Anybody taken the GRE before?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to take the GRE test for some of the MD/PhD programs and I'm wondering how hard others thought it was.

From the practice tests that I have, it doesnt seem too bad, significantly easier than the MCAT. The only thing that I'm worried a little about is the verbal section. It seems like the antonym and analogies have all kinds of abstract words that nobody would have ever heard of before unless they have a PhD in English or spend all day reading all the old classics in English literature.

Alot of the grad schools dont give actual GRE averages, but instead give percentile ranges for accepted applicants, usually above 90%.

What score corresponds roughly to the 90th percentile? I cant find any info about this on their website.

Members don't see this ad.

I took it. It wasn't bad. The math is really pretty easy. For the verbal, I got a study guide and went through the vocab list in the back. Any word I didn't immediately know, I wrote on a flashcard. Then I carried these around with me for a couple of months and looked at them when I had a spare moment (boring class, on the bus, while eating, etc).

The analytical section was kind of tough only because there isn't enough time to do all the problems. I'd say practice that section timed.

Definitely easier than the MCAT. Much, much easier.

HTH,

Pam

In my opinion...the GRE was a walk in the park compared to the MCAT. My opinions are based on the fact that I'd rather have dental work or give birth to triplets than take the MCAT again. (Thank the Lord that I will never have to again)

But hey...maybe its just me. :D
beakerbetty

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard the same things as the above poster, but the subject GRE is a different story....

there are also GRE subject tests, baylor. I looked at some of the physics ones, and they just seemed like the typical stuff you do in undergrad classes, not that hard at all.

If you can do the MCAT, the GRE is nothing. The analytical has some weird stuff on it, so I'd recommend getting a book to review. They're mostly logic-based questions, so once you get the hang of them, it's smooth-sailing. You just need to know what to expect.

The subject tests can be a nightmare though.

Andrew

Originally posted by ajr:
•If you can do the MCAT, the GRE is nothing. The analytical has some weird stuff on it, so I'd recommend getting a book to review. They're mostly logic-based questions, so once you get the hang of them, it's smooth-sailing. You just need to know what to expect.

The subject tests can be a nightmare though.

Andrew•

Luckily none of the programs I'm applying to require a subject test so I'm just going to take the general test.

I thought about taking the engineering subtest, but I heard it was pretty tough. I just got done taking the statewide Texas FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam so this should be my last standardized test for at least a couple of years.

I took the GRE quite some time ago, but I have to say I studied harder for the MCAT.

That said, I just died when I not only didn't know the word pair in the question, but I also didn't know some of the word pairs in the answers! It almost made me laugh out loud during the exam.

I LOVED the analytic section. That was the most fun for me.

I took the GRE several years ago and thought it was a piece of cake compared to the MCAT. I just took one practice test to familiarize myself with the format- other than that, I didn't study at all, had to drive 80 miles to the nearest test site, and took it during the middle of final exam week. Despite all that, I managed to score in the 700's. It's basically just like the SAT- high school math and vocab, reading comp, etc.- with the addition of the Analytical section. For the Verbal, you'll probably want to review some high-yield GRE word lists and practice doing analogies, antonyms, and sentence completions. If I recall correctly, the reading passages on the GRE are easier than on the MCAT and there are fewer of them. If you don't remember much high school math, you will want to review some basic algebra, geometry, and trig. I had a lot of fun with the analytical section, too- I thought this was by far the easiest section. But definitely practice a few of those question types before you take the test. Good luck!

I took the GRE in February. I studied for a month. I got 740 quantitative (85th percentile), 740 analytical (93rd percentile), and 650 verbal (92nd percentile). I used this sweet kaplan cd rom to study. It basically doubled my scores from my diagnostic test.

I took the Gre in December 2000 it was easy. Spend the $50 and buy the Kaplan Gre Review Book but make sure the book comes with the CD-Rom. It has great practice tests and great games for building your vocab.

I took the GRE three years ago for Ph.D., I got 600V (80%), 780Math (95%), 700Logic (90), I got into virtually all grad programs except MIT. I am studying my butt off for the MCAT right now, all the practice tests yielded about 28-31... MCAT is way way way tougher than GRE.

Hi Baylor, Vader etc,
Which MD/Phd programs required you to take the GRE?
Thanks

Originally posted by rositalola:
•Hi Baylor, Vader etc,
Which MD/Phd programs required you to take the GRE?
Thanks•

None of the ones I applied to. :D