karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
So i'm registered to take my comlex and usmle June 5th-7th, and have been preparing accordingly. according to practice exams and combanks, i'll be more than fine on the comlex....and i'm not gunning for a DO residency, so as long as i'm around the mean , i'm not too concerned with my score.

on the other hand, i'm really concerned with how good my usmle score is. though i am 'passing' my practice nbme's and other practice exams, my score is 25-30 points away from where i want to be. biochem and pharm education was VERY weak at my school and i'm just not up to par on these topics yet...

with 8 weeks of school left, multiple cumulative finals, research , papers to write, and only 2 weeks off before the exams, i'm thinking of pushing back the usmle test date until late fall.

i've got 5weeks 'off' for vacation and an easy outpatient 5 week rotation at the end of summer/early fall...i was thinking of taking this time to study hardcore and take my usmle in the late fall, with 10 or so intense weeks of studying and prep...

has anyone else thought about pushing their test date back?

Igor4sugry

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
Status
I have always adhered to the rule that taking the test at a later date does not increase the score. Some med school did a study on this, and First Aid talks about it in the beginning pages.

I really think that right now is the most we are going to remember for the USMLE. I think once we are done with class, information will leave exponentially fast in terms of USMLE type knowledge.

So I would not push back that date.

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I have always adhered to the rule that taking the test at a later date does not increase the score. Some med school did a study on this, and First Aid talks about it in the beginning pages.

I really think that right now is the most we are going to remember for the USMLE. I think once we are done with class, information will leave exponentially fast in terms of USMLE type knowledge.

So I would not push back that date.

i know where you're coming from. however, our school's pass rate on the usmle was barely 70% last year, it was horrific. of those that passed, i think less than half even scored anywhere near the mean.

the number 1 complaint was lack of prep during classes and lack of time to prepare. the way i looked at it was with 10 weeks to study later independently, i'd have a better shot of doing 'well' than rushing into it now....

Bitsy

10+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
So i'm registered to take my comlex and usmle June 5th-7th, and have been preparing accordingly. according to practice exams and combanks, i'll be more than fine on the comlex....and i'm not gunning for a DO residency, so as long as i'm around the mean , i'm not too concerned with my score.

on the other hand, i'm really concerned with how good my usmle score is. though i am 'passing' my practice nbme's and other practice exams, my score is 25-30 points away from where i want to be. biochem and pharm education was VERY weak at my school and i'm just not up to par on these topics yet...

with 8 weeks of school left, multiple cumulative finals, research , papers to write, and only 2 weeks off before the exams, i'm thinking of pushing back the usmle test date until late fall.

i've got 5weeks 'off' for vacation and an easy outpatient 5 week rotation at the end of summer/early fall...i was thinking of taking this time to study hardcore and take my usmle in the late fall, with 10 or so intense weeks of studying and prep...

has anyone else thought about pushing their test date back?
I would warn against pushing your test back that far. The farther you are away from the material (aka 1st & 2nd year), the more you forget. A lot of what you are studying for now would have to be restudied in the late fall as you forget it by the time you restarted studying. I don't think you're gaining much if any and stand to lose knowledge that currently is still somewhat fresh in your head from end of 2nd year.

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
i guess i have 6 weeks to study as much as i can. if i'm not scoring 225+ by june i likely wont take the test, as a subpar score will hurt more than help me...especially now that acgme residencies require disclosing usmle scores if we took the test.

i guess worst case i can apply with a comlex 1 + usmle step 2

Bitsy

10+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I agree that a subpar USMLE score would hurt, so don't take the test if you're not ready. I just wouldn't plan on taking it that late and expect to do any better. Once you get into the whirlwind of rotations, you will forget a lot of the pre-clinical information you learn 1st and 2nd year. 6 weeks is still A LOT of time to boost your score. Put the pedal to the metal and you'll likely be ready. Good luck! USMLE World is awesome along with First Aid :)

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I agree that a subpar USMLE score would hurt, so don't take the test if you're not ready. I just wouldn't plan on taking it that late and expect to do any better. Once you get into the whirlwind of rotations, you will forget a lot of the pre-clinical information you learn 1st and 2nd year. 6 weeks is still A LOT of time to boost your score. Put the pedal to the metal and you'll likely be ready. Good luck! USMLE World is awesome along with First Aid :)
thanks for the feedback! =) i've only done a prelim run through of first aid and am just starting to memorize the concepts now on my 2nd pass. done about 30% of uworld so i hope by the time i'm done with all this my score improves,

ps, i agree, uworld and fa are the best learning tools!

Old_Mil

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
Earth
Status
Attending Physician
If all you've done is a Combank, yes, push the test date back. While USMLE world is more than adequate to prep for Comlex, a Combank is not enough to prepare you for the USMLE which is a much harder exam.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
4-6 weeks of full time study should be good. More than that you will probably get diminishing returns. 10 weeks for a US student is a little overkill. Also you want a break before 3rd year.

I'd recommend not taking Comlex and USMLE so close together. You may get burned out after the first one and may need a few days off.

To prep, most people on SDN recommend getting USMLE world, studying goljian RR, BRS phys, MMRS + HY behavioral if you are weak on behavioral/statistics + FA for those subjects and then everything else you can use FA alone for. Do Uworld questions for a few hours at night (every night) and go thorugh FA 1-2x the week before and that should get you a good score.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
Oh and I used both U world and Elsevier's question bank in the beginning...

Elsevier had a lot of gimme questions. While it is probably closer in terms of difficulty to the real thing, I stopped using it after a few weeks because I didn't feel it was as good as USMLE world. If you have a ton of time, perhaps mixing the 2 up would be good but if you are only going to be able to get through 1 Q-bank, I'd put my money on USMLE world.