Anybody took MCAT in august and got in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,Anybody took MCAT in August and got in?

I just feel that I am not ready for April test...too many things to do.

I also scared about August because I heard that it is better to take test in April for various reasons.

Please post your opinion....

Members don't see this ad.

many....Good score is much more important than when you take it.

Sure...lots of people take the August test and get in. The problem with August is that it severely delays your application. Most schools won't even look at your app until your scores come in mid-October. By then, some of the April folks will already have interviews and acceptances at the rolling schools. For non-rolling schools, it won't make much of a difference. However, be prepared to have interviews very late in the season. You probably won't get any interviews during the fall semester if you take the August test, so make sure you have plenty of time to interview in the winter and spring.

The important thing is that you said you don't feel ready for the April test. If that's true, wait until August! You'll have more time to study over the summer, and you'll probably feel less stressed out about it. It's never good to go into a test feeling unprepared, especially one that's as important, long, and difficult as the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will put you at a disadvantage at rolling admission schools. The worst that can happen is they reject you and you re-apply next year, which will leave you on the same timetable as waiting till the next April for the MCAT.

BTW, I got in w/ an August MCAT.

Thank you all...I decided to take it in August.

I took it in April and did alright, but was somewhat disappointed with my score, so I retook the MCAT in August. One thing that bothered me is that the AAMC did not process my AMCAS applicatin until the results of the August test were back in even though my April scores had posted. It does delay your application to wait until August. However, while I was waiting in AAMC limbo, I called up the medical schools and sent them a copy of my April exam. Although, not official, they said that they would take it at face value until my proof-of-score information arrived.

I would encourage you to try to take the test in April if at all possible. However, if you think that you are not ready, you should wait until fall. Don't take it twice like me if you don't have to. I didn't have time to study properly for the April exam. Best of luck.

I took the August MCAT and got in to all the schools I applied to. It didn't hinder me at all. Just my $0.02.