Anybody with A.D.H.D successfully get in???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

Just A Nobody

Did anyone with ADD successfully apply and get in? Or not get in? Can you share your stories?? Did you guys disclose that you have ADD on the apps or in interviews??? Is it better to just not say anything??? I've called a couple schools and asked them what thier policy was, and they started being all weird and stuff, so I'm really concerned. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just A Nobody said:
Did anyone with ADD successfully apply and get in? Or not get in? Can you share your stories?? Did you guys disclose that you have ADD on the apps or in interviews??? Is it better to just not say anything??? I've called a couple schools and asked them what thier policy was, and they started being all weird and stuff, so I'm really concerned. Thanks!

I got in, but I didn't tell them that I had a learning disability. At this stage in the game, you can't be asking for preferential treatment. I don't know how my acceptances would have been affected if I had told them, although I'm sure they could look at my school records and find out. Honestly, I would say don't tell them. If you do, and you get in, and you get treated differently (untimed tests, etc.) pretty much everyone else in the class will resent you. Conversely, if you tell them and they don't decide to give you untimed tests and quiet rooms etc, you might feel as though you are being treated unfairly. The best way to deal with it is to make sure that you can do school on your own. I basically had to wean myself off of adderall, untimed tests, the books on tape that they gave me, etc. It's difficult to relearn how to study, but worth it. You definitely want to be sure that you can excel without having to tell anybody that you have an LD.

Sorry for the bad news, but it's probably the best explanation for why schools aren't taking well to your questions.

beezies said:
I got in, but I didn't tell them that I had a learning disability. At this stage in the game, you can't be asking for preferential treatment. I don't know how my acceptances would have been affected if I had told them, although I'm sure they could look at my school records and find out. Honestly, I would say don't tell them. If you do, and you get in, and you get treated differently (untimed tests, etc.) pretty much everyone else in the class will resent you. Conversely, if you tell them and they don't decide to give you untimed tests and quiet rooms etc, you might feel as though you are being treated unfairly. The best way to deal with it is to make sure that you can do school on your own. I basically had to wean myself off of adderall, untimed tests, the books on tape that they gave me, etc. It's difficult to relearn how to study, but worth it. You definitely want to be sure that you can excel without having to tell anybody that you have an LD.

Sorry for the bad news, but it's probably the best explanation for why schools aren't taking well to your questions.

Hey thanks so much for the reply. I guess I'm asking more about disclosing it while your applying, like in your personal statement. I'm certainly not going to ask for "preferential treatment" while in dental school. I agree with you that it's just better to deal with it and get off all the help ( I never asked for extra time etc even after I got diagnosed). But see, the thing is that I wasn't diagnosed until my senior year of college, so I struggled through college, and even though I graduated with a decent gpa, 3.4, from Northwestern University, it's not stellar, and so I want to explain myself, but I don't want to tell them that I have ADD if they're going to be all weird about it and reject me because of it. Do you know what I mean? What do you think I should do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just A Nobody said:
Hey thanks so much for the reply. I guess I'm asking more about disclosing it while your applying, like in your personal statement. I'm certainly not going to ask for "preferential treatment" while in dental school. I agree with you that it's just better to deal with it and get off all the help ( I never asked for extra time etc even after I got diagnosed). But see, the thing is that I wasn't diagnosed until my senior year of college, so I struggled through college, and even though I graduated with a decent gpa, 3.4, from Northwestern University, it's not stellar, and so I want to explain myself, but I don't want to tell them that I have ADD if they're going to be all weird about it and reject me because of it. Do you know what I mean? What do you think I should do?

3.4 is pretty good. you don't need to explain yourself. don't mention ADD. especially since a lot of people think that doesn't exist.

Just A Nobody said:

I have the same story. I was diagnosed in my senior year of college, and I am now a returning student. I'm so frustrated with people throwing out the special treatment card. Biology professors are the worst with this. I want to say this for everyone. Learning disabilities do not mean that you "should" be struggling with school. Some of use are lucky. Yes, I have ADHD, and I am likely dyslexic. I take meds, and I take extra time on tests. I also have bad eye sight, and I wear glasses or contacts. Taking meds or extra time is no more of an advantage than wearing glasses. Some people will tell you it is because they claim that you can't "prove" that you have ADHD. However, nobody else can see through my eyes....maybe I am just lying because I think it's cool, and I like the special attention that I get for wearing glasses. I went through 12 hours of testing. Just yesterday, someone said to me that she reads the symptoms for ADHD, and she knows that everybody has it. Come on people...have you ever felt tired? Do you regularly feel tired? Does that mean that you have lymes disease? I mean, it's a symptom, right?
I am sorry to rant, but I am so frustrated with this right now, and I was shocked to see the topic come up on here.
When I was diagnosed, one of the main indicators came through in my IQ tests. My IQ was above average in everything, except processing speed. That was significantly lower than all of the others. IMO- You have a legal right that states that you are allowed to level the playing field. This is done because while the processing speed may be lower, your writing skills and creative thinking and problem solving, etc, may be advanced.
As for other people feeling resentment. 1- How many times have we all hears, if you know the info, you know it, so time shouldn't matter. (This is usually used as an arguement for shortened time...which is odd to me.) and 2- say what I say, "many doctors are willing to diagnose ADHD with minimal to no testing. Go to one, describe the symptoms, get diagnosed, and enjoy these "privileges" with me. It's really not that hard, and if it helps you to display the information that you know better, then go for it. I'd like to see everyone earn As."
This is long, and unthought out. It is a snap reaction, but it's my opion. take it or leave it, but at least think it over.
Best of luck!!!

rockhound said:
I have the same story. I was diagnosed in my senior year of college, and I am now a returning student. I'm so frustrated with people throwing out the special treatment card. Biology professors are the worst with this. I want to say this for everyone. Learning disabilities do not mean that you "should" be struggling with school. Some of use are lucky. Yes, I have ADHD, and I am likely dyslexic. I take meds, and I take extra time on tests. I also have bad eye sight, and I wear glasses or contacts. Taking meds or extra time is no more of an advantage than wearing glasses. Some people will tell you it is because they claim that you can't "prove" that you have ADHD. However, nobody else can see through my eyes....maybe I am just lying because I think it's cool, and I like the special attention that I get for wearing glasses. I went through 12 hours of testing. Just yesterday, someone said to me that she reads the symptoms for ADHD, and she knows that everybody has it. Come on people...have you ever felt tired? Do you regularly feel tired? Does that mean that you have lymes disease? I mean, it's a symptom, right?
I am sorry to rant, but I am so frustrated with this right now, and I was shocked to see the topic come up on here.
When I was diagnosed, one of the main indicators came through in my IQ tests. My IQ was above average in everything, except processing speed. That was significantly lower than all of the others. IMO- You have a legal right that states that you are allowed to level the playing field. This is done because while the processing speed may be lower, your writing skills and creative thinking and problem solving, etc, may be advanced.
As for other people feeling resentment. 1- How many times have we all hears, if you know the info, you know it, so time shouldn't matter. (This is usually used as an arguement for shortened time...which is odd to me.) and 2- say what I say, "many doctors are willing to diagnose ADHD with minimal to no testing. Go to one, describe the symptoms, get diagnosed, and enjoy these "privileges" with me. It's really not that hard, and if it helps you to display the information that you know better, then go for it. I'd like to see everyone earn As."
This is long, and unthought out. It is a snap reaction, but it's my opion. take it or leave it, but at least think it over.
Best of luck!!!

Hey rockhound, thanks for your reply. I understand what you're saying about not "throwing out the special treatment card". I just wanted to make clear that I'm not saying that people with ADHD don't need it. I know for some people they really do need it and it really does help. I am in no way shape or form denouncing or undermining the need for these things. It is illegal not to provide these services, since having ADHD is a disability, and people with disabilities need the help. Rather I was just saying that, for me, personally, it was SO incredibly hard for me to accept and come to terms with the fact that I had ADHD, and especially since I found out so late, and all the "damage" had already been done, and all the bitterness that ensued because of the fact that I had to struggle so hard (study 5 times as hard as everyone else) just to get a lousy/average GPA. So by the time I found out, I just wanted to finish college, and do it in a way that I had already been doing it for three years because basically I'm stubborn as hell. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it "on my own" without any help and without any meds or extra time or anything. I know that's probably not a good thing, but that's what I needed to do to not get depressed (by proving it to myself). So that's the only reason I personally threw out the special treatment card, BUT i'm not saying that everyone with ADHD should do that. Do you get what i'm saying??? I totally agree with you that ADHD is REAL and people who are properly diagnosed with it should use whatever means are available to help themselves. But for some reason, I just need to prove to myself that I can do things completelt on my own cuz I'm just weird like that. Anyways...let's get back to the topic at hand...are you going to disclose it on your apps??? Take care!

Just A Nobody said:

You have a fairly strong GPA at a well known school. Don't play on your weaknesses, emphasize your strengths. You probably showed dramatic improvement after you were diagnosed and treated, stress how well you did during a time when most students get "senioritis." Tell the schools that you are applying to that it was really important for you to finish strong. Above all, use your knowledge of your LD and your coping skills to kick butt on the DAT. If you do this you will have very little trouble getting in, and I doubt you will even have to mention ADD. Again, that's your perogative, and as some say, your "legal right." But I think you can do just as well either way.

Just A Nobody said:
Hey rockhound, thanks for your reply. I understand what you're saying about not "throwing out the special treatment card". I just wanted to make clear that I'm not saying that people with ADHD don't need it. I know for some people they really do need it and it really does help. I am in no way shape or form denouncing or undermining the need for these things. It is illegal not to provide these services, since having ADHD is a disability, and people with disabilities need the help. Rather I was just saying that, for me, personally, it was SO incredibly hard for me to accept and come to terms with the fact that I had ADHD, and especially since I found out so late, and all the "damage" had already been done, and all the bitterness that ensued because of the fact that I had to struggle so hard (study 5 times as hard as everyone else) just to get a lousy/average GPA. So by the time I found out, I just wanted to finish college, and do it in a way that I had already been doing it for three years because basically I'm stubborn as hell. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it "on my own" without any help and without any meds or extra time or anything. I know that's probably not a good thing, but that's what I needed to do to not get depressed (by proving it to myself). So that's the only reason I personally threw out the special treatment card, BUT i'm not saying that everyone with ADHD should do that. Do you get what i'm saying??? I totally agree with you that ADHD is REAL and people who are properly diagnosed with it should use whatever means are available to help themselves. But for some reason, I just need to prove to myself that I can do things completelt on my own cuz I'm just weird like that. Anyways...let's get back to the topic at hand...are you going to disclose it on your apps??? Take care!

Oh btw, rockhound, i just re-read your post. I do NOT condone telling people to go to any crackpot doctor and getting diagnosed just so they can get the "priveleges" (even though I don't use the "priveleges" myself - even though I have ADHD, and was diagnosed by an expert psychiatrist who specialized in Adult ADHD from Harvard, and is a leader in the field and has written several books and KNOWS what he's talking about.) By doing so, you are just undermining what is a REAL disease.

Just A Nobody said:
Oh btw, rockhound, i just re-read your post. I do NOT condone telling people to go to any crackpot doctor and getting diagnosed just so they can get the "priveleges" (even though I don't use the "priveleges" myself - even though I have ADHD, and was diagnosed by an expert psychiatrist who specialized in Adult ADHD from Harvard, and is a leader in the field and has written several books and KNOWS what he's talking about.) By doing so, you are just undermining what is a REAL disease.

I hear what you are saying...it's not so much that I really think that they should go to some yea-hoo doctor, it's more that when I say that, the usual response is, "more time won't help me anyway." I agree that it is insanely frustrating and wrong that it can be (incorrectly) diagnosed in such a casual way. You make a strong point.

As for disclosing the info when I apply....I don't feel a need to explain my grades. They aren't great, I mean you and I really are in the same boat here. Maybe I am being niave, but I would like to think that there are lots of bad test-takers out there who go very far in life....and maybe even become dentists! :) And who knows what will happen with the DAT, but I am praying to everything holy that I do well on it. (And, of course, I am studying with intesity.)

I suppose that I have always seen ADHD as more of a positive thing than a disability. I mean, thanks to my busy mind, I can link ideas with ease, and I am very creative. Don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to toot my own horn or anything, but life is about seeing the positive, right? Plus, with all of my extra energy (and a little bit of structure), I can accomplish more in a day than some other people. AND...people with ADHD are often more empathetic than other people. (I read that in what was probably one of the books that your psychiatrist wrote!) I also read that people with ADHD are often successful at starting a new business. How great is that for a potential dentist?!?!

I suppose when the time comes, I might say something to the effect of: because I have ADHD, I am empathetic...... or I might say nothing at all. I mean, afterall, we all have to play by the rules of the game. If you don't mind, I'd love to hear what you decide and how it goes for you.

I wouldn't say a word. Despite what people may say, equal opportunity without bias does not exist. If it comes down to a choice between you and an individual without ADD the Adcoms will likely go with the other candidate. So I imagine it is better to spin any academic anomalies another way. I think this is one time you don't want to standout from the crowd.

does self diagnosis count?

Ok I'll fess up. I'm a memeber of this elite club. Diagnosed at 6.

Things were fine in elemetery school, but in middle school, mostly in 7th grade, my teachers seemed to use this to harrass me rather than help me. I have never told another teacher since.

I did well in high school. I had quite the resume. 3.8gpa, honors, AP credits (with A+s), tons of awards, science student of the year, did research, presented at research confrences, community service, you name it.

Undergrad on the other hand has not been that great of an experience. I'm not getting very good grades, and pretty much am not having the same success and as nice resume as I did in high school. I can't figure out what the heck happened. I don't know why I did so well in high school, but am sucking so bad a undergrad.

Did you all experience this too? Anyone figure out how to get over it?

Also I'd be interested to hear how you guys studied or the DAT given the circumstances.

Personally I have no interset in disclosing my little problem. I try not to let it run my life, but lately it seems like it has been kicking my butt. I still have no plans to ever mention it, as I have never mentioned it to a single teacher or professor after the 7th grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
lgreen_aci said:
I don't know why I did so well in high school, but am sucking so bad a undergrad.

Also I'd be interested to hear how you guys studied or the DAT given the circumstances.

For the first part: My first semester as a Microbio major kicked my butt. I had no idea what to do with myself or how to improve. The way I got over it was to just be religious about studying. I pretty much lived at the library and was a total nerd starting about two weeks before a block of exams. I have to admit that Adderall helped too, but it's okay to use it when it's prescibed.

For the DAT: Same thing, I studied for about three months. Coughed up the extra $$$ to pay for the Princeton Review MCAT class, because it's more scientifically detailed than Kaplan. Then I coughed up even more money for a tutor for QR. I spent close to 6 hours a day studying and testing myself. Then I took it, and for the most part was happy with my scores.

You just have to find a way to make studying part of your life. So sad that I'm writing that, but it's true. For me, I worked full time while I studied for the DAT, so during any free time I had at work I would look at flashcards/notes. On the train ride to and from work I would read notes. I would take a two hour break between work and studying for the gym, and then I'd study until one or two in the morning. It totally sucked, but was worth it in the end. I even ended up liking running because it was a break from studying. Ha. I hope that I have enough steam left in me to continue that type of studying for another four years. I have a feeling that my experience didn't even come close to the real thing.

I was diagnosed with ADD in kindergarten and was given Ritalin off and on up until 10th grade. I believe is it is a real disorder, but I also wish I was never diagnosed with it. I really did not like the effects of Ritalin; It seem to capsulated me from interacting with others. In addition, placement in to special education did nothing to help me. I passed from grade to grade without challenge or expectations. In 10th grade, I learned to expect more of my self and demand to be placed into mainstream. It was a rough transition and I never caught up for all I loss. It was necessary for a lot of remedial course work at my local C.C. due to lack of education I received earlier. I finished BS with 2.7 GPA overall. When I applied dental school, I did not mention ADD diagnosis. Mentioning it would not benefit me any. I already had low GPA, I did not want to cast any more doubt on my abilities. Anyhow, the main reason for my poor GPA was my own lack of direction and self-doubt. I have been successful so far in dental school; Dental school is just as hard for me as most people.

lgreen_aci said:

I haven't started to study for my DAT, but I have learned some great studying tips from a tutor.

First and foremost, find what works for you. Keep trying different things until you find your tool. Also, make sure that you put information into your own words. For me, I could copy a definition 1000 times, and it wouldn't mean anything to me, but if I say it once in my own words, then it's "on file."

Also, I record my notes onto my ipod. I have a 45 minute commute to and from school everyday, so I can plug in my ipod and use that time to study. This is what works the best for me. For me, learning really needs to be an active experience. I need to read and hear my book, so I go home, and I read my books outloud.

Everyone should have ideas on this, so I say, try them all until you find your trick. Until then, keep your head up, and keep trying. One day, it will all just click for you! :)

rockhound said:
I
Also, I record my notes onto my ipod. I have a 45 minute commute to and from school everyday, so I can plug in my ipod and use that time to study. This is what works the best for me. For me, learning really needs to be an active experience. I need to read and hear my book, so I go home, and I read my books outloud.

Rockhound, when you say that you record your notes, do you record your teacher during lecture? Or, do you read through your notes while recording onto your computer or ipod?

I bought the iTalk for my iPod and record my lectures...but they are too long for me to listen to during the day. I should try to read my lecture notes. I have also thought about reading words and their definitions and other things...it's a little late for this semester, but I will have to try those ideas in the summer and fall.

Good luck to everyone!

LNinlove said:
Rockhound, when you say that you record your notes, do you record your teacher during lecture? Or, do you read through your notes while recording onto your computer or ipod?

I record my notes, and I incorporate them with ideas from other class materials (like the book, etc.). The key for me is to make sure that I am not just reading, but that I am really connecting ideas.

Regarding the OP’s question, for me, if the opportunity presents itself I will probably say something. Reason being is that I am going to start a club on my campus; it is called Active Minds and is simply about awareness of mental disorders and giving students a place to get together and talk about how they cope with their disorder. It will also provide resources for students on where to go to see a counselor.

So, as you can see, I will list this on my application and probably not go into it much more than that. Unless of course, if it is brought up during an interview, I will tell them that instead of sitting back and doing nothing about my depression I was involved in an awareness group on campus.

My story (abridged version):

When I first met my wife, I had a lot of trust issues. When we were dating I always thought she was cheating on me. I had never really thought about this as a problem until it started coming between us. She persuaded me to see a counselor about it and at the same time I went in and talked with my PCP. The counselor helped me talk my way through it, and my PCP gave me some tests and put me on an antidepressant.

Also, during this time, I suffered from headaches that would come around 4 to 5 times a week and last all day. I went to a neurologist; he said that I was having rebound headaches due to caffeine. I stopped my caffeine intake and was still getting these headaches. We then thought that it was due to a soccer injury in high school, a compression fracture on my C3 vertebrae, so I started seeing a chiropractor, a very close family friend. That didn’t really help either. So then I just kind of gave up.

After a few years of trying different depression meds and still not feeling well, I decided to get a referral to a psychiatrist. He started analyzing what kind of anti-depression meds had been working and not working. Also, what side effects I was having and so forth.

At the same time, I talked with my parents and brothers to see what was working for them. My mom had been on Prozac for years, and my dad and brother were just put on Prozac recently. So I told my doc and he tapered me onto Prozac.

Long story short, I am doing better and working through every day. I wish I didn’t have to depend on meds everyday, but I would rather do that than to have headaches like I was. I have decided not to take extended test times and the “special treatment” simply because I want to try my best to work through it myself. Unfortunately, my grades have suffered a little during the whole process, but nothing I can’t come back from.

Good luck to everyone and if you have any questions, PM me and I would be more than happy to chat.

rockhound said:
The key for me is to make sure that I am not just reading, but that I am really connecting ideas.

I think that is really the most important thing for me too. If I see how they are all connected, I do a lot better!

I have ADHD and I was accepted to a couple of great schools. I did not apply for extra time on the DAT for my learning disability nor did I specifically mention it in my application. A friend of mine who is in law school got a couple of extra minutes for her LSAT due to dyslexia, which she regrets. Her score was awesome but she explained to me that a certain school where she wanted to attend rejected her despite her awesome score and high GPA. Because both of her parents are alums there, a member of the ADCOM called up her dad an told him in confidence that it was mainly her LSAT that kept her out. He said that because she had different circumstances (as noted by an asterisk next to her test scores) they felt they could not equally compare her against her competition. I took her advice and didn't apply for extended time. I'm sure that my quantitative would have been higher because that is the area most affected by my learning disability but, in my case, the 1-2 extra points were not worth the potential stigma. If you feel like you had a bad semester due to undiagnosed learning disability i think that its okay to mention this in an interview setting. You can say that you had to change you study habits to improve your grades. As long as you have a positive spin, I believe schools are interested in your growth as a student and how you recover from set-backs. In one of my interviews I was candid about my ADHD and talked about support services at the particular school and I was accepted. It's actually the school I'm going to attend. Don't worry about what other people think, you know your learning disability so you have to do whatever you need to to ensure your in the ideal learning environment. On another note, I would be interested to hear if anyone else actually got extra time on the DAT and got into the school of his/her choice.....it would be helpful to have another frame of reference...

I think I'm going to take this study skills class they offer at my college next semester (fall). Maybe that will help out a bit. Hopefully it wont look bad on the transcripts and rather show I am trying to get this mess figured out.

Hopefully that won't be too much w/ A&P + lab, Org Chem + lab, and Micro + Lab.

maxwell3000 said:
I have ADHD and I was accepted to a couple of great schools. I did not apply for extra time on the DAT for my learning disability nor did I specifically mention it in my application. A friend of mine who is in law school got a couple of extra minutes for her LSAT due to dyslexia, which she regrets. Her score was awesome but she explained to me that a certain school where she wanted to attend rejected her despite her awesome score and high GPA. Because both of her parents are alums there, a member of the ADCOM called up her dad an told him in confidence that it was mainly her LSAT that kept her out. He said that because she had different circumstances (as noted by an asterisk next to her test scores) they felt they could not equally compare her against her competition. I took her advice and didn't apply for extended time. I'm sure that my quantitative would have been higher because that is the area most affected by my learning disability but, in my case, the 1-2 extra points were not worth the potential stigma. If you feel like you had a bad semester due to undiagnosed learning disability i think that its okay to mention this in an interview setting. You can say that you had to change you study habits to improve your grades. As long as you have a positive spin, I believe schools are interested in your growth as a student and how you recover from set-backs. In one of my interviews I was candid about my ADHD and talked about support services at the particular school and I was accepted. It's actually the school I'm going to attend. Don't worry about what other people think, you know your learning disability so you have to do whatever you need to to ensure your in the ideal learning environment. On another note, I would be interested to hear if anyone else actually got extra time on the DAT and got into the school of his/her choice.....it would be helpful to have another frame of reference...

maxwell, thanks for the awesome post! I too, am very curious and anxious about DAT timing, and whether or not it would affect admissions. Isn't it sad that we are going into a medical field, yet the admissions committee themselves discriminate??? It's the same thing in medical school admissions. I call that nothing short of a double standard...

Just A Nobody said:
Isn't it sad that we are going into a medical field, yet the admissions committee themselves discriminate??? It's the same thing in medical school admissions. I call that nothing short of a double standard...

The only professors that I have ever had any sort of an issue with is biology! One last semester told me that he was impressed that I was getting one of the best grades in the class, but it would really count as an achievement if I took the tests with everyone else. Then, one this semester told me that people with learning disabilities aren't supposed to get good grades. They are both older men, so I just hope that people can learn to be less ignorant in the future. Of all of the instructors, I would have thought that biologists would understand better than any of them. I was very, very, very wrong.

lgreen_aci said:
Ok I'll fess up. I'm a memeber of this elite club. Diagnosed at 6.

Things were fine in elemetery school, but in middle school, mostly in 7th grade, my teachers seemed to use this to harrass me rather than help me. I have never told another teacher since.

I did well in high school. I had quite the resume. 3.8gpa, honors, AP credits (with A+s), tons of awards, science student of the year, did research, presented at research confrences, community service, you name it.

Undergrad on the other hand has not been that great of an experience. I'm not getting very good grades, and pretty much am not having the same success and as nice resume as I did in high school. I can't figure out what the heck happened. I don't know why I did so well in high school, but am sucking so bad a undergrad.

Personally I have no interset in disclosing my little problem. I try not to let it run my life, but lately it seems like it has been kicking my butt. I still have no plans to ever mention it, as I have never mentioned it to a single teacher or professor after the 7th grade.

Lgreen, I had the same exact experience. High school was awesome...I was valedictorian, 4.0, blah blah etc. At Northwestern, I got my butt kicked. The only way I somewhat figured out how to "beat it" was just sheer stubborness and hard work. I lived at the library, and became a total nerd. The hardest part about the whole thing was not to get depressed. I.e...putting all that hard work in and not seeing a 4.0. Meds didn't work for me at all, so I just had to get used to the ADD, and keep myself from getting down - which was REALLY hard. There were some really dark times. But hopefully, all is well that ends well, and that philosophy has gotten me through so far. I had to take a year off to collect myself. I did relief work overseas, which was an unfrogettable experience, and has given me a totally new perspective on life. So I don't sweat the small stuff anymore.

DAT studying has been real hard, but I just force myself and do as much as I can so that I have no regrets looking back. It's not easy...but we gotta try at least, right? I don't really have any DAT studying tips other than, make a schedule and stick to it. But don't beat yourself up if it doesn't go perfectly.

I really think that all of us can make it...if we just work hard and keep at it!

Thanks for sharing. Yep, just got to keep on going and not get too down. On a good note today, found out I got a 91% on my psychopharmacology test last friday, so that made me happy.

Anyway, some of the most amazing and significant people in history had ADD, so there is nothing we can't do. I actually see ADD as an advantage in someways. We often can do things and see things in a way that others can't. I also see dentistry as a great profession for channeling the strengths we have. The nice thing about ADD is that it is at least managable.

i have a severe case of ADD myself. neither did i mention it in my PS, nor in my inTviews. at the time, i thought of it as a serious flaw in me that does not need to be revealed unless it is absolutly necessary. in terms of taking extra time for the DAT, i was against that for the same reasons i am skeptical about affirmative action. but more importantly, i was against it because i never thought of ADD as a "learning disability". i am actully surprised that you guys consider it some form or learning disability. my ADD makes my life very difficult and puts me in some seriously awkward situations with respect to daily time management (short-term time managment, task prioritization and task completion) and social interactions (i dont even wanna go there). we have to work more than others to control our brains, thought processes, mouths, and time. but with extra work, it can be done.

to the OP: yes, i have been accepted to a bada$$ ill d-school :D ...

actually, part of the reason why my username is fightingspirit is due to the constant battle i have with my hyperctive, overthinkative, and ubber easily-distracted brain

so keep a fightingspirit and you'll shine

BenignDMD said:
Here is my story....

I failed out of undergrad miserably...TWICE!...I had a 4.0 in high school and a 1500+ SAT score. I had no idea what was wrong with me. Unlike other partying stories, I don't drink, so that was not an issue with my poor performance. I would study all day long, but I could not retain any college material for some reason. I got so frustrated I was about to give up. I then found out about a family friend who went through the same thing. He was diagnosed with ADD after three years undergrad, started meds, had a 4.0 for his last 60+ hours, pulled a 35 MCAT and got into med school.

I went to a Psychiatrist two years ago after failing out twice. After 4 or 5 meetings and a bunch of tests, he diagnosed me with ADD as well. I started meds two years ago, and have a 3.96 over my last 58 hours (all upper level science, i.e. histo, anatomy, biochem...) My overall GPA that AADSAS will calculate will still be insanely crappy, but I have done everything possible to prove myself for the 2007 app cycle. I got a 23 DAT, and have a great resume (except for overall GPA of course!).

Anyways, I am going to address this in my personal statement. I don't get any preferential treatment, my university does not know about my ADD, and I don't want any preferential treatment. Now that the semester is about to end, I have told my professors that are writing LOR's for me about the ADD. They were very suprised to say the least and have encouraged me to address it in my personal statement. I believe that ADCOM's will understand and see how I have progressed. After all, this has made me a stronger person.

Is the only change that you made meds? They were enought to take you from failing to almost a 4.0? (This reads sarcastic, but I don't mean it that way at all. I am just curious about the different paths that peole find to success.) Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Interesting.

I've only seen my old pediatrician and family doc about this issue ever, but I think I am going to go in and talk w/ a psychiatrist about it. I know I can do the work as I got A+'s in classes like AP biology in high school, which was harder than some of the 200 and 300 level bio classes I have taken.

I don't know but things kind of suck right now and I want to get things under control again and suceed like I did in high school. I'll pretty much do whatever it takes at this point as I really really want to be a dentist.

maxwell3000 said:

Guys...I'm so confused as to what to do. I wrote this kick ass personal statement about my struggle with ADD, and now I'm thinking of re-writing it so as to not mention it at all because I'm scared of adcom's biases. I've gotten suggestions going both ways. Mention it, and don't mention it. Sigh...what to do???

Last edited:
So what exactly are the symptoms?

I have had an issue for years. My girlfriend said that I might have an attention issue. I am not hyperactive but, I can't sit still and concentrate on something for more than 20 minutes at a time. I always feel tired no matter how little or how much more I sleep. I am a smart guy but, sometimes takes me a few minutes to figure something out like on physics problems. It's almost like I stare at the thing and all of a sudden its like BAM then I'm like oh yea. Also, when I write it almost seems as if I jump ahead of myself. What I mean is if I were to write the word little I might write it as litlte. Sometimes when I read something I totally screw up words like I'll see bath instead of boot. It's really weird. It doesn't happen as often because I take meds for it now but it was hard for a while. I went to community college for a few classes and then a university. The change kicked my a$$ as far as study habbits. So I changed that and still nothing. After I took meds I hit deans list and hit nearly A's. So it's not a "fake" diagnosis. I can't ask for help though because I feel as if I do then I can't hang in the real world. I can't ask a patient for special treatment. Therefore I say nothing and try to get through it.

amartins02 said:
So what exactly are the symptoms?

I have had an issue for years. My girlfriend said that I might have an attention issue. I am not hyperactive but, I can't sit still and concentrate on something for more than 20 minutes at a time. I always feel tired no matter how little or how much more I sleep. I am a smart guy but, sometimes takes me a few minutes to figure something out like on physics problems. It's almost like I stare at the thing and all of a sudden its like BAM then I'm like oh yea. Also, when I write it almost seems as if I jump ahead of myself. What I mean is if I were to write the word little I might write it as litlte. Sometimes when I read something I totally screw up words like I'll see bath instead of boot. It's really weird. It doesn't happen as often because I take meds for it now but it was hard for a while. I went to community college for a few classes and then a university. The change kicked my a$$ as far as study habbits. So I changed that and still nothing. After I took meds I hit deans list and hit nearly A's. So it's not a "fake" diagnosis. I can't ask for help though because I feel as if I do then I can't hang in the real world. I can't ask a patient for special treatment. Therefore I say nothing and try to get through it.

So, what were you diagnosed with? What kind of testing did they do? (I'm just curious, since I only know how I was diagnosed.)

Here's my point of view. I wear glasses because my eyes are shaped differently, and I can't see as well as someone with 20/20 vision. Most people don't see that as getting special treatment, because they accept the fact that bad eyesight is a legitamate "disorder," and most everyone agrees that it is fair to level the playing field by allowing me to wear glasses. Our society neglects mental health so much that many people don't "believe" in it. IMO, the issue is that "feelings" vary from day to day, and many of us can say, "Well, I feel depressed/hyper/angry/etc., but I can make it through life, and I don't need any special treatment." The fact is that you need to make the decision for yourself. At first, I felt guilty about getting extended time on tests, but now I have realized that I earn A's because I work hard. I know things that B and C students don't know. In fact, my chemistry professor now offers extending testing time for all students. And guess what...nothing changed! You know it or you don't.

As for working and getting by in the real world, I don't know of many jobs that put you in a room and ask you to answer random questions on a paper. In the real world, I can adapt because there aren't these silly limitations. I can create solutions that work well for me. That is the exact opposite point of education. It teaches us how to listen and find and learn important information, but we must figure out on our own what will make us successful. For me, that's one great aspect of becoming a dentisit. I know what I need to be successfull, and as a dentist, I will have the freedom to provide that in my work atmosphere. I've been in the real world for a number of years working as a scientist, and I was very successful. (I just didn't like the work.) Like I said before, my grades before that were quite low, but I was successful. In my very humble opinion, the only people that compare school to the real world are educators, and that makes sense, because that is their real world.

I would be intersted to know if anyone thinks that these accomodations (extended test time, separate testing rooms, etc.) make students any less prepared for the real world. Like I've said before, I only really know my life, and from my experience, you are what you are, and you know what you know regardless of time or setting.

ADD/ADHD is a myth. My grandmother has never heard of it. Her generation turned out fine.

^Thank you for demonstrating your ignorance.

I was diagnosed at a young age did the meds thing until high school. Graduated at the bottom of my class, and generaly was more interested in music/girls and partying then anything acedemic. Went back to college 7 years later, unmedicated and have done fine. I never have problems with tests I usualy finish them before most of my classmates. ADD is the hardest for me because I get bored easily if I am not interested in a class, I have difficulty finishing lab reports and homework sometimes, mostly the bored thing is my worst handicap. I have a hard time with independent study, I really didn't study for the DAT and I probaly could have a better GPA, and DAT scores. Oh well I got some interiews.

There's no affirmative action for people with ADD. The admissions people look for the best candidate to fill their class, so bringing up a weakness like that can't be a good thing. They can probably find someone with the same everything as you, but without the ADD.

I'm glad someone dug up this thread. I shadowed a periodontist, and in the middle of a complex surgery, he proclaimed, "This is definitely not the right profession for someone with ADD." I was taken aback by his ignorance. Obviously he was unaware that significant strides in treatment have occured.

I think people suffering from ADD, particularly adult ADD, learn to manage their situation by becoming even more meticulous in their attention to detail. Considering that dentistry is a profession that prides itself on creativity, which can be a real strong characteristic in ADD sufferers, I might even say I would prefer a dentist with ADD. It would be interesting to see a study comparing PAT scores in ADD vs non-ADD people.

I'm glad someone dug up this thread. I shadowed a periodontist, and in the middle of a complex surgery, he proclaimed, "This is definitely not the right profession for someone with ADD." I was taken aback by his ignorance. Obviously he was unaware that significant strides in treatment have occured.

I think people suffering from ADD, particularly adult ADD, learn to manage their situation by becoming even more meticulous in their attention to detail. Considering that dentistry is a profession that prides itself on creativity, which can be a real strong characteristic in ADD sufferers, I might even say I would prefer a dentist with ADD. It would be interesting to see a study comparing PAT scores in ADD vs non-ADD people.

Yeah, I think some people need to be medicated such as severe cases. For me I deal with it, I never remember to put the cap back on the toothpaste but when I put my mind to anything I can be very meticulous.

I was diagnosed at a young age did the meds thing until high school. Graduated at the bottom of my class, and generaly was more interested in music/girls and partying then anything acedemic. Went back to college 7 years later, unmedicated and have done fine. I never have problems with tests I usualy finish them before most of my classmates. ADD is the hardest for me because I get bored easily if I am not interested in a class, I have difficulty finishing lab reports and homework sometimes, mostly the bored thing is my worst handicap. I have a hard time with independent study, I really didn't study for the DAT and I probaly could have a better GPA, and DAT scores. Oh well I got some interiews.

lol. You're doing fine. I'd love to have your gpa and dat scores.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I have similar concerns to those voiced above. I am not sure when ADHD started to affect me. In highschool I had nearly a 4.0 gpa and scored a couple 1500 sats(790 verbal and 790 math were my highest scores so I guess some people would consider this a 1580?). Anyhow, I started off in college alright but then afterwards my grades started to just plummet. Long story short I ended up with a 2.63 gpa for my undergrad experience (and no, no alcohol involved except for the first semister, the one I did well in). Only in the last semister did I find out I have ADHD. I started taking (very low dose) medication then. I then took a semester off school to recover and then look for a job. Since Ive been on the medication my life has improved a lot. I started taking classes again last fall and recieved 12 credits of 4.0, and im doing the same this semister. I really feel like a totally new person, or actually, more like the person I was in high school. My ADHD is isn't so much hyperactive as it is "inattention". When I do not take medicine I can have people talk to me and ill look them right in the eye and only hear half the words coming out of their mouth no matter how hard I try. Needless to say, this made learning history at a university difficult considering most classes are purely oral.

So my concern is this.....How do I explain my undergrad experience in a positive light WITHOUT mentioning ADHD? Now that I am on medication I dont feel disadvantaged at all. I have never told anyone I know besides my family that I am on medication or that I even have ADHD. I have of course had conversations with people about ADD(who didnt know I had it) but Ive never once heard an understanding voice about people with the disorder. In a couple cases I have talked with people who I barely know but I found out they had ADD. When I tell them my story they look at me skeptically and figure I did it just to score some drugs.

I mean, do you think its better to just flat out lie to the adcom and say I spent those 4.5 years drunk and partying but now my act is together or do I explain my real situation. At the end of this semister I will have a 2.9gpa and 3.3 science(would be much higher if I didnt take (and bomb) a few chemistry classes in college "for fun"). I dont imagine I have a prayer of getting into dental school so I will likely apply next year with better numbers and perhaps a masters program in the works and hope for the best. The glaring hole of an undergrad career I had still haunts me however. Finding a way to explain it could very well make or break me I imagine.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I have similar concerns to those voiced above. I am not sure when ADHD started to affect me. In highschool I had nearly a 4.0 gpa and scored a couple 1500 sats(790 verbal and 790 math were my highest scores so I guess some people would consider this a 1580?). Anyhow, I started off in college alright but then afterwards my grades started to just plummet. Long story short I ended up with a 2.63 gpa for my undergrad experience (and no, no alcohol involved except for the first semister, the one I did well in). Only in the last semister did I find out I have ADHD. I started taking (very low dose) medication then. I then took a semester off school to recover and then look for a job. Since Ive been on the medication my life has improved a lot. I started taking classes again last fall and recieved 12 credits of 4.0, and im doing the same this semister. I really feel like a totally new person, or actually, more like the person I was in high school. My ADHD is isn't so much hyperactive as it is "inattention". When I do not take medicine I can have people talk to me and ill look them right in the eye and only hear half the words coming out of their mouth no matter how hard I try. Needless to say, this made learning history at a university difficult considering most classes are purely oral.

So my concern is this.....How do I explain my undergrad experience in a positive light WITHOUT mentioning ADHD? Now that I am on medication I dont feel disadvantaged at all. I have never told anyone I know besides my family that I am on medication or that I even have ADHD. I have of course had conversations with people about ADD(who didnt know I had it) but Ive never once heard an understanding voice about people with the disorder. In a couple cases I have talked with people who I barely know but I found out they had ADD. When I tell them my story they look at me skeptically and figure I did it just to score some drugs.

I mean, do you think its better to just flat out lie to the adcom and say I spent those 4.5 years drunk and partying but now my act is together or do I explain my real situation. At the end of this semister I will have a 2.9gpa and 3.3 science(would be much higher if I didnt take (and bomb) a few chemistry classes in college "for fun"). I dont imagine I have a prayer of getting into dental school so I will likely apply next year with better numbers and perhaps a masters program in the works and hope for the best. The glaring hole of an undergrad career I had still haunts me however. Finding a way to explain it could very well make or break me I imagine.

not to be a jerk but after reading the posts in this thread, all the posts in this thread seem to provide evidence for the arguement that ADD or ADHD dont exist. both you and the OP state that you had very strong academic records from HS: 4.0 gpa, valedictorian, high SAT scores, accepted to competitive undergrad etc. maybe im missing something but if you truly have a learning disability then shouldnt it have caused a problem in HS too? while i dont doubt that learning disabilities exist, people cant help but be skeptical with stories like yours. it doesnt look like ADD hindered your performance in HS, but now that you are seeking admission to dental school and your grades are not that competitive, you want to tell the world about your learning disability. it seems more like an excuse to explain away your poor academic performance. everyone gets distracted or "zones out" during boring lectures or while studying, if thats what it takes for a diagnosis of ADD then the whole world would probably have it.

not to be a jerk but after reading the posts in this thread, all the posts in this thread seem to provide evidence for the arguement that ADD or ADHD dont exist. both you and the OP state that you had very strong academic records from HS: 4.0 gpa, valedictorian, high SAT scores, accepted to competitive undergrad etc. maybe im missing something but if you truly have a learning disability then shouldnt it have caused a problem in HS too? while i dont doubt that learning disabilities exist, people cant help but be skeptical with stories like yours. it doesnt look like ADD hindered your performance in HS, but now that you are seeking admission to dental school and your grades are not that competitive, you want to tell the world about your learning disability. it seems more like an excuse to explain away your poor academic performance. everyone gets distracted or "zones out" during boring lectures or while studying, if thats what it takes for a diagnosis of ADD then the whole world would probably have it.

ADD and ADHD might be over diagnosed but using this thread as evidence of its nonexistence might not be exactly prudent. I have ADD and can waste time, zone out, and forget all the time, act impulsively,,,,,but I am motivated.

Most when deciding on a competative carear must be motivated, and this trumps any kind of minor learning disability.

A large percentage of people diagnosed as ADD have above normal inteligence.

ADD and ADHD might be over diagnosed but using this thread as evidence of its nonexistence might not be exactly prudent. I have ADD and can waste time, zone out, and forget all the time, act impulsively,,,,,but I am motivated.

Most when deciding on a competative carear must be motivated, and this trumps any kind of minor learning disability.

A large percentage of people diagnosed as ADD have above normal inteligence.

im not saying i think ADD doesnt exist however the posts by loop, the OP, and a few others seem kind of hard to believe. they never had any academic trouble before and did very well in HS. for ADD to suddenly begin to hurt their academic acheivement in college is hard for me to believe. it just seems like some of those people are trying to make excuses. if it is true that motivation trumps a minor learning disability then these people should have been able continue their strong performance in college. it must of been lack of motivation or desire or something else, not ADD that kept those people from doing well.

im not saying i think ADD doesnt exist however the posts by loop, the OP, and a few others seem kind of hard to believe. they never had any academic trouble before and did very well in HS. for ADD to suddenly begin to hurt their academic acheivement in college is hard for me to believe. it just seems like some of those people are trying to make excuses. if it is true that motivation trumps a minor learning disability then these people should have been able continue their strong performance in college. it must of been lack of motivation or desire or something else, not ADD that kept those people from doing well.

I see, i know a lot of kids who do poorly and are "normal". And like I said if you are truely motivated learning disability or not you get the job done. I know at my school they have a disability policy, and will acomidate people with ADD. I know I have been offered acomidations (mostly a quiet testing room, or longer testing period), refused because I am good at tests just not studying. ADD can be an more of a asset then a handicap as long as you understand how you study and think, and make adjustments to study scheadule and life.