Anybody take the MCAT 3 times & get into a U.S. medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursuing MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone out there take the MCAT 3 times before being admitted into a U.S. medical school? I've heard taking it a 3rd time is looked down upon by medical schools...?

Members don't see this ad.

I took it three times and I got 4 acceptances this year! I think it may be looked down upon in certain situations, but in my situation, my score went up 11 points from my first take and 9 points from my second so it only helped me!
Dana

I have a friend here who took it 3 times and got into 3 schools. I guess 3 is her lucky number :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in after three times. My score went up 9 points from the first time I took it. It can be done!! :)

dlc and aka-jolopycat, what did you guys do different from your other attempts to go up so much? Did you change your studying or prep materials? Or was your initial score just fairly easy to improve?

So...I guess you have your answer. Study your butt off, take lots of practice test, and take the MCAT for a third time next April (I think you need more time to improve, so don't take it this august). Good Luck!