Anybody thinking of doing something besides clinical medicine after medical school/residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chlorophyll Oracle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot lately about it and I think it would be nice to have a back up plan in case clinical medicine isn't how I want it to be. I've read about MDs transitioning to a business/consulting role and would like to know some more about that/how to get into that. Clinical medicine is still my goal but I don't want to not have a plan B. You never know how the medical landscape will be in 20 years and its always a good idea to know what your options are in case you need to pivot careers. And if there are any steps I can take as an M2 to make myself more marketable down the road I'd be happy to do them

Members don't see this ad.

With it being a few days from ERAS submission day, this doesn't sound half bad.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't really considered it as a primary route but more of something that may be an option depending on the state of medicine in the next couple of years. I have a friend who completed residency and a fellowship and decided to do consulting after and hes happy with his decision. haven't picked his brain as to why he made the choice but Im interested to see his side.

I've been thinking a lot lately about it and I think it would be nice to have a back up plan in case clinical medicine isn't how I want it to be. I've read about MDs transitioning to a business/consulting role and would like to know some more about that/how to get into that. Clinical medicine is still my goal but I don't want to not have a plan B. You never know how the medical landscape will be in 20 years and its always a good idea to know what your options are in case you need to pivot careers. And if there are any steps I can take as an M2 to make myself more marketable down the road I'd be happy to do them

Aye, you can do a lot with an MD.

There's always research be it either clinical or not. I know a few MDs that hated patient contact and are now working with organoids or animal models.

I worked as a consultant for a big genetics lab for a while but now i'm doing a Residency/PhD in a different field.

A friend of mine went into biomedical engineering. He already got really good offers in industry just waiting for him to finish his engineering degree.

I know somebody that went into veterinary school after she got her MD. Two guys that went the MD/MBA route and now have a steadily growing start-up.

I always wondered how people got into ethical comitees. Going for further training in bioethics would have been cool

I think many non-clinical options are underrated.