Jattdoc

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Hi, I just wanted to know if anybody has used this paticular series along with other preparatory material (First Aid, Kaplan, etc) . Ideas, thoughts, comments...thanks

GCS:3

Allegheny grad
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Status
Attending Physician
I used the UCV books, along with Q-Bank, BRS Path, BRS Phys, Lippincott Pharm, and First Aid. I feel like the UCV's were good for typical presentations of some diseases, and great for cramming the buzzwords. However, I don't know if they're worth the $17-20 each considering the relatively low volume of material. Definitely get First Aid, though. I doubt anyone will tell you otherwise.

Airborne

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2002
East Coast
Visit site
Status
I agree.

I was fotunate to get UCV cheap from the year above me ($5 a piece), used them throughout 2nd year during systems (They were OK to bone up for clinically based questions on system's exams).

As far as the boards, I think the biochem UCVs were the best, as you get some sort of clinical picture of all those glycogen storage diseases, etc. which are definitely high yield for Step I.

Oh yeah, I sold them after I was done for $5 a piece, too! So getting them 2nd hand is the way to go!

Airborne

Scarlet_Fire

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2002
Status
I used these, but not as a primary source for reviewing. These were nice to, as stated before, offer a clinical presentation to some otherwise obscure genetic diseases. Most people I spoke to who used UCV's, likewise, did not use them as a primary source. I think that the costs are a little outrageous, so if you can find used ones or even the previous edition (which I used), this should be sufficient.

If you buy the entire bundle of the new edition, you also get a free, otherwise unavailable color atlas. I checked this out from a colleague who bought this new series; my impression is that you probably do not need to buy this just to obtain this atlas book. (Apparently, this atlas is not for purchase from Blackwell Publishers unless you buy the whole set as a bundle.) Most of the images, including many high-yield pathology slides, are on par with the images in Robbins' Pathology.

About the Ads