1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody want to be an anesthesiologist? why?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by smokinjoe, Nov 27, 2001.

1. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member
    7+ Year Member

just want some feedback on where some see their medical careers going and why.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrHope30

DrHope30 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hoping to go in emergency medicine specializing in pediatrics or just a pediatrician, not sure which. I know, not as much money in these fields, but I was involved in car accident when I was younger and feel somewhat indebted to the profession. Just my 2 cents!

4. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i want to be a surgeon b/c i like working with my hands and have good fine motor skills. (not too sure for fine brain skills though)
    :)

5. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member
    7+ Year Member

Orthopedic surgeon or Emergency medicine. Orthopedic Surgeon- I like to work with my hands and wiht tools to build, fix, and repair things (bones and joints).
    Emergency Medicine- Fits my personality well. I'm laid-back and don't get real worked up in real sketchy situations. The hours are not bad either.

6. praying mantis

praying mantis Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Reproductive endocrinology ... I just love hormones :)

7. gobears

gobears Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Both of my parents are anesthesiologists and they seem to like it a lot. Personally, I'm not sure what I want to do. I'll probably figure that out during my 3rd year.

Being an anesthesiologist is tough if you want to raise a family. You're always on call or at the hospital, so your kids turn out all weird from the lack of parenting. :p

Seriously though, it's a good field. You make a lot of sacrifices, but it's rewarding. Then again, you could probably say that about almost any field.

8. Badgerbabe

Badgerbabe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

HI gobears,
    I think it's interesting that you say that, since one of the things I have heard about anesthesiology is that it affords a better lifestyle than some other specialties. I suppose that would depend on what you are looking for in a lifestyle, and maybe where you practice, too.
    I actually work in the dept. of anesthesiology at a local hospital, and the docs really seem to enjoy what they do. I know residents getting job offers worth big, big bucks, too. All depends on what you're looking for out of life, I guess, but since this field does interest me, would you mind sharing more detail on your parents' schedules?
    Thanks! Shannon

9. this really sux!!!

I wanted to go into orthopedics, and a medical student friend of mine, said

"I hate to burst ur bubble watcha, but short guyz can't be orthopedics...you need to be strong enough to do physical labor with the bones and joints"...whatever that means.... :rolleyes:

snif snif snif :(

10. Weeble

Weeble Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

awww don' worry watcha, you can do eet, just hit the weight room!

While it's true that many orthos are of the big n' burly persuasion, bein tall taint the be all and end all. I saw a great special featuring this teeny 5'3" woman ortho doing an ACL repair, (albeit surrounded by all her hulking residents.) :D The real kicker was that when she came out to talk to the family about how the surgery went, they asked when the doctor would be coming out to speak with them! :oops: :oops: :oops: She had a pretty good sense of humor about it though.

11. lady in red

7+ Year Member

So here are some stereotypes about some kinds of doctors:
    orthopedic surgeons=jocks
    Plastic surgeons=just beautiful
    Neurosurgeons=nerds
    pediatricians=good natured
    pathologists=...i guess they know the human body like no one else?
    i just heard those descriptions from a classmate;
    not intended to be serious...any others? :)

12. Weeble

Weeble Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

oo, fun!

psychiatrists=a wee bit mad themselves
    orthopedic surgeons=jocks
    Plastic surgeons=just beautiful
    Neurosurgeons=nerds
    Neurologists=bigger nerds
    pediatricians=good natured
    pathologists=...i guess they know the human body like no one else?

13. lady in red

7+ Year Member

Weeble, how about this one:
    Psychiatrists--are doctors who go to strip clubs and watch the audience :)

14. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Anesthesiologists are all by far the COOLEST doctors I have met! Most laid back, most fun, best hours, etc etc etc.

It was actually my top choice for a specialty until I heard about an act that was passed just recently which is going to cut back on almost all the MD's jobs in anesthesiology!!

Orthopedic surgeons = COCKY but cool
    Anesthesiologists = Totally cool and laid back and great people to talk to!!!
    Pediatricians = Nicest people on planet (unless they are in some sort of specialty within pediatrics..then they think they are the $hit)

I think the major 2 problems with Anesthesiology right now are:
    1) Insurance malpractice and all that stuff...as one of these guys, you have to have something like 200K just in insurance to cover your arse..
    2) The jobs available for them are decreasing rapidly because of new legislation which allows NP's and others to put a patient out without an MD in the room.

So...yea...
    Other than that...the guys I have seen and worked with are the best and I would have loved to go into that specialty! :)

15. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry don't have any jokes about different types of physicians and their personalities, but I though I'd share this:

A local law enforcement officer stops a car for traveling faster than the posted speed limit. Since he's in a good mood that day he decides to give the poor fellow a break and write him out a warning instead of a ticket. So, he asks the man his name.

"Fred," he replies.

"Fred what?" the officer asks.

"Just Fred," the man responds.

When the officer presses him for a last name, the man tells him that he used to have a last name but lost it. The officer thinks he has a nutcase on his hands but plays along with it. "Tell me Fred, how did you lose your last name?"

The man replies, "It's a long story so stay with me. I was born Fred Dingaling. I know, funny last name. The kids used to tease me all the time. So I stayed to myself. I studied hard and got good grades. When I got older I realized that I wanted to be a doctor. I went through college, medical school, internship, residency, finally got my degree so I was Fred Dingaling, MD.

"After a while I got bored being a doctor so I decided to go back to school. Dentistry was my dream. Got all the way through school, got my degree so I was now Fred Dingaling MD DDS. Got bored doing dentistry so I started fooling around with my assistant. She gave me VD. So, I was Fred Dingaling MD DDS with VD.

"Well, the ADA found out about the VD so they took away my DDS so I was Fred Dingaling MD with VD. Then the AMA found out about the ADA taking away my DDS because of the VD, so they took away my MD leaving me as Fred Dingaling with VD.

"Then the VD took away my dingaling so now I'm just Fred."

The officer let him go without even a warning.