Anybody watch the premed nova special on PBS?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nateholbrook, Jun 22, 2001.

1. nateholbrook

nateholbrook New Member

A couple of months ago on PBS they had a special on five or six harvard med school students and their experiences going through med school and residency. What did you guys thinks of it? I am looking to buy some tapes of it but don't know where to look. Anyone know where you could buy some? I saw the first episode and it was awsome, there is nothing like seeing what you are working towards on tape, it's a real drive booster. I think that it will either make you want to go to med school more, or give up. It makes me want to go even more. Later

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pete.

pete. Member

it was a NOVA program - i think you may be able to find a link at pbs.org.

it was very cool - good insight.

4. pete.

pete. Member

5. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

You should check your local public library. Many carry these PBS tapes. I'm getting ready to start on the "Civil War" series, and it's FREE !!!!

6. SeeGulz

SeeGulz Senior Member

In case you can't remember the title, it is Survivor MD. I caught only one of the aired programs, but I bought the tapes. Perhaps after the august MCAT, I will have time to watch them :(

7. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    I watched this program long time ago,.... know a few of those med students now docs were with a significant other or married... How many of them are still with the same person?

Just wondering.... thanks :D

8. SeeGulz

SeeGulz Senior Member

In the only installment I have seen so far, two doctors (male) married women of different professions. Neither one worked out, and I believe both failed because of the hours involved in residency.

9. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks.... anyone else remember?! :cool:

10. fuzzysocks

fuzzysocks Member

in the end, i think three male docs ended up divorcees. (but one of them had a history of divorces prior to med school. the biker, i think.) hey, i know this is off the subject, but didn't the psychiatrist guy look like a carbon copy of doogie howser? remember that show? i was waiting for a grossly stereotyped sidekick to jump in at any moment, ready for some crazy shananigans(sp?). :D

11. ewells

ewells Big Daddy

I think the biker guy stayed married. One of the divorces was no big surprise, he met his wife while treating her in the ER, and it seemed like she was out to marry herself a doctor. When she realized that there was some difficulty involved, she bailed. In the end, the doctor seemed much happier. They showed him at a pool, rubbing lotion on another student. The other doctor divorcee was pretty miserable from day one, and I am betting he was a totally different person that he probably was when he and his sweetheart got engaged. I watched this with my wife, so we were very interested in how these relationships turned out.

12. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    ewells, you're right I do remember that the biker was the one that stayed married.... but I remember seeing a show updating those that were involved and guess what... he too got divorced and fatter :)

13. fuzzysocks

fuzzysocks Member

yes, this was what i was referring to. and yes, he was much more...plump later. but then again, he started off much older than his colleagues so he must have been in his 40's (?) during the updates. he really changed, physically, though. could hardly see the resemblance. ;)
    they should do this documentary again, only w/ a 'regular' med school. y'know, maybe a state one? :D i hate how the media only focuses on one or two schools. i'm tired of all this harvard worshipping. :( i have nothing against harvard, it's just that i find 'regular' folk far more interesting. (maybe b/c i am one ;) )

14. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    fuzzysocks....I'm with you there all the way... :cool: