage you. My vote is to study, apply and then decide.

I am not so sure about taking biochemistry though. If you are taking the MCAT soon I would take physiology or genetics.

I am also in IT. I walked away from a chance to pursue medicine years ago and regret it. Now, I am trying again with more responsibilities and less energy. Your still young. You didn't state how old your children are but this may be your best chance. Good luck.

I can relate on many levels (which is part of the reason I don't post here often, but I do read quite a lot).
I'm married with three kids. I have a decent job, but it doesn't excite me at all. I like the company I work for, I like most of the people I work with, and the job itself isn't bad... but I'm not motivated at all. I've wanted to get in to the medical field forever, but haven't been able to pursue it yet. I'm finally in a position that I am working toward my undergrad with the hopes of eventually going to medical school. I'll be in my 40's by the time it's all said and done. As much as I want to go through with it I also worry that financially it won't be worth it. Those four years in medical school instead of contributing to the household financially I'll be a burden on it and I hate that. I make decent money now, and when I sit down and look at the numbers ten or fifteen years from now I'd be better off financially if I just keep doing what I'm doing. I just don't think I can be all that happy if I stay working in a cubicle for the rest of my life. I need something else. I'm back to working on my undergrad again now and for the time being I'm just taking it one day at a time. I enjoy my kids as much as I can, I work to get the job done and pay the bills, and I go to school in an attempt to better myself.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks every one for your words of wisdom!

Today was the first day of classes and I went to biochem, but just didn't feel any excitement. I think I'll go a few more classes before I decide to drop it, though.

QofQ - My mom actually said the same thing. She doesn't know anything about medicine, but she does say it sounds like my heart is still with IT but my brain, for whatever reason, wants to do medicine. But that I am looking for a reason not to.

yada - Yeah, I guess on many levels it doesn't make sense to pursue something so time and money intensive if I'm happy where I am. Part of me thinks I might regret not pursuing medicine, but part of me thinks I might regret leaving IT. As QofQ said, I don't want to find out when I'm piled with debt with no easy eay out. My husband does have a decent job and can support us while I'm in school, but we wouldn't be able to save for retirement, etc like we are now.

s1s - My children are ages 3.5 and 4 mos. I walked away from medicine about 8 years ago and didn't regret it at all until somewhat recently. My decision to pursue medicine again had a lot to do with having some health issues and being hospitalized, and then realizing that medicine is what I really want to do (or so I thought). Now that I'm better and away from the hospital and doctors, that excitement has faded. And now that I'm working full-time in IT, that has new excitement.

I decided to take biochemistry, though, because I already have a biology degree and have taken tons of classes, so I'm running out of classes to take! I've already done A&P, genetics, microbiology, etc. -- all the pre-reqs plus some (including a less intense biochem class). I'm honestly not sure what else to take that would demonstrate my ability to handle difficult coursework after an 8 year gap.

doubleking - I hear you about working in a cubicle forever and being better off financially by keep working. Could your situation be like mine? An ill-fitting job prompting an entire career change? Maybe a better job would get you some of that excitement back.

I know a big part of my ambivilance has to do with the fact that I've gone through a lot of changes recently. Having kids always makes you rethink things. But more importantly, I was stuck in an IT job that was going nowhere and I think I thought that I was fed-up with the entire field instead of realizing it was just the job. Friday was actually my last day of work and now, suddently, I'm feeling renewed excitement at finding a more fitting job. So then I think I should stay in IT, just get a better job instead of changing careers altogether! Surely medicine will be filled with less than stellar jobs, too.

Why do I want to be a doctor? Honestly I don't know. I do find the information fascinating. I like to work with people and help them. I'm a very dedicated person and follow through on my committments (which is probably why I'm having a hard time letting go). I dream of opening my own practice. I love being constantly busy and don't care for much down-time. I'm a good student and think I can hack it. And then the biggie -- I want to do something great with my life. I want to look back and see that I've accomplished something. I might not be able to change the world, but I can change a few people's lives. I don't get that in IT. Of course, being a doctor doesn't mean I will do something great with my life and I know it can get just as dull as any other field, but I think my chances are higher than in IT. So it really comes down to ego, I guess. That's a hard thing to get over. I'm typically a very down-to-earth person so the ego thing is surprising to me. But I guess it's the truth so I should lay it all out there.

Why do I want to be a doctor? Honestly I don't know. I do find the information fascinating. I like to work with people and help them. I'm a very dedicated person and follow through on my committments (which is probably why I'm having a hard time letting go). I dream of opening my own practice. I love being constantly busy and don't care for much down-time. I'm a good student and think I can hack it. And then the biggie -- I want to do something great with my life. I want to look back and see that I've accomplished something. I might not be able to change the world, but I can change a few people's lives. I don't get that in IT. Of course, being a doctor doesn't mean I will do something great with my life and I know it can get just as dull as any other field, but I think my chances are higher than in IT. So it really comes down to ego, I guess. That's a hard thing to get over. I'm typically a very down-to-earth person so the ego thing is surprising to me. But I guess it's the truth so I should lay it all out there.
My school is getting into this whole medical technology thing, and it's been quite a challenge for the fogies like me. I have to tell you that when I was struggling to meet a deadline or retrieve the paper that I just completely erased, the IT folks here saved my butt several times. Especially my first year, I spent enough time in their office that I knew all of them by name. :laugh: Maybe the solution to your problem is that you ought to do IT for a medical school. Seriously, we need people like you, because an awful lot of us suck at computers. :oops:

How did you do in the pre-reqs?
I also had a Biology degree with an 8 yr gap. But, I decided to retake them all based on some mediocre grades and to help prep for the MCAT.

Thanks QofQ, again. I've decided, for now at least, to stay in IT. I do like it, just not the job I was in. I left my job to finish my degree in information security and to have more time with the kids. It feels like the end of an era to me, no longer having the thrill of the med school chase. LOL

PB - my ugrad gpa was 3.4 and science gpa was 3.2. I was planning on taking a few upper division biology/biochem classes and doing really well in them to help boost my science gpa (by my calculations, I could get it to a 3.3 or 3.4) and make my case. And then I'd just rock the MCAT to help seal the deal.

One other benefit of medicine, at least how things are now with the "shortage" (aamc induced?) of doctors -- in the business world (including IT) there's always the possibility of layoffs/career uncertainty, getting to that point where you're making 90K as a technical expert & then seeing your expertise no longer needed due to poor business environment, outsourcing overseas, etc. This has happenned to several relatives & one of the nurses I'd met volunteering. Healthcare, despite the time required prior to beginning, is more stable & likely to be needed forever.

This is not intended to be a standalone argument, but rather one element to include in your considerations..imagine you're an former VP aged 45 who was laid off 8 months ago & you're burning through retirement savings & hoping to heck you don't have to move to get re-employed..pros & cons to any choice, doctors work very hard.

I would like to add to the conversation. I am in a similar situation as many of you and would like to read your suggestions as well. Graduated with PharmD in 2007 and would owe about 50-60k left if accpeted to med. school in a cpl of yrs. I am married with a 8mo old daughter and morgage, bills, etc...I am set on going to med. school, but the financial benefits may not outweight the costs. Everyone keeps telling me MDs make a ton of money, but I know this isn't necessarily true. What do you guys think of the financial aspects of lost opportunity costs and inc. student loans? For those of you that are going despite this type of situation, what was your thought process?

I expect as a Pharm D you are pulling in between 70-100K/yr

So opportunity cost alone is at least 90K/yr. 4 yrs of med school totals 360K. Add tuition which will run instate in Va to around 30K in tuition plus 10K in living expenses. So now we are up to $560K.

Residency is a minimum of 3 years. Again that is 50K of lost wages per year(40K as resident, 90+ as pharmacist). So add another 150K to the pile. You come out with around $710K of opportunity cost while you are in training. This is assuming you choose one of the shorter residencies

You come out and probably make $150 on average. So thats 60K per year extra. You end up having to work around 12 years to break even. The dynamic is vastly different if you choose a competitive or lucrative subspecialty like Derm for instance where you make 300+K per year.

Now counting pills may not be your cup of tea. If it makes you miserable you should take the plunge. Otherwise consider if being a doctor is going to be any better. You hours for sure will be worse.

I would like to add to the conversation. I am in a similar situation as many of you and would like to read your suggestions as well. Graduated with PharmD in 2007 and would owe about 50-60k left if accpeted to med. school in a cpl of yrs. I am married with a 8mo old daughter and morgage, bills, etc...I am set on going to med. school, but the financial benefits may not outweight the costs. Everyone keeps telling me MDs make a ton of money, but I know this isn't necessarily true. What do you guys think of the financial aspects of lost opportunity costs and inc. student loans? For those of you that are going despite this type of situation, what was your thought process?
The financial benefits will almost certainly *not* outweigh the costs for someone like you. Unless you really hate being a pharmacist, I'd think twice about going down this path.

I figured the cost of attendance, once you compound the interest and added in lost income, added up to at least $500k. I did the math on this with the assumption that all debt would be paid in 10 years and the interest was 6%, which is looking pretty unlikely.

Personally, if there was ANY way I could have stayed in education for the next 10 years with joy, I would have done it. My DH says I'm in school because a) I was bored and b) I'm his retirement check :p So I don't think you need some sort of calling, necessarily, but you do have to look at the debt and time and sacrifice and say, cool, I'll do it. I can't imagine sitting here with biochem all day long if I wasn't happy about my choice. I looked at it sort of like agreeing to join the military, but without the WMD and deployment.

Why don't you look into an IT job that's more enticing than yours? Say, working on EMR?

Also, I volunteered in surgery (pre-op/post-op), cleaning and stocking, and totally hated it. Loved actually working with pts, though, and generally liked the people I was with while cleaning.