Anybody thought they'd actually have to reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here think the first time around they might end up reapplying? I sure as hell didn't. It's kind of frustrating when all your friends are all about to start, and you have to go threw the whole process all over again. Granted, I believe with all my heart that they deserved their acceptances and couldn't be happier for them, but is it so wrong to wish that I was starting with them too? Sure everything happens for a reason, and in the grand scheme of things, what's an extra year or two, but it's just frustrating.

Members don't see this ad.

musiclink213 said:
Did anyone here think the first time around they might end up reapplying? I sure as hell didn't. It's kind of frustrating when all your friends are all about to start, and you have to go threw the whole process all over again. Granted, I believe with all my heart that they deserved their acceptances and couldn't be happier for them, but is it so wrong to wish that I was starting with them too? Sure everything happens for a reason, and in the grand scheme of things, what's an extra year or two, but it's just frustrating.

Ditto. I didn't expect to necessarily get into the most competitive schools on my list, but I thought I would at least get in somewhere, even off of a waitlist, but even those aren't materializing because waitlists are slow for everyone this year. And ya, I am happy for my friends too, but I wish I could be going with them. :-(

I am currently on waitlists too, and I am having a hard time focusing on new applications. I keep thinking that one phone call will make all the difference... is anyone distracted like me? I sometimes wish that I had been rejected at once instead of having shreds of hope trailing all summer. How should I go on? Being on waitlists really sucks because I feel that I am so close and yet not there yet. Any helpful advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
musiclink213 said:
I went to engineering college, so I didn't have to suffer through seeing too many people 'pass me up.' Those few who I worked with and were accepted while I stayed behind...I'll say it - I thought that I would have made a better doc than they. I thought that I deserved the spot more than they. So I ended up feeling (and rightfully so) very envious and frustrated.

If I could to go back and do it over, I'd do a bunch of things differently, especially with my first time applying. I shouldn't have even applied then, and I my time would have been better spent planning out my next step. But it's only in hindsight that you can say those things.

Yes & No.
What I didn't think was that I'd have to re-take the MCAT.
Especially not 3x.
Once my scores came in in late October, I figured my previously submitted applications were mostly going to be rejected and I'd have to re-apply. Even though they claim it's about more than just your scores, it isn't really.

ive got "reapplicant" written all over me hehe. but im applying this cycle just to get some practice with the procedure.... and maybe there is like 0.0001% chance that i get in somewhere.... lets see :)

Orthodoc40 said:
Yes & No.
Especially not 3x.
Once my scores came in in late October, I figured my previously submitted applications were mostly going to be rejected and I'd have to re-apply. Even though they claim it's about more than just your scores, it isn't really.

it's funny that they claim that. i used to believe it :(

MissCutie said:
it's funny that they claim that. i used to believe it :(

It seems to be one of those things where it is true, but only until you get a certain score. Once you get that score they want, THEN it is "only part of the picture of a full applicant". Yes, but, that means your score matters more - hello people?!! Oh well. :sleep:

I thought I'd be in by now. I got a 37 (14P 12V 11B) on the MCAT and I thought that'd get me in the first time. Three years later I'm looking at having to retake the MCAT. At least I interviewed at multiple schoolds this year.

drhuntzzz said:
I thought I'd be in by now. I got a 37 (14P 12V 11B) on the MCAT and I thought that'd get me in the first time. Three years later I'm looking at having to retake the MCAT. At least I interviewed at multiple schoolds this year.

WHAT!! You got a 37 on the MCAT and have to reapply...that's crazy to me. Did you only apply to Ivy League schools? Seems like schools would be drugging you and dragging you to their schools. Well good luck on the re-app I'm sure that you're going to get in. Like someone said earlier...things happen for a reason and in the grad scheme of things you going to come off better :D

today was the last day for my schools to take me off their waitlists... so I guess it's official... I'm a reapplicant... i really thought i'd get in somewhere... GPA 3.5... MCAT 32... good EC's... good LOR's... my confidence is gone... i'm already feeling like I won't get in this second time around.

OhtheSilliness said:
today was the last day for my schools to take me off their waitlists... so I guess it's official... I'm a reapplicant... i really thought i'd get in somewhere... GPA 3.5... MCAT 32... good EC's... good LOR's... my confidence is gone... i'm already feeling like I won't get in this second time around.

With those stats, you really should figure out what happened. Do you have good interview skills? Was your PS well written and unique? How balanced was your MCAT? Getting a 15, 15, and 2 doesn't look too good, even though the overall sounds good. Just throwing a few things out there. Have you tried contacting the schools that waitlisted you or rejected you to see what you need to improve upon? Anyways, :luck: :luck: :luck: this time around.

I thought that 2006 might have been it for me. I brushed up the scores, the ECs but nothing. AMCAS is taking my money again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortuneately I have no friends :( , so if I end up reapplying, it won't be that hard for me to go through the process again.

VCOMLover said:
WHAT!! You got a 37 on the MCAT and have to reapply...that's crazy to me. Did you only apply to Ivy League schools? Seems like schools would be drugging you and dragging you to their schools. Well good luck on the re-app I'm sure that you're going to get in. Like someone said earlier...things happen for a reason and in the grad scheme of things you going to come off better :D

Can you tell me where these schools are? Getting drugged sound pretty good right now.

I will be a re-applicant for the 2007 cycle. I am hoping that I can get off the waitlist. But as the first day gets closer and closer, the chances of that happening aer getting smaller and smaller. I don't want to go through the process all over again. although i have submitted my AMCAS- but i am willing to lose that money.
I want WVU to call me up and tell me that I am in. that would make me the happiest person in the world.

I am reapplying too. I think I wish I had applied to more schools the first time around, even ones that on paper I thought I wouldn't like. The schools I thought I would like I ended up hating when I interviewed, and the one that sounded the worst on paper turned out to be my favorite in person. I definitely never thought I would be reapplying, but if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me I will consider myself lucky. I wish us all good luck, and I sure we will all get in to schools we like this time. Thank goodness for this support group on SDN though :)

SalseraDoctora said:
I am reapplying too. I think I wish I had applied to more schools the first time around, even ones that on paper I thought I wouldn't like. The schools I thought I would like I ended up hating when I interviewed, and the one that sounded the worst on paper turned out to be my favorite in person. I definitely never thought I would be reapplying, but if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me I will consider myself lucky. I wish us all good luck, and I sure we will all get in to schools we like this time. Thank goodness for this support group on SDN though :)

My motto for choosing schools this year is, "Well, it's better than moving to Grenada!" :oops:

Orthodoc40 said:
My motto for choosing schools this year is, "Well, it's better than moving to Grenada!" :oops:

Exactly! I would rather move to Upstate New York than go to Dominica :D

SalseraDoctora said:
Exactly! I would rather move to Upstate New York than go to Dominica :D

LOL!!
Yah, or just about ANYwhere in the US... That's why my above motto for school choosing this year!

Hey everyone, fellow reapplicant here. I know the feeling of everyone around you getting in. I was surrounded by people constantly verbalizing how hard it was to decide between Columbia and UCLA or UCSF and Harvard while I was praying to get off of two not nearly as competitive wait lists. Hang in there guys.

I recommend taking an extra year and not reapplying right away. That way you can get some quality research or clinical experience or whatever your lacking in your first app. Then when it comes time to reapply it's a lot easier to sell yourself. I haven't been accepted or anything yet, I'm reapplying right now but it's already going so much better than the first time.

And seriously, I'm glad I ended up having time between undergrad and entering medical school. Most of my friends are big giant stress balls and wish they would have taken time off like most of the people in their class. Just my two cents.

I thought that I would get in somewhere esp afterr one of my interviewers told me I had a really good chance and now that school is beginning their first week and I am still sitting on the waitlist. But I applied to many schools as MD/MPH. So now I am going to work on my MPH and then reapply. As time gets closer for me to start MPH classes, I am more excited and glad I choose to do this degree first. It will be a nice change from intense science but still related to medicine and I think that I will do better once I start med school. If you had asked me this a year ago my answer would have been completely opposite. I think the year off between application cycles will make me a better person and better applicant with more confidense when it comes time to try again. Good luck to those of you in the 2007 cycle.

drhuntzzz said:

I don't know anything about you, but I do know that you should NOT be taking the MCAT again. Your score is excellent, that is not what is keeping you out of medical school (I'm a forth year but unless things have changed since I got in, your score is competitive)

Get some honest feedback from someone looking at your whole application-- is it your grades, lack of extracurrics, less than stellar LORs, poor interview technique??? I don't know but you should find out, and focus your energy improving the true deficiencies in your application, not trying to improve on an already strong MCAT.

I sure as hell didn't think I'd do as badly last cycle as I did.(Applied to 10 schools and didn't even get any interviews. What's worse that's actually the least of my bad luck from the past year. I admit my undergrad scores are horrible but that's 12+ years ago. I did quite well on my premed courses I took post bacc.) Unfortunately when I bothered to ask the majority of the schools what's wrong with my app most just took the 5th.(They basically said go talk to your premed advisor. Gee, like I wouldn't have thought of doing that until they told me to do it. LizzyM and REL gave me some pointers though so at least I got some help.)

Doc Ivy said:
I don't know anything about you, but I do know that you should NOT be taking the MCAT again. Your score is excellent, that is not what is keeping you out of medical school (I'm a forth year but unless things have changed since I got in, your score is competitive)

Get some honest feedback from someone looking at your whole application-- is it your grades, lack of extracurrics, less than stellar LORs, poor interview technique??? I don't know but you should find out, and focus your energy improving the true deficiencies in your application, not trying to improve on an already strong MCAT.

From the statement about three years later it souns like the scores will not be valid soon

Doc Ivy said:

i think the mcat score expired :confused:

musiclink213 said:

I was pretty sure I'd have to, yes. But I hoped otherwise. :oops:

Orthodoc40 said:
Yes & No.
Especially not 3x.

Actually, it really depends on the school. I'm a reapplicant and I got a P=15 V=7 B=12 W=Q on my MCAT. I knew my score sucked ass but I didn't think the schools would be too harsh on me, especially since my overall score is a 34Q. Apparently, a lot of scores didn't like my verbal so they rejected me. However, some schools still gave me interviews and Wake Forest and UCSD both said that they've accepted people with lower Verbal scores. All it really says it that I like scientific reading and don't do much pleasure reading, which is true (I read the Da Vinci Code tho :) )

I had a 3.86 GPA BioE major at Berkeley, pretty good LORs, decent EC, good personal statement, etc.. I really thought I should have gotten in this year and I still feel a little robbed. However, I called up schools where I got interviews and places where I didn't. They're explanation was pretty legitimate I suppose, some of my interviews were only average and my EC was decent but I didn't do years of it compared to others. There are certainly areas where I could have improved. I am applying this year again after last year's cycle because I feel that I did a lot of stuff in the past year during the 2005-2006 application year and I also just retook the MCATs, so hopefully my score will be more balanced.

I think the things that hurt most about reapplying is that you know there must be someone in the US who got into med school who really didn't deserve it more than you or is going to drop out after a year because he/she can't handle it. Also, all that money that went into the first application is wasted :-(.

I'm suprised you aren't in now too. What was your GPA, if you don't mind me asking?

And what were your EC's winthug? I can't believe you didn't get in with that.

view it not as failure, but as an opportunity, another chance for success, and make the most of it; use it in your favor.