Anybody still waiting for Vanderbilt??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrThom

Thundercat
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a support thread for all those who didn't get the Vanderbilt secondary/interview...

unless I am the only one.

Edit: processed 6/22

Members don't see this ad.

you are not the only one. i am sure lots of people are still waiting becuase it is too early to send out rejections, so most people just have not heard yet.

They've only sent out one round right? I'm sure there are more to follow...I was processed yesterday...so I'm eagerly waiting for Vandy...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was processed early July and still haven't heard from Vandy. :(

I haven't heard either. :(

me neither

I emailed Vandy to tell them that if I was to receive a secondary, they should send it to my permanent home address because my preferred mailing address stopped forwarding my mail (grrr)...

they emailed me back saying my application was still being screened and that I would get a letter requesting I fill out a secondary or a letter saying they would stop pursueing my application...

guess I won't see the vandy letter for awhile...but it would be nice to know.

yes, i am one of those. starting to dread the mail instead of look forward to it.

ugh

Yeah I'm still waiting but I'm not holding my breath...just checking my mailbox every day. Damn you Vanderbilt! :shaking fist:

My app was processed during the first week of June. I still haven't heard from Vandy. I'll be counting on a rejection e-mail or letter soon.

processed 7/7. still waiting. i'll cry myself to sleep tonight....

I'm sure Vandy is still sorting through all of those AMCASes. I'm well above their averages and haven't heard a word (processed 7-13). Besides, from DrThom's post it sounds like they're sending out rejections at the same time as invitations, so no news is... well, at least it's not bad news.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wiggy73 said:
I'm sure Vandy is still sorting through all of those AMCASes. I'm well above their averages and haven't heard a word (processed 7-13). Besides, from DrThom's post it sounds like they're sending out rejections at the same time as invitations, so no news is... well, at least it's not bad news.

Wow! Looking at your stats (congratulations by the way, it is the highest I have ever seen), I feel much more comfortable knowing they are sifting through the stuff.
Maybe we'll be in round 2.
I just swear SDN will give me an ulcer.

Processed in June. Still waiting for the mailman. :cool:

in all seriousness, i hate to be the pessimist
but, based on the other MSAR thread, I was looking at vandy's stats; they interview about 1/4 of their applicants, and this year there will be more applicants, of course.
it is not unlikely that we are all in the "rejection" pile, because 75% of the people will not get an interview.
i don't know, anyone have thoughts on this? obviously, the peole who have their mdapplicants profiles have amazing numbers, but vandy specifically says that it is not all numbers--they read the statement, activities, and i have no idea how this will pan out.

calstudent said:
... but vandy specifically says that it is not all numbers--they read the statement, activities, and i have no idea how this will pan out.

I agree that they may say "it's not all about the numbers" but with average MCAT ~33 and GPA ~3.8, numbers are a pretty big deal.

What bothers me is that I have the MCAT, but not the grades. However, erasing the first 2 years, I do have the grades (inc. post-bac). If I get an interview, I will gladly report back that it is not just the numbers.

ad infinitum said:
I agree that they may say "it's not all about the numbers" but with average MCAT ~33 and GPA ~3.8, numbers are a pretty big deal.

What bothers me is that I have the MCAT, but not the grades. However, erasing the first 2 years, I do have the grades (inc. post-bac). If I get an interview, I will gladly report back that it is not just the numbers.

See, my problem is exactly the reverse...I've got the grades but not the MCAT. Def. did a whole lot better in Verbal and writing sample than bio and physical...so I'm worried. But, whatever...maybe something else will come down the pipeline...

I have high MCAT/avg grades...I'm hoping that my EC's/research/and high MCAT buffer my avg grades for a Vandy interview. :oops:

still waiting as well... bump bump

the mailman forgot my vandy interview invite AGAIN! his incompetence is really starting to trouble me!

for everyone on this thread... :luck: :thumbup: :luck: :thumbup: :luck: :thumbup: :luck:

superdevil said:
the mailman forgot my vandy interview invite AGAIN! his incompetence is really starting to trouble me!

for everyone on this thread... :luck: :thumbup: :luck: :thumbup: :luck: :thumbup: :luck:

hey superdevil,

are you also a blue devil? :laugh:

Originally Posted by gobblety_gook
hey superdevil,

are you also a blue devil
? :laugh:
hahaha...nah, i live in ohio. the whole "evil" persona is just something i developed when i went to catholic school to piss off my teachers. it just kind of "stuck" ever since.

I am going to be the person who keeps waiting for Vandy even after I am rejected. I can see it now....

I have been sitting on the front porch, day and night, waiting for those precious few seconds in the afternoon when then mailman comes....finally, he arrives:

Me: Do you have my letter from Vandy today?

Mailman: I gave you that letter two months ago. You were rejected remember....

Me: None today? Oh well, I guess I'll just wait until tomorrow.

(next day)

Mailman: Again, I allready gave it to you. Should you go in an take a shower or something. You look like crap and you reek.

(next day)

Mailman: FOR CHRISSAKES!! YOU WERE REJECTED! GO INSIDE AND GET OVER IT! YOU'RE PATHETIC!!

Mailmain: I need a new job

....Ahhh, I can picture it now

Wiggy73 said:

I wouldn't worry about getting in... just worry about the people that don't get in. They will hunt you down because you are the "shoe in" that kept them from getting in.

another bad day with the mailman and vandy. i like this support group, however :thumbup:

just wish i wasn't a part of it...

clearly, "round one" of interview invites is done. :mad: :mad: i'm optimistic that not being in round one does not imply rejection (as some of us on here have pretty impressive applications).

my only hope is that the next round of invites comes out soon. it would mean the world to me to be able to interview at vandy before sept. 4 (the start of fall quarter). hopefully our early SDN compatriots don't fill up all of the august dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :luck: :luck: :scared: :oops: :(

I haven't gotten a letter from Vanderbilt either. My AMCAS was processed 7/16, so like 2 weeks ago. My GPA is above their averages by a little, but my MCAT is below their average (although still 30+), fairly good EC's, (hopefully?) good rec's. I don't know what to think...I'm probably getting rejected, but I'm hoping for the best. Anyone else processed mid-July and still waiting? Or perhaps more importantly, anyone processed mid-July and get an interview invite? Thanks guys.

Big negatory on the V-bilt today

DrThom said:
Big negatory on the V-bilt today

Yup, mail came in today, but nothing from Vandy.
Thanks for bumping the thread, I feel better already.

still nothing from vandy here, either.

vandy (sob) my unofficial top choice (sob, sob), show me some love...(open wailing and crying, complete with that "i would console him but he's got that goofy crying-snot coming out of his nose").

does anyone know when the next round of invites will be sent? is there a chance that blasted alphabet is playing a role in this (last name is a W...yea, i know that's desperate and pathetic, what's your point? :smuggrin: )?

keep our little thread going!

superdevil said:
still nothing from vandy here, either.

vandy (sob) my unofficial top choice (sob, sob), show me some love...(open wailing and crying, complete with that "i would console him but he's got that goofy crying-snot coming out of his nose").

does anyone know when the next round of invites will be sent? is there a chance that blasted alphabet is playing a role in this (last name is a W...yea, i know that's desperate and pathetic, what's your point? :smuggrin: )?

keep our little thread going!

HAHA, it better not or the C my last name begins with stands for sCrewed...

(lame, I know...couldn't think of anything wittier)

no vandy, no vandy, no vandy

Originally Posted by RunMimi
Sorry but I'm a 'W' also and I got my interview from Vandy. Don't give up hope though!
yeah, i know, i wasn't really being serious. i'm not as worried about it as i pretend to be. i still think i'll get an interview (realistically, not out of insane delusions).

by the way, if you've got an interview, what are you doing here, anyway?! [in an inbred, backwoods voice] we don't take kindly to your type around these parts, varmit!

Bump for Saturday's round of disappointment

nothing in today's mail, either. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i'm getting tired of looking, you know? i'm starting to not care anymore... :thumbdown:

Yup, no love from the mailman today.
and, no mail on Sundays.

...the depression deepens :scared:

The fact that I don't have a vandy secondary makes me want to go there even more. If they wait too much longer, I'll be sold.

Yeah I've stopped waiting for the Vandy invite/rejection now too.

hey guys, chillax! I only got my Vandy interview request in mid October! I interviewed November, and was put on hold...after months of waiting I got in April and then ended up turning them down to stay in the sunshine of Cali. Just a quick note on Vandy. Whatever you guys think of Nashville, TN, it is probably all wrong. I went there, and had a blast with the MSI I stayed with. He took me out to some bars, introduced me to other MSI's. They even took me to class with them before my interview the next day and made sure I sat by them and gave me breakfast at the students lounge. Vanderbilt is a great great place, just have patience.
PS. The interview isn't as important here as other schools. They really look for research and grades/mcat here. Research is important bc the new med class (2008) is required to do research there!
GOODLUCK ALL!

Originally Posted by Dr Turninkoff
The fact that I don't have a vandy secondary makes me want to go there even more. If they wait too much longer, I'll be sold.
man, that's so weird. that's exactly how i feel! its like that episode of south park where cartman buys that theme park no one goes to, but then he won't let anyone in and it becomes the coolest place in town! damn!

hey guys, chillax! I only got my Vandy interview request in mid October! I interviewed November, and was put on hold...after months of waiting I got in April and then ended up turning them down to stay in the sunshine of Cali. Just a quick note on Vandy. Whatever you guys think of Nashville, TN, it is probably all wrong. I went there, and had a blast with the MSI I stayed with. He took me out to some bars, introduced me to other MSI's. They even took me to class with them before my interview the next day and made sure I sat by them and gave me breakfast at the students lounge. Vanderbilt is a great great place, just have patience.
well, of course people get in late. when was your AMCAS processed? i'd be pretty pissed if i was processed when i was (first week of july) and they waited 4 months (like your november date) to interview me.

PS. The interview isn't as important here as other schools. They really look for research and grades/mcat here. Research is important bc the new med class (2008) is required to do research there!
ok, this is EXACTLY what bothers me. i have lots o' research (w/ pubs, etc.) and my grades/MCAT are just fine. the way people on this board talk about vandy, it sounds like they're looking for my profile! :laugh:

now, i've failed an awful lot in my life, and it really doesn't bother me anymore as long as i know WHY i failed. when i can't figure out why something went the way it did, it bugs the piss out of me! if vandy emailed me and said "sorry, but we hate people from ohio," i'd be like, "oh, that's cool, see ya around." but no, i am confused. :oops:

PS: i know i'm crazy, please don't point it out. :p

EDIT: ok, i just re-read this post, and it sounds really whiny and irrational (hey, i went to be at 4:30 AM, cut me some slack). disregard! ;)

superdevil said:
man, that's so weird. that's exactly how i feel! its like that episode of south park where cartman buys that theme park no one goes to, but then he won't let anyone in and it becomes the coolest place in town! damn!

well, of course people get in late. when was your AMCAS processed? i'd be pretty pissed if i was processed when i was (first week of july) and they waited 4 months (like your november date) to interview me.

ok, this is EXACTLY what bothers me. i have lots o' research (w/ pubs, etc.) and my grades/MCAT are just fine. the way people on this board talk about vandy, it sounds like they're looking for my profile! :laugh:

now, i've failed an awful lot in my life, and it really doesn't bother me anymore as long as i know WHY i failed. when i can't figure out why something went the way it did, it bugs the piss out of me! if vandy emailed me and said "sorry, but we hate people from ohio," i'd be like, "oh, that's cool, see ya around." but no, i am confused. :oops:

PS: i know i'm crazy, please don't point it out. :p

EDIT: ok, i just re-read this post, and it sounds really whiny and irrational (hey, i went to be at 4:30 AM, cut me some slack). disregard! ;)
Would you like a little cheese with your WHINE....

just kidding...I feel the same way....them not wanting me makes me want them....or something like that....*sigh* no mail on sundays...

Bump for Monday...

and a new week of angst and anticipation...

The mailman didn't show me any Vandy love today. :(

Maybe tomorrow she'll give me lots of Vandy lovin'...

Here's a toast to hoping for tomorrow:

IS005-037.jpg

Anyone wanna toast with me?

Jason

whats up everyone. just letting you all know there is still hope for the vanderbilt interview invite. i just got mine today in the mail (8/9). i live in the los angeles area. yay!

dr45sdn said:
whats up everyone. just letting you all know there is still hope for the vanderbilt interview invite. i just got mine today in the mail (8/9). i live in the los angeles area. yay!

I almost didn't want to know that. Now I'll be all agitated til I can go home and check my mail...

Originally Posted by dr45sdn
i'm quite happy for you, yet, at the same time, crippled with a festering jealously that boils from a black pit deep within my dead soul.

congrats :)

dr45sdn said:

Was the date on that letter 27 July?
That seems to be the date on the others people have received.
Just wondering if they've done another round of screening.
I was verified on the 27th, so probably didn't make the first round.

Thanks.